I think i have a Transmission Problem

ericklein89

My transmission in my 2007 Ford Edge seems to not go in 2nd or 3rd gear. I don't have a lot of money and I know from the past, if i take it to a transmission place they will charge and arm and a leg. They will also probably want to install a new trans. If anyone is out there in has any suggestions or know of a recall, I would appreciate it very much. I drive over 120 miles a day for work and can't afford not to have the vehicle.

Thanks for any help you can give.....

Eric

Some auto supply stores (Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc) will scan your car for free.

or

You could try resetting the transmission to the factory default.

There's a procedure on some of the Ford forums.

Basically it tells you to disconnect the battery, both cables

Some people say to hold the cables together for a few minutes or connect them together

Turn the key to the run position

Turn the headlights on

Hold your foot on the brake pedal

Then hook the battery up.

Start the car

Run the transmission thru all the gears

Go for a drive... neighborhood, stop and go and freeway

If you do the reset and it doesn't help you’ll need to drive for a few days before having the codes read.

Good Luck

ab

• 10 months later...

My 2007 Edge had the transmission fail at 92k. Since I had an extended warranty Ford instructed the dealer to install a new one and guarantee it for 3 years or 100k miles. I love my Edge and its been a great car. The only problem Ford has is making transmissions which last as long as the rest of the car. I dont understand why they cant seem to do that. I have been driving various Fords for many year and over half had some kind of transmission problem under 100k miles. A few had them under 50k. I am an easy drive and always have all maintenance done.

• 7 months later...

im at 116.000 and I just got the truck feb2013 and it had 100.000 I feel once in a blue slight slippage. u know when ur driving down the road and u deside to really step on the petal well my rpms jump up and then calm down which is a slip so im goin to drop the the trans fuild and replace it with new full syn fuild and add a lil stop slip in it and see how it feels then

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Found this quick video showing how to check ATF level. Remember to verify in the owner's manual, but basically, from a cold start, run your engine for about 20 miles at highway speeds (stop and go will be too variable). Park the vehicle and apply the parking brake. Run through the gears slowly one at a time, while also firmly keeping your foot on the service brake pedal. Return to PARK, then follow the procedure in the video below.

http://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2008_Ford_Edge_SE_3.5L_V6/transmission_fluid/check_fluid_level

This shows a fluid change on a Flex, but should be very similar for the Edge:

Use one of these funnels to avoid fillup spillage :)

http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-FloTool-06064-Transmission-Funnel/dp/B00004X143/

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W