comparing last generation Edge to current generation Edge

oldtonewedge

Hi all-

I have just traded in my beloved 2008 Edge SEL with 99,000 miles. The car fit me like a glove. Best car I've ever owned (and I've owned a lot!). Anyway, the question I have is for anyone who has owned the older style Edge (2007-2010) and is currently driving the newer style Edge (2011-2013). I noticed that my new 2013 SE is noticeably quieter and handles and brakes a little better. Gas mileage so far, is about the same (19 average). How about the tighter steering? Now for my "buyers remorse?" concerns: Since the changes to the suspension, what are your impressions of the overall comfort level, i.e. ride quality over uneven surfaces? Most people seem to think it's a great improvment, but others (like Cars.Com and Consumer Reports don't like the ride comfort at all). I think I'm over thinking the whole thing during the first 350 miles of driving my new car. Any comments and impressions would be welcome!

I owned a 2008 limited, then traded it for a 2011 Sport. I love my new sport, The interior is nicer, it's quieter, it accelerates quicker, stops quicker, and leans less than the 2008 limited. Even with the 22s the ride is better and I'm getting better mileage with a 3.7l engine than I did with the old 3.5. Outside I much prefer the facelift it was was given, and I think the rear lights are way better than the previous version. In short, I really liked my 2008 limited, but I LOVE my 2011 Sport.

Thanks for your reply. That seems to be the general concensus. I read that the Ford engineer in charge of the Edge (Feder?) did tweak the suspension in order to give the car better handling and a more "taut" driving experience. I just wondered if that was a good idea on a 4000 pound car. Heavy vehicles, in the past, were often loosly sprung in order to rebound comfortably over bumps and at the same time not transfer the heavy jarring into the cabin. According to other Edge owners, it seems like they found the perfect compromise. I'm comparing no other cars- just my old Edge to my new Edge. What do you guys think?

One of the things we like about our 3.5 L 2012 Limited Edge is the seat comfort on long trips. With one of us in rear. We have smaller, lighter, more economical cars to run, and cheaper to buy cars for shorter around town trips, but when we get ready to go someplace where we spend some time in the vehicle, it's the Edge we take.

BTW.....on recent 1200 mile round trip, about all Interstate, mostly near flat (except around Colmbia, SC) , 95% of time with cruise at 71-72, AC compressor off, car computer said fuel economy was just above 28 MPG (US), and my computing on fuel bought and miles driven was closer to 29 MPG. MFT and GPS performed flawlessly. My experience with AC compressor on over same trip in summer is about 1 MPG less. Admittedly almost ideal driving conditions. FL to NC and back.

Edited by RJG

Previous Edge: 2008 Edge SE

Current Edge: 2011 Limited

I know that mine is a drastic step up but the differences are as follows:

a) The 2011 is wider than the 2008 which leads to a more comfy cabin

B) The 2011 does handle better

c) The 2008's trans seemed to perform better

d) The 2011 is smoother and quieter

e) The 2011 has a more refined look that gets compliments every time I drive it

f) Both have good customization potential but need some tweaks performance wise

• 2 weeks later...

I went from a 2010 SEL to a 2011 SEL. The 10 had a much softer ride which I liked but the 11 just seems more solid and better built. Like others have said, the 11+ Edges handle road noise a ton better then the older versions. If I was in the market for a used Edge I would definitely be looking at the 11+ models but would settle for a super clean 10- if one presented itself.

I owned a 2008 edge SEL AWD and I traded it in for a 2011 Sport AWD. I like the 2011 ride better it is tight and sporty without being harsh. My SEL was very floaty in my opinion. I love the styling and the unique look of the sport with the 22 inch wheels. It's a real head turner.

Best investment I ever made, I'm a very proud owner.

I owned a 2008 edge SEL AWD and I traded it in for a 2011 Sport AWD. I like the 2011 ride better it is tight and sporty without being harsh. My SEL was very floaty in my opinion. I love the styling and the unique look of the sport with the 22 inch wheels. It's a real head turner. Best investment I ever made, I'm a very proud owner.