Auto-on headlights do not work with HID and remote start.

On my 2011 Edge SEL, I have a compustar alarm, autostart. I love the comp-star stuff as its a quality product.

Now that my HID's are installed, - with my switch on "auto" when I put my key in the ignition and click it to the "accessory" both headlights come on, then when I move it past accessory and I crank the engine over the drivers HID goes out. The only way to re-light the HID is to turn the headlight knob to "parking" then back to the "on" position.

Subsequently anytime I remote start the vehicle at dusk, in the garage, or at night.... only the passenger HID fires up and again I have to manually turn off

the lights (both of them) and then back to the "on" position to make both of the HIDS fire up.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue ??

thanks so much.

I had that issue with my DDM kit, got the wire harness and still had an issue. I sent the ballast back and they tested it and said it was a faulty ballast so they are sending me a replacement.

I swapped bulbs to make sure it wasn't that and it still happened so that's how I figured it was the ballast. I even have the good TRS wire harness and it did it with or without it.

Edited by c_bova

Hummm.... I have the DDM Tuning harness, and both sides are grounded.

Did anyone find a solution to this ?? - Do you think if I swapped the ballast I would see the passenger side not fire up ?

I will try to swap ballast side(s) - to narrow down the problem.

Is their anyone else that had success or failure stories ??

Thanks again.

I'm pretty certain it is not caused by a bad ballast, since I'm having the same problem with my DDM 35W system with wire harness. Both headlights flash in auto on. I bought a second set s Christmas gift for my son and tried that one on my Edge and the flashing issue continues with them as we'll. I seldom use the auto on! Since I like running my vertical LED running lights alone at dusk and dawn without the headlights on.

The auto on must put out some kind of funky voltage levels initially sent to the ballasts that the circuitry in the ballasts can't handle. The ballast circuitry may be seeing this funky voltage levels as a threat and trips the protection circuitry shutting the ballasts of and when the voltage returns to an acceptable level, the ballasts power up again.

As i discovered when developing my vertical LED running lights, the voltage in the Edge fluctuates up and down at a much wider range than other vehicles. Philips Automotive Lighting actually had to develop a new version of the controller for my lights in order to handle the irratic low and high voltage levels in the Edge. My LED running lights were turning on and off due to voltages dropping below the voltage threshold causing the DRLs to turn off (thinking the engine was turned off), then when the voltage surged back above the "On" voltage threshold the DRLs would power back on. It was very strange and unique to the Edge. It was finally corrected when Philips added a fourth wire that connects to an ignition circuit in the engine compartment fuse box. This fourth wire now triggers the DRLs to turn on and off by sensing the presence of voltage, not the voltage levels.

Maybe there is a way to incorporate this triggering method to solve the problem. Any comments from anyone on this possible solution?

Both sides would turn on, but would instanty begin flashing on and off. The flashing sequence that of a police car's headlighhts when they alternate back and forth. Maybe I should throw some red and blue film over the headlights and screw with my kids when they're on their way to school in thje morning. That will wake 'em up I bet

• Like 1

Both sides would turn on, but would instanty begin flashing on and off. The flashing sequence that of a police car's headlighhts when they alternate back and forth. Maybe I should throw some red and blue film over the headlights and screw with my kids when they're on their way to school in thje morning. That will wake 'em up I bet

I agree with c_bova...I've never seen that before...mine have flickered when first turning on but never "flash". May want to look into that...but for now have some fun with it haha

C_bova -

Interesting observation tonight, I went for a drive and had my headlights on ON, then moved them to auto. I then went into a store for about 10 minutes and auto-started my edge and both lights fired up. It seems as if my lights work on auto, if the edge hasn't been sitting overnight or for hours and hours.

So, if the truck is warm... the lights seem to fire up on auto.

Also, Re: DDM - Did they send you a new ballast - then you send the old one back, or did you have to go back to oem 9005's until the new ballast was sent back and an new one received ??

thanks -

• Like 1

Doesn't seem like DDM x-shipped. Though they MAY have an option to do so.

Re: the 10 minute test, probably enough residual voltage in the ballast to work correctly. If only we could crack one open to examine the circuitry inside, or get a curious engineer involved in testing ;)

Just starting to read up on how these things work, http://faqlight.shopower.com/hl-hid-ballasts.htm.

C_bova -

Interesting observation tonight, I went for a drive and had my headlights on ON, then moved them to auto. I then went into a store for about 10 minutes and auto-started my edge and both lights fired up. It seems as if my lights work on auto, if the edge hasn't been sitting overnight or for hours and hours.

So, if the truck is warm... the lights seem to fire up on auto.

Also, Re: DDM - Did they send you a new ballast - then you send the old one back, or did you have to go back to oem 9005's until the new ballast was sent back and an new one received ??

thanks -

I had to revert back to stock cause they wanted it back first. Then it took forever for the new one to come from china. If say it was almost a month turn around.

Both my bulbs would light before manually on and off but even when warm sometimes the one wouldn't fire on auto. So far so good with the new ballast.

• 6 months later...