PTU (Transfer Case)

delsol25

• 2 months later...

Based upon detailed information posted elsewhere on this forum I fixed my transfer case problem for about $150.00.

My mechanic drilled a hole in the bottom of the case. We drained out the old fluid (very little came out, 145,000 miles).

We cleaned the top of the case with solvent since it was covered in thickened grease/fluid.

We ran kerosene through the case 2 times, than we ran Mobil 1 gear oil through it twice.

it now does not drop grease on the floor and it works like new.

Don't know why Ford would not recommend this procedure.

Same here, almost the same miles (I noticed mine leaking at about 100k). Drilled and plugged it, then did the kerosene flush, and replaced with amzoil gear lube once per month for 3 months. During the first couple flush/changes it was still barfing up a little oil, but now on the last change it's holding great with no leaks. I plan to change fluid on it yearly from now until we decide to sell it.

I didn't look inside the case, but the old fluid was about the consistency of (chunky!) peanut butter, and it had a little metal in it (only small glitter, no filings or dinner plates), so there is hope for others that you may not have trashed your ptu if it's still in the fluid dripping stage. Mine was barfing up a few drops every drive for about 2 months before I realized it was a serious problem and took action.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

As an update this same PTU has been going strong (no leaks) for the last 10k miles after the fluid change. I have a local quick lube shop trained in draining the fluid (They have a lift - I don't). I'm taking it in for the annual change right now and will report back the fluid condition.

• Like 1