HIDS Help - DDM Tuning.

I have been an avid reader of this forum for many weeks now - Thanks to everyone who contributes.

Based on reading several recommendations I purchased the 35w DDM tuning HIDS for my '11 Edge SEL.

Had them installed tonight, and I swear I could see better with the OEM's.

The installer said it was projector beam, and that no aiming was necessary.... but Something is off, I feel as if I am lighting up everything aside from the area in front of me. Please help, as now I feel more unsafe on the roads - I can see the sides of the roads well... and the high beams are HIGH ...but in front of me, not great.

Any suggestions ??? Here are a few pics I snapped at around 30 feet.

Thanks for ANY help...

post-24361-0-29798500-1351133907_thumb.jpg

post-24361-0-58483600-1351133912_thumb.jpg

post-24361-0-05040900-1351133918_thumb.jpg

I figured out the problem, but not the solution.

The 9006 has 3 prongs on it, and these 3 tabs must lock into the housing (somehow) and now, upon further inspection only 2 of the 3 are inserted properly.

I tried and tried to get the 3rd but could not, and do not know why.... Ironically if i turn it around only 1 tab securely locks in place - but in that manner the beam pattern looks a lot cleaner

and more how I was accustom to seeing the OEM stock bulbs.

is the 9006 the wrong bulb ?? Should I have ordered a different one ?? I bought the 9006/HB4

Anyone else had this issue ?? Can I modify the bulb to make it work ??

Thanks in advance for all of your help... I am sure they will look amazing once seated properly.

Thanks Dingo.

After 1.5 hours, some scuffed knuckles and a pretty banged up makeup mirror that I stole from the wife, the tabs are in.

Although I dont think the whole bulb turns fully when they are all in, but they are all in and it seems like a very tight fit, no wiggle or play at all.

post-24361-0-01997700-1351148682_thumb.jpg

I have almost a straight cutoff line now ! YA !!! ..... And it seems more intense. I took it for a drive and its a LOT better.

I have to find that installer, as he has a punch in the face coming his way.

Edited by RobbN

Are you saying that their is a wire "in front" of the bulb, casting a shadow ??

Their isnt any wires going into the projector, Can a wire behind the bulb cause a shadow ??

I do not love the thought of fighting with those tabs again.......

Anyone near Chicago or Milwaukee ??? Any other tips or tricks ?? It almost seems as if the headlight unit needs to come out to do this properly.

I'd say definitely check the headlight unit, with the lights off, with a flashlight. May be something stuck to it or there's a hairline crack or something. Could be inside OR outside the unit.

Bulb could have the defect too. If you look at the original pics you posted, the "finger" is highlighted, instead of shadowed in the later pic.

on the bulb itself there is a wire that goes from the tip to the end of the bulb. if when you put the bulb in it it gets positioned so that it is at the bottom it will cast a shadow. there is nothing wrong with your headlight. kc300 had a video on this, let me find it.

edit:

i put the video at the time where it shows what you have to do

Edited by c_bova
  • Like 1

Update : Okay I have had this bulb out about 3 times, and printed out the diagram on the video.

Heres my thoughts.... I am stuck with the finger.

Their are 2 larger tabs at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock and a smaller tab around the 6pm range. - With that configuration the smaller tab only lines up and can be pushed in when the

top tabs are aligned. So I line up all the tabs and the "Bar" that runs on the outside of the bulb is facing straight up, when I turn the bulb in the tabs and I turn as far as they can turn

being totally locked in the "bar" is facing the passenger fender of the car, its hot horizontal, when I turn this bulb as far as I can turn it the "Bar" is probably 15 degrees away from

being able to be perfectly horizontal.

I had tried to turn the bulb, but the way the housing tabs are spaced it seems impossible to make that bar horizontal - and everytime I put the bulb back in.... It gives me the finger.

at full power the finger isn't super noticeable and I am am out of ideas on how any other way this bulb can be positioned.

I know none of what I am saying makes sense as the driver side light has no finger. - so their must be a way. Also the Passenger side seems a bit less powerful, and I dont know

why that is either.....

Frustrated..

Either way, as the tabs are separated by such degree (10,2, and 6 o'clock) I am really confused on how the tabs could go in any other position. -

I am frustrated with this, and even after 2 sessions of about 1.5 hrs each or racking my brain on this one and trying to get this bulb in this housing ANY other way

or in ANY other configuration..... I can not seem to get it to work... At this point in time, I may just be flipping other drivers the finger.