2012 Edge Headlights Always On??

Wife and I bought a CPO 2012 Limited almost two months ago. We are both very happy with the car. One thing I've noticed is that it seems that headlights automatically come on...now let me get into the specifics.

First, no, the lamp switch is not in the "automatic" position.

If I get into the car, and don't put the key in or start it, the headlight switching works fine (parking, ON, auto, etc)

However, if I start the car and put it in drive the headlights automatiically come on even if the switch is in the OFF position.

Or, if I start the car, and move the switch to either Parking or ON, the headlights come on (parking light funcitonality does not work).

At this point, even turn the knob off and on does not turn the lights off - they stay on until I shut the car off.

The headlights, amber, and LED lights are always on. I am in California and have tried to read about the DRL issue. From what I've read though it seems that the DRL's are lower output (80%?) of the regular headlights. I don't see any difference in output if I switch from Off to On. It's inconvenient sometimes pulling in places at night and not being able to turn the lights off, and blinding people, neighbors, etc....

Any ideas? I appreciate any help in advance. I've googled my question and searched here but haven't seen a solid answer. Forgive me if I've overlooked something.

As in Canada, your edge uses the headlights as DRL. The difference between daytime and nightime brightness is subtle. It is easiest to see the difference just before dusk when the sensor still has the lights at daytime. Park against a wall or facing some storefront glass. Switch your headlight control between auto and on and you will see a slight difference. Or if you have a garage, pull up to the open garage with the vehicle outside and the lights shining into the dark garage. Switch between auto and on and you should see the difference.

Anytime the vehicle is in gear, the headlights will be on.

DRLs are a fleet only option in the US, so if the previous owner was a rental company, government or some kind of company car leasing company, they can order the DRL turned on from the factory. But the DRL feature will not turn on the rear lights, so make sure you still put the headlight switch in auto or on when it's actually dark out.

• Like 2

SoCalEdge2012 & Prinzll: Since they apparently lack experience with Daytime Running Lights, ask the Service Department at your respective Ford dealerships to contact the Ford Tech Help Line.

Ford Edge & Lincoln MKX DRLs are controlled by the Smart Junction Box, an electronic module under the dash. The DRL function can be "enabled" or "disabled" under the "Exterior Lighting" programming menu by the Service Technician using an IDS Scanner with the OBDII connector.

As Waldo mentioned, your vehicle may have been a fleet order with the Smart Juction Box programmed as DRL "enabled" at the factory.

My local Ford dealer activated the DRLs on my new 2012 MKX equipped with HID headlights, so like Scorpio mentioned, only my amber turn signal bulbs are lit when the MKX transmission is in any gear other than Park.

Took the dealer less than 30 minutes to enable mine and they charged me nothing to perform this service.

Based on my experience and past DRL discussions I've read on this and other Edge/MKX discussion web sites, there's no reason why your DRLs cannot be "disabled" as long as your dealer is willing to learn how to perform the service from the Ford Tech Help Line and the dealer has the necessary programming tools and connector cable.

Good luck!