New Edge Owner Looking for headlight upgrade

Steveoliv

Hi Guys,

I'm new here and I was wondering if any from California could let me know a good place to buy California legal headlights. I'm looking for an upgrade from stock and it seems that a lot aftermarket headlight aren't California legal or will not ship to California. I looked through a few thread but I couldn't find anyone from California who has tried this. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steveo

If you have an 08 edge there is a great solution. For the high beam switch to an H9 bulb using the NARVA brand. This is the latest and greatest bright bulb out there and it is DOT and EU legal. But you will need to trim the tabs on the bulb to match the pattern on the OEM bulb; not a big deal. For the low beam you want to replace the OEM bulb with another latest and greatest bright bulb that is DOT and EU legal, the 9012 HIR bulb. Again you will need to trim the bulbs tabs. Both of these bulbs will properly focus in the Edge's housing, and will last as long as the OEM bulb and they will not draw an excessive amount of current like must over wattage bulbs will. All 4 bulbs will set you back about $100.00 and will put a smile on your face. They are not tinted in any way like most of the blue tinted junk out there.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Another solution is to order Osram Nightbreakers which are +90 bulbs. They are EU legal and many places have started to sell them in US so they may have DOT approval soon. However I've been running them in my 98 Audi for low beam for 2 years now. They are a huge upgrade over Silverstarsor Silverstar Ultra by Osram and still only draw power like a 55W standard halogen. They don't melt sockets . They focus well and give about 100 ft more light distance on low beams , the pattern is wider also . The downside is life is usually only 2-4 yrs , the tradeoff is they supply amazingly bright white , not blue light . They even make a heavy-duty filament version for motorcycles . I have one friend who has been using them 3 yrs and hasn't had one fail yet. Price on Amazon or Ebay is usually better than buying standard Silverstars from a local parts store. I paid $38 for my bulbs , shipped from California . I would be cautious on ordering out of China or Hong Kong for fear of them being counterfeited parts . You would need H11 for low beams or 9005 bulbs for high beam .

Edited by BLACK ICE

• 1 month later...

Another solution is to order Osram Nightbreakers which are +90 bulbs. They are EU legal and many places have started to sell them in US so they may have DOT approval soon. However I've been running them in my 98 Audi for low beam for 2 years now. They are a huge upgrade over Silverstarsor Silverstar Ultra by Osram and still only draw power like a 55W standard halogen. They don't melt sockets . They focus well and give about 100 ft more light distance on low beams , the pattern is wider also . The downside is life is usually only 2-4 yrs , the tradeoff is they supply amazingly bright white , not blue light . They even make a heavy-duty filament version for motorcycles . I have one friend who has been using them 3 yrs and hasn't had one fail yet. Price on Amazon or Ebay is usually better than buying standard Silverstars from a local parts store. I paid $38 for my bulbs , shipped from California . I would be cautious on ordering out of China or Hong Kong for fear of them being counterfeited parts . You would need H11 for low beams or 9005 bulbs for high beam .

Has anyone done the H11 to H9 conversion on an Edge? They say to trim the tabs and it fits perfectly. The H9 has more lumen while not over heating the wires or plugs.

Here is a link to a Subaru Forum with a bunch of posts. The opening post show the difference in temps between the two at the wiring harness and plug....LINK

Hi Guys,

I'm new here and I was wondering if any from California could let me know a good place to buy California legal headlights. I'm looking for an upgrade from stock and it seems that a lot aftermarket headlight aren't California legal or will not ship to California. I looked through a few thread but I couldn't find anyone from California who has tried this. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steveo

Might want to try contacting DynamikiLLu51ons. See if they can make what you need.

http://www.facebook.com/DynamikiLLu51ons?ref=ts&fref=ts

They just shipped my headlights. Hoping to get them soon. I'm not in Cali, but you should still check them out. They should be able to customize your lights to your needs.