Universal Garage Door Opener Not Standard?

Cheese

Thats what I did. Since the 2011 Edge Sport didnt come with it either. I didnt feel comfortable cutting open my visor to put in the homelink module, and the whole visor from Ford with homelink is too expesive, and finding a used one in good shape and correct color was tough. The mirror was much easier to do for me. $60 used from ebay (looks brand new) for the mirror w/harness, 1hr for install.

DSC02286

Edited by Naverino

• 5 weeks later...

I found a factory OEM visor on Ebay for about $257, used discounted ebay gift cards to buy it, and it only took about 30 minutes to install.

Wife did not want to take a chance with building our own homelink with used unit, and having an upholstery shop fix the visor.

Works great, glad we did the upgrade!

just my 2 cents

I found a factory OEM visor on Ebay for about $257, used discounted ebay gift cards to buy it, and it only took about 30 minutes to install.

Wife did not want to take a chance with building our own homelink with used unit, and having an upholstery shop fix the visor.

Works great, glad we did the upgrade!

just my 2 cents

Having driven around for 3 years with a visor with a ragged seam showing I understand. The retrofit homelink worked great but I couldn't figure out how to get the cover off and back on without cutting it and I did not want to take it to an upholstery shop. I replaced the visor and went back to the clip on OEM opener.

• 2 months later...

I happened to get lucky and found a 2011 homelink visor Ebay that came from a salvaged Limited. I did a buy it now for $90 (including shipping from Texas to CA). My garage door opener had to be replaced as the chain drive gears had become stripped. I had a new Chamberlain installed that has Security+ 2.0 (rolling code security) so I was a little worried that the homelink wouldn't be compatible. I'm happy to report that the visor from the 2011 Limited that I installed in my 2012 SEL is Security+ 2.0 compatible.

On another note, as I was scouring the web for a homelink visors I did notice that there are a lot of auctions out there for vehicles that had suffered flood damage from Hurricane Sandy. So my best guess is that some of those may wind up being cut up for used parts so you may see some visors available on line after those cars are sold at auction.

• 3 years later...