Getting the Sport ready for Winter

So today I began getting the Sport ready for winter. Last year I was given a few cans of Crystal View Chemicals Nano Diamond shield Spray on paint protection. (http://www.crystalvi....com/about-cvc/) I have to say that it took me longer to properly prep the Edge for application than to apply and wipe the excess carrier fluid from my vehicle after applying it. It worked well for about 9 months and only during the summer did i notice that the protection offered by it was diminishing in most areas and completely gone in others. So I was in the market to try something new. Ford Edge Forum member "Richy" who happens to be a Board of Director member on the detailing forum Live2detail gave me lots of help and led me to the combination of DuraGloss (DG) Products that I used today. He suggested a thorough cleaning with Dawn dish detergent to remove surface dirt, grime, grease, oils and any old coatings. I actually washed the car twice with Dawn using a two bucket method (One for soapy wash water, a second for clean water to rinse the chenille wash mitt after every pass on the vehicle). After washing twice with Dawn, I used a CarPro product called Iron-X. Iron-X is a unique car shampoo which seeks out and eliminates iron and ferrous metal deposits on the surface and impacted into your paint. This step was done twice as well.

(Read more here: http://www.autogeek....-x-cleaner.html

Here is a photo of Iron-X at work on the hood of my White Edge, you'll notice all of the red spots as the ferrous metals are being broken down.

th_IMG_20121005_150341.jpg

th_IMG_20121005_150346-1.jpg

More red dots, they slowly popped up everywhere it seemed.

th_IMG_20121005_151240-1.jpg

Once the hood was rinsed and dried, I used a Meguiars Clay bar and clayed the vehicle. To my surprise, it was a quick procedure and one half of one bar was all I used, and it remained very clean upon my completion. I wiped down each panel with Isopropyl alcohol on a small square of Microfiber cloth. I now had a squeaky clean area to start applying polish.

For polish I used a mixture of DuraGloss DG501 mixed with DG601in a 4:1 ratio. The DG601 is a bonding agent that helps polishes last longer by creating a strong chemical bond. (http://www.autogeek....ding-agent.html) DG501 was the polish I used in order to have the most protection through this fall and winter. (http://www.autogeek....olish--501.html) I applied this product mixture using a new Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital polisher that I purchased from BJs wholesale club online. (http://www.bjs.com/s...0765stdcrd.html) *I got mine for $89. a few days ago but see that they went up. Keep an eye out for a price drop on this.*

Speaking of polishing with a machine...I have to admit I was a little intimidated trying a machine for the first time, but after playing around with it on another vehicle, I confidently used it on my Edge with fantastic results! I'm a true believer in dual action polishers!

I first applied the DG501/601 combo with a 5.5" Buff and Shine brand Green colored pad, and then wiped clean the hood with a clean microfiber towel. Next I applied a DG105/601 (http://www.autogeek....nce-polish.html) combo with a Buff and Shine brand Blue colored pad, wiping with a different microfiber cloth. Last up was a finish coat of Colonite 845 insulator wax. Colonite 845 is widely regarded as one of the best carnauba waxes you can buy, and I quickly saw why. After applying a super thin layer of 845 using the polisher and a separate blue pad the paint looked a mile deep, was slick to the touch, the metallic paint sparkled like never before and the finish look dripping wet. I couldn't be more thrilled with the combination and the results. I'm more thrilled that I've added a random orbital polishing tool to my garage and look forward to learning how to master it. Many thanks to Richy for answering all my questions.

Here's a nice reflective shot of my front grill.

th_IMG_20121005_175112.jpg

Beading in the rain

IMG_20121010_100132.jpg

Edited by Edgieguy
  • Like 1

I'm delighted everything went so well for you, that makes me happy! You made me laugh when I read you tried your machine on someone else's car first....

Anyway, I love the beading shot and wait till you see how easy it will be to wash it. Sheet the water when you rinse and you'll barely have to dry anything off. Next to a coating, that is the best combo you can get...period!

I'm delighted everything went so well for you, that makes me happy! You made me laugh when I read you tried your machine on someone else's car first....

Anyway, I love the beading shot and wait till you see how easy it will be to wash it. Sheet the water when you rinse and you'll barely have to dry anything off. Next to a coating, that is the best combo you can get...period!

Richy,

Thanks for all the direction! I really do appreciate the info and your time!

Great writeup. Thanks EdgieGuy and richy! I plan to use this method for washing/claying first, just to see how it goes. Then at a later date the polishing (looking to buy the PC DA) & waxing/sealing.

Thanks for reading along. I LOVE this polisher! I was so nervous about using a machine after owning a horrible craftsman polisher that used terrycloth bonnets in the 80's and looked like a steering wheel! This thing is great! I cant wait to work on the Explorer when it comes back from the dealer.

Well, I guess I know what Im have in store for me, I better get busy. Your Sport looks awesome, unbelieveable beading.

Joe, I'm telling you it never looked better. It seems like its not even so orange peely anymore. It shines! Its deep, its slick! We'll do the MKX next! Uhhhh after the wifes Ex! or she might be an Ex wife.

• 1 month later...

Great writeup. Thanks EdgieGuy and richy! I plan to use this method for washing/claying first, just to see how it goes. Then at a later date the polishing (looking to buy the PC DA) & waxing/sealing.

Which one (7424 or 7336)? The difference between the two is the larger counterweights in the 7336 which leads to smoother operation, even at higher oscillations.

Me being a lightweight in the cleanup/detailing world, gotta take it slow, hence the 7424 = logical choice.

Started the washing job on the Edge yesterday, discovered the horror of swirls in the sun. Eeek!

Regardless, the first time around, I am only going to clean the truck, then seal the paint with some sort of wax to get thru the winter. Spring rolls around, that's the time to do a full jobbie on it. hope to document it at that point.

I got some LC orange and white pads to go with Meguiar's 105/205 series. Supposed to be really easy for novices, plus the polishing compound is easily available locally.

I might try the DG/B&S combo Edgieguy recommended above, if I can get them at a good price.

Not sure what kind of paint the Edge has (soft/hard), so I will have to be extra cautious the first time around. I have only ever handpolished a car, once, a LONG time ago. That was a lot of work :)

I got some LC orange and white pads to go with Meguiar's 105/205 series. Supposed to be really easy for novices, plus the polishing compound is easily available locally.

I might try the DG/B&S combo Edgieguy recommended above, if I can get them at a good price.

Not sure what kind of paint the Edge has (soft/hard), so I will have to be extra cautious the first time around. I have only ever handpolished a car, once, a LONG time ago. That was a lot of work :)

Which polishing compound? That's one step you have to be VERY careful with, rotary or not.

• 1 month later...

Hey fellow Edge owners! I recently bought an AWD Tuxedo Black Limited and love it!!! But after seeing all of the Sport models in this forum, it makes me wish I had spent the extra cash on the Sport myself. All of the Edge's here look awesome and I can't wait to try some or all of the advice on the detailing thread. Thanks for all of the pointers and have a great new year!

• Like 1