17's or 18's for snow tires

normcloutier

I have a 13 SEL that has 20" Scorpion all seasons. I'm not sure what seasons they are referring to but after sliding around all day in the first snowfall of the season, I'll label them as 3 season lol.

I have never owned snow tires so I am wondering what the preference is for size? From the forum, 17's seem popular. Is it price? Performance?

Is it againt the law to see if some one needs wheels to go along with the tires he may be buying? All I did was ask....

After reading the same comment on several other posts from you, I just was wondering if this was going to be your only contribution to this forum. Why not just send a private message to anyone who asks about wheels for snow tires. Keeps the board questions and discussions on topic.

I also have some items for sale, but I have them listed over on the Classified topic. I don't add a post when ever I read a topic where someone talks about similar items.

I have a 13 SEL that has 20" Scorpion all seasons. I'm not sure what seasons they are referring to but after sliding around all day in the first snowfall of the season, I'll label them as 3 season lol.

I have never owned snow tires so I am wondering what the preference is for size? From the forum, 17's seem popular. Is it price? Performance?

Here is what I did last year:

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:35 AM

I went with 235/65/17 BFgoodrich Slalom KSI

(4) Black Steel Wheels

(4) 235/65/17 BFgoodrich Slalom KSI

(4) TPMS

Brand New Set up: installed, mounted, balanced , Taxes, enviro fees, OTD $ 1,194 Canadian (- Minus $50 BFgoodrich mail in, dealer 100 bonus air miles) Total OTD Cost $ $1,144

The dealer reprogrammed my edge sport awd to the new size so the speedo is accurate

Fitment is good and no clearance issues

The only difference i felt in the braking and handling was it seemed a bit easier to turn the steering wheel, less resistance

Update

Gas mileage and acceleration has improved with the smaller tire

The idea is the smaller the tire the better it cuts through the snow

Edited by tmbubell

After reading the same comment on several other posts from you, I just was wondering if this was going to be your only contribution to this forum. Why not just send a private message to anyone who asks about wheels for snow tires. Keeps the board questions and discussions on topic.

I also have some items for sale, but I have them listed over on the Classified topic. I don't add a post when ever I read a topic where someone talks about similar items.

And why not? Thats how you sell things..Just posting on classified and hoping someone sees it is not salesmanship. If I send a PM, then someone else who may be interested won't see the post. Does anyone else really see a problem with this? If so,,, I'll gladly remove my membership if we have such tight restrictions here. It's just a forum...

forum [ˈfɔːrəm]

n pl -rums, -ra [-rə]

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you that have TPM on your snow tires, did you use ones from Ford? How much would it cost to have a dealer program them if tires and wheels were bought elsewhere?

I bought a set of 4 TPMS sensors from a seller on eBay for under $60.00. When I had tires switched to different rims I had the sensors installed at the same time by Discount Tire. I don't know if they had to program the new sensors or not. I was getting the light on the dash board for the first 15 miles or so but it went away once I got on a freeway and drove 60 mph for several minutes.

I don't know if the sensors have to be programed by using a tool or if they just program themselves while driving.

WWW_CA do you have a law in BC that you have to have Winter tires by a certain dates or you get a ticket??

in Québec we are obligated to have winter tires by the 15 of december until the 15 of march.

P.

No law in BC regarding this. But, if you get in an accident, our provincial insurance company can decline insurance.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm new to this, so what is TPM?

and what do you program when you change tire size, the on board computer?

do you have to go to a Ford dealer to change the program or any place selling tires can do it?

TPM or TPMS is Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor. Each wheel has a sensor inside which is a radio transmitter and tire pressure monitor. Each sensor communicates with a module inside the car on a specific frequency, each sensor using the same frequency. When a tire goes below a set reading, or in some cases is a certain percentage different than the other tires, it will send a signal and your light on the dash board will come on.

The system in the Ford Edge will only alert that a tire is low, it will not tell you which tire, nor will it read and report each individual tire pressure reading. Other manufacturers use a more advanced system which on the dash will show each individual tire, it's position (LF, RR, etc), and each individual tire pressure reading such as 32 PSI.

The sensors need to be reset or placed in a learning mode sometimes, usually when they have been replaced, or when the tires have been rotated. The sensors are reset, not the module. I have rotated the tires on my Edge but did not have to reset the sensors. If a sensor does have to be reset, any tire installer should have the proper tool to do so, or you can buy a tool for around $50.00 which will reset the Edge's sensor. You don't have to go to a Ford dealer to have it done.

Edited by ls973800

According to Discount Tire's computer system that prints out "reminders" to the tire jockeys on the line, in the Edge there is a kind of rub your head while patting you belly to place the Edge's computer into a "reset mode" I watched as the tire tech tonight try over and over again to get it to cooperate. However after several attempts ... it appeared to just "reset itself" so maybe this is a new thing for the 2011's on. IDK.

This was similar to the process to disable the seat belt dinger. Only it worked.

Oskar27 - to answer your question about programming for different tire sizes, when you significantly alter the tire diameter size from lets say a 22" or 20" down to a 17" your speed odometer will read as much as 5 mph off. So you see you're doing 65 mph and you're really only doing 60 or 61 mph. In the cars computer, the dealer technician can tell the car's configuration what it has or doesn't have. Which in turn controls what you see and have access to on the instrument cluster. In this case, that its now rollin on 17"s and not 22"s - the computer takes care of the calculations from there.

Back in the day, this was a gear on the end of a flexible steel cable that ran from the transmission to the back of the speed odometer. Opps .. I just dated myself.. I digress.