First Oil Change?

edge1217

I have a 2013 Edge Limited AWD, which I've been driving under normal conditions since I picked it up brand new in late September. I currently have about 2,200 miles on it. I've read the owners manual about oil change intervals and the Oil Life Monitor, and all of that makes sense for on-going maintenance. However, I can't find any reference as to when to have the first oil change done. So my question is whether the first oil change should be done according to the regular oil change intervals (i.e., wait for the Oil Life Monitor message), or whether I need to do the first change a little sooner than the recommended on-going cycle? Or maybe the OIl Life Monitor is smart enough to get me in a little sooner for the first visit. I want to do the proper maintenance on this vehicle, but then again I also don't want to bring the car in too soon if that's just a waste of time, money, and oil.

Thanks!

Good question, don't have an answer for current generation vehicles. Supposedly now, the engines are "broken in" at the factory, plus the oil they put in there does not require a shortened first change interval.

The other key was gentle driving during this "break-in" period.

Better safe than sorry, I say. If the normal interval is 5,000 miles, I do the first oil change at 1/2 of that or 2,500 miles.

It's just one oil change, so I'd say well worth it if nothing else to put your mind at ease.

Waldo is right. In the "old days" the first change was important, and was noted in the owner's manuals. Some manufacturers shipped the vehicles with break-in oil in them. Machining of parts is light-years beyond what it was a generation ago. I had a Super Coupe that I couldn't wait to change the oil in. At about 5k miles it started burning oil. The dealer told me that the rings were not seating properly for some reason. :shades: They put in break-in oil for 1000 miles. Problem solved. Trust them, they know.

Thanks guys. I wanted to get your unbiased opinions before I called the Ford dealer. I never dealt with this dealer before and I figured he'd probably tell me to come in once he sensed my concern, so I needed a few other points of view first. I called the dealer after I saw your posts and he's saying pretty much the same as you guys. He says they recommend waiting until 5000 miles or 5 months, and that there's really no need to come in before that. Seems pretty reasonable to me. Thanks for your help, you guys are great!

Edited by edge1217

To me, when I change oil is about more than the oil change. It's also about when I want to rotate tires. I like to rotate tires about every 6000 miles or so, and that's when I change the oil......assuming it's a 6-9 month interval. Don't like to go more than that. I understand that's still a little early for some.

I did the first oil change in our 2012 Edge at 6200 miles. Rotated the tires. At next oil change, will rotate tires again, then maybe do 4 wheel alignment, or wait to closer to 18,000 for 4 wheel alignment. After I inspect the tires for how they are wearing.

I'm into perfect driving riding tires, all the way to around 50,000 miles or so on original tires. My experience is rear alignment is about as important as the front to accomplish that. So I think of it more as service intervals, not just oil change intervals. Will also do other services along the way that keep the vehicle driving and performing like new. Engine and cabin air filters, etc. Don't think it has a replaceable fuel filter.

Edited by RJG