Help disconnect DRL!

DRLs are as useless at teats on a bull....it's just something General Motors started in 1995...Thank God Ford doesn't have them as a standard item...

There isn't any Daytime Module that you can disconnect!

You will have to have the smart junction box reprogrammed to turn off the Daytime running lights

by your dealer.

Richard and Barbie

Edited by BlueLtd

You will have to have the smart junction box reprogrammed to turn off the Daytime running lights

by your dealer.

Richard and Barbie

Thanks for ur replay. The dealer will not do that for me. Because it is against the law, I am living Canada.

"Y I want to disable DRL. "

Because it do not have enough power supply for daytime running light, I change the hid headlight. So that is y.

Is any other ideal to let my hid light working well as I use the normal bulb. I do not want to get any trouble with short circuit.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

by your dealer.

Richard and Barbie

BlueLtd,

I have been in contact with a FORD dealer and they are perplexed on how to accomplish this since when they look at the wiring (shop's manual), all of the lighting go thru a single module. This module - forgot what he called it, controls the lights inside and outside of the vehicle.

They (FORD dealer) have sent an e-mail to FORD Tech support on how to disable the DDL...Hopefully, they'll get an answer soon.

However, if you have done this or know someone who has, do you have some information on HOW this can be accomplished..?

BTW, I am also Canadian and the FORD dealers here in Canada do NOT want to touch this since it is against the law to have a vehicle without DDL.

In the US, it's a complete different story...

As to WHY I want to disable the DDL ? --> I have my fog's hotwire to be ON all of the time (of course I can still turn them on at a flip of a swich..)..So it defeats the purpose of having both DDL and Fog's ON. It a matter of taste --> FOG's for me.

P.S. In old days, FORD had a module located near the fender that controlled the DDL. All that you needed to do was to unplug this module....I also have a Pathfinder (1997) which has an equivalent module.

The Wife drives a 2002 Honda Odissey. Honda made it "smarter" as there are 2 fuses to remove, and voila, no more DDL.

The Daytime Running lights are controlled by the smart juntion box, ( SJB)

The module is located under the dash.

It is programmable with a IDS scanner via the OBDll connector.

You can go to exterior lighting then Daytime Running Lights ( DRL) and turn on or off this feature.

Yes I know that DRL are required in Canada and I am not sure if Ford Tech Help Line

will allow the dealer to reprograme this module.

Section 417-01 and 418 of the workshop manual describe how the module works and also the

procedure for programming a new module.

I usually get requests to turn on the Daytime Running Lights from dealers......oh well thats a totally different situation.

Hope this helps.

Richard and Barbie

Edited by BlueLtd

As to WHY I want to disable the DDL ? --> I have my fog's hotwire to be ON all of the time (of course I can still turn them on at a flip of a swich..)..So it defeats the purpose of having both DDL and Fog's ON. It a matter of taste --> FOG's for me.

I'm with ya on this one! PLUS...it just looks sooooo cool with just the fogs and park lights.

How did you hotwire them to have them on all the time? Can you gimme a breakdown? Thx!

Steve

• 1 year later...

You can go to exterior lighting then Daytime Running Lights ( DRL) and turn on or off this feature.

Yes I know that DRL are required in Canada and I am not sure if Ford Tech Help Line

Section 417-01 and 418 of the workshop manual describe how the module works and also the

I usually get requests to turn on the Daytime Running Lights from dealers......oh well thats a totally different situation.

Hope this helps.

Richard and Barbie

I figure you seem to be the people with the most info on the matter, so i'm gonna throw my question at ya... i think you might be able to help. My question is, can the box be reprogrammed to switch which headlight would be the DRL's without having to cut wires or modify relays etc.. etc...

this is my idea...

I as well have the H11 on the low beam as my DRL's. I would like to change these to HID but there are 2 things stopping me: 1)is the DRL's. 2) I'm waiting for someone to start making projection headlight for the EDGE.

Anyway, my solution for the DRL's is more complicated than simply reprogramming some box.

My solution involves rewiring the headlights so that the low beam wires go down to the high beam bulb making the high beam bulb the DRL's/Low Beam, and then wiring the HIGH BEAM to the low beam bulb

so that the high beam is the top bulb rather than the bottom one.

That would mean that for my low beam (top of the headlight) to light up, I would have to maintain my HIGH BEAM on (making the constant blue light come on which might turn annoying)

Of course, to solve THAT problem, all I have to do is rewire the light switch stick... between the low beam and the hight beam.

Like I said, mine is harder and complicated... but it would work, and I would still maintain my DRL's for legal reason, and still be able to wire some HID into the top of the headlight H11s.

It would be great if you could me figure that out as you seem to be quite knowledgeable about the matter.

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...

Hope this helps.

Richard and Barbie

A little bit off topic, and well off forum for that matter.....

Anyone know if this will work with a 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid. Ford decided to only make fleet orders have the DRL option available and we would love to have them on our Escape Hybrid Limited. I have tried finding the 09 shop manual for sale but Helminc shows they haven't been released yet :(

A little bit off topic, and well off forum for that matter.....

Anyone know if this will work with a 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid. Ford decided to only make fleet orders have the DRL option available and we would love to have them on our Escape Hybrid Limited. I have tried finding the 09 shop manual for sale but Helminc shows they haven't been released yet :(

It probably is possible but only with the IDS tool (that's a dealer tool not available to the public). So you can't set it yourself anyway.