Engine rattle right at cold engine start.

Troy75

Hi All,

I recently purchased a 2007 Ford Edge AWD from a local Ford dealership and they seem to be having problems pinning down an engine noise that only happens for a second on a cold start the moment the engine transitions from turning over to starting. They've been pointing to TSBs regarding clicking sounds, but the clicking sounds they are referring to aren't the ones that I'm concerned with. I checked on here, and everyone else seems to be having the clicking sound of the taps or whatever rotating during normal engine operation. The sound I'm getting is only a second long, sounds like a rattle and is immediately when the engine first fires up after sitting cold for about 4hrs.

I took a video of it this morning, and I can hear it, but it wasn't as loud as it has been, so I'm hoping others will be able to hear it and have some sort of an idea as to what's causing this, b/c the dealership is now trying to slaugh it off and not fix the issue.

http://youtu.be/NxX5Gu7CD88

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Troy

Using 5W20? Sounds like slow engine pressure to me at start up. Also....do you start engine with a heavy foot....give it gas like in old days before electronics....ie... rev it up at start? Try starting without touching accelerator and foot off gas. Still do it?

Using 5W20? Sounds like slow engine pressure to me at start up. Also....do you start engine with a heavy foot....give it gas like in old days before electronics....ie... rev it up at start? Try starting without touching accelerator and foot off gas. Still do it?

Using the recommended oil viscosity, it's been maintained at the Ford dealership and they apparently changed the oil over again. I don't touch the gas when starting fuel injected engines. :)

I've mentioned the oil pressure to them and even asked about changing viscosity to see if that would fix the issue, but they weren't able to give me an answer; just basically said that I'd have to "live with it".

I called up the service manager and chewed him about a bit about the blinker fluid change fixes. So far they've taken the front cover off and looked at the timing chain; no visible damage but they're changing the phaser and another part. Will know more next week and will post back in case anyone else has the same problem.

• 4 weeks later...