Help with TRS HID wire harness

So my current HID kit is the DDM Tuning 35w kit. I've had issues when using the automatic feature where sometimes one bulb won't fire up so I have to turn them off then back on and it will work. My current solution that resolves this issue is not using the auto feature and turning them off and on manual, don't seem to have a problem with one not firing up this way.

So I decided to get the TRS wire harness to see if that would solve the issue, but here is where the problem comes in. I hooked it up the only way I thought was correct, + to + on battery, - to - on batter, one connector to one ballast, one to the other, and then the input connector to the driver side stock connection for on/off since it's closest to the battery. The problem is when I turn the lights on the relays click and the red lights on them light up and the lights don't come on.

My only thought is the car doesn't like that the other stock headlight connection is no longer connected to anything. Thoughts?

Hmm... Did you check the fuse (including the ones in the ford fuse panel near the ebrake pedal) I had no problems, but my harness relay lights up green with my ddm and with my trs kit.

Did you call their customer service? They were great for me over the phone and had me up and running in 3 minutes.

I think I may have also had to flip around one of the connectors as well... I think the ddm was red and black wires, while the trs harness uses blue and white.

I'm not near my car until later this afternoon, but I'll check it out for you (keep in mind I use the trs ballasts and bulbs now).

Edited by candurin

Total HID n00b here. Just some random thoughts, other than mis-wiring:

1) With the original DDM harness, did the bulb fail to come on only on one side? If so, tried switching sides on the bulbs, and/or harnesses/ballasts?

2) Possibly the DDM setup was drawing too much power when "cold", and you "warmed" them up by auto-on, then switching off, then manual-on again.

3) Too much resistance in the circuit, possibly early warning signs of a short.

HTH.

the bulb that failed to come on wasn't always the same side. and i stopped using auto-on all together and just manually turn them on and have yet to have an issue that way.

i took the harness back out and hooked it back up like I had it and everything works fine, minus the auto-on. I'll look at it again today to see if I can figure it out. I'd figure if a fuse was bad they wouldn't work once I took the harness back out.

Edited by c_bova

I had a problem with my ddm tuning set up as well (was blowing fuses) with their relay harness. so i took the hole thing out and started fresh with the TRS set up, no relay just the canbus adapter, it works perfect, the only two issues are when you plug their harness into the ford factory plug its upside down, so you cant use the snap lock on the plug unless you remove the wires from the trs plastic plug and reverse them,or you can just run a piece of electrical tape around the plug to hold them together, and the bulbs are a little tough the get in . but this trs kit with the canbus adapter is just plug and play . works great.

my woes continue. right headlight fired up for a second then went back out, turned lights off then back on and it stayed on. in contact with ddm tuning to determine whether its the bulb or ballast. I guess after work today I'll be swapping sides the bulb is on to see if it follows.

Swap out the rest of the ddm crap for morimotos and you'll be good to go :)

Have to agree thats what i did ..... yanked out the ddm and installed trs (morimotos ) and been working fine ever since... the real kicker is ddm is only a couple miles from my house, i went in person to buy them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

the replacement ballast has yet to fail firing up yet, the other one that wasn't replaced does occasionally though. I've thought about sending it back, but I hate the fact that it takes over a month for the turn around so I said forget it and if it fails to fire up I just turn the lights off and back on and it works.

Dingo, good idea. Any details on the size and a source to get them (Radio Shack, auto parts store)?

Bova, I didn't think about the long lead-time. Not going to wait a month for one. May just buy another brand ballast off ebay if Dingo's capacitor doesnt work.