ambient lighting problem after sync update

I'm running V3.6.02 on both my 2011 Edge and 2011 Explorer. I have the ambient lighting set to red on both vehicles, but both of them will randomly revert to the factory ice blue setting from time to time. It's obviously some sort of software glitch. So until Ford decides to release an update that fixes it, I'll just keep setting it back to red every time it happens.

There is a TSB (posted here) for the ambient lighting that should normally repair the ambient lights resetting issue. Since it involves software updating on the APIM (MyFord Touch) it is included in the 5 year extended warranty. You should be able to get both your cars programmed by a dealer.

Drpepper's issue is that even with this update he is still getting the problem.

There is a TSB (posted here) for the ambient lighting that should normally repair the ambient lights resetting issue. Since it involves software updating on the APIM (MyFord Touch) it is included in the 5 year extended warranty. You should be able to get both your cars programmed by a dealer.

Drpepper's issue is that even with this update he is still getting the problem.

So if Drpepper's still experiencing the problem after having the TSB update performed, then it obviously doesn't fix it. So why waste time taking the vehicles in to have a procedure performed that doesn't cure the problem?

But is mine that unique? The TSB mentions cycle ignition issue-

Why Question to all.... on MFT3.6.02 have you set a different color default than white mkx /blue ford? have you set different ringers or text message ringers- have you noticed those settings over time changing? If so, than my issue not unique... if many do not pay attention or do not make the changes- doesn't mean the issue is not there- just not seen

Why Question to all.... on MFT3.6.02 have you set a different color default than white mkx /blue ford? have you set different ringers or text message ringers- have you noticed those settings over time changing? If so, than my issue not unique... if many do not pay attention or do not make the changes- doesn't mean the issue is not there- just not seen

I've never changed anything except the ambient lighting color.

I'm not sure whether it's fixed for everyone else or not - I thought that's what was implied by someone else and it's obvious that you're having unique issues of some kind. So maybe/maybe not.

I don't remember - have you asked for help from Ford Service here on this one? They often have better contacts than the dealers or regional folks.

Hi akirby,

Thanks for summoning us!

I'm running V3.6.02 on both my 2011 Edge and 2011 Explorer. I have the ambient lighting set to red on both vehicles, but both of them will randomly revert to the factory ice blue setting from time to time. It's obviously some sort of software glitch. So until Ford decides to release an update that fixes it, I'll just keep setting it back to red every time it happens.

So if Drpepper's still experiencing the problem after having the TSB update performed, then it obviously doesn't fix it. So why waste time taking the vehicles in to have a procedure performed that doesn't cure the problem?

sixponies,

I agree with omar302. Going to the dealer is the best thing to do. If they are unable to assist, send the details in a PM.

Post 30 & 32 in this tread was Ford . Can that be revisited & escalated?

drpepper,

I've reached out to your CSM and asked that she contact you immediately.

Shaay

drpepper...I too have this change of ambient color but we have the other settings at default so I don't know if those somehow influence the "fix". I mentioned the issue to the dealer but got the typical response that they wanted money to look at it. Really frustrating when you know there is a TSB. But looking at the TSB, if they are just doing the install via USB, why doesn't Ford make these files available to customers to make the update? I would gladly do this myself rather than trying to get the dealer to address this.

Does MFT/MLT v3.7 have the same issue of not retaining settings for ambient light?

*****FORD Support*****...NEED to clarify the statement: MFT/MLT system is designed to "reboot" or perform system maintenance in background after ~ 20 hours of use.

This WAS the case but IS IT STILL true over all release versions?

IE 1.8; 2.3 ,2.4, 2.7, 2.8, 3.0, 3.2, 3.6, 3.7 etc

Because if the root cause of issue is after a reboot- settings blown away- and your system WILL REBOOT IN BACKGROUND...then there it is.

When I asked dealer to inquire about installing v 3.7 -as a possible solution-even though 3.6 is latest for my 2011 I got :

"I contacted the hotline and requested that we be able to provide your Lincoln with MLT v3.7. I have heard back from the hotline, and the official answer was no. It is only available for MFT and MLT vehicle 2014 and newer.?

Really? Ford is THAT RIGID????

FORD>>>> What is also disturbing is the statement below from my dealer's service manager:

"we have touched base with Ford/Lincoln's Subject Matter Expert and we have had our FSE ( Field service engineer) visit our dealership to look at your vehicle. Both our FSE and the Subject Matter Expert recommended not using any thumb drives or apps with the system."

Really? Your system doesn't retain the memory settings & now they blame phones & scratch heads and say hay don't use anything with our system & then you won't see issue? Really come on!!!!

For record--the error occurred at dealer when my phone was NOT there & there was nothing plugged into the USB ports.

In addition, There ARE No apps released for the MFT/MLT system and I am not using my phone connected to car other than as a phone. I am not streaming or using maps.

I paid for Sirius in car & I paid to have the built in nav system!! I paid to get ambient light & to choose a color. I did not pay for it to continually reset.

I sympathize with the other points, but the reason 3.7 isn't available on pre-2014s is some type of incompatibility between the MLT software and the vehicle hardware/other software.

Thanks.. So I'll await on the key answers..

1.) is MFT/MLT programmed to reboot in background- if so-which versions- Did it change to NOT by designed to reboot- if so - on what version (s)

2.) Are the settings for ambient light & phone ringers DESIGNED to not be saved if a reboot occurs? either by pulling battery or if it just happens while normal driving

3.) Are there know factors that cause a reboot on regular intervals- ie 20 hours~ if so, what has been found to resolve?- and not - just don't use phone

Edited by drpepper

Drpepper,

MFT/MLT DOES reboot every once in a while. Don't know the interval, but it does. Another telltale, press the settings button (gear icon) & select anything other than clock then press the home button. The next time you press the settings icon it will take you directly to the settings page of what you last selected. When the system resets, pressing the settings icon will take you to the clock settings instead (the default settings tab).

Ambient lights are NOT supposed to reset. That's what the TSB was for. For the other settings, as I said earlier, most people don't notice the change & hence not enough complaints. Also, from the way Ford has handled this MFT/MLT issue from the beginning, it doesn't seem they care anymore unless they get many complaints. Also, 3.7 has the fix for the ambient lights, but not the other resetting settings.

Here is one guy with an MKT who had the same issue as yours, even the TSB did not fix his ambient lights, turned out to be a weak battery.

I also got confirmation from friend & his '13 Explorer Limited with V3.7 also reset the ringer/messages settings after some time from setting it to something other than default.

I had the TSB fix posted applied as well but issue still persists with ambient light resetting to default a week or so after TSB was applied. Maybe TSB requires APIM to be programmed at a certain software release level as well but my APIM was replaced last summer so should be fairly up to date.

I suppose it could be battery issue but my battery was replaced under warranty just over a year ago as well.

Edited by teknowiz

And 2011 MKX had the battery replaced by dealer last year I believe.

OMAR302 Thanks for all your feedback.

Just PROVES why I posted so much on what appeared a BS reply to dealer & me.....when Ford send out their FSE- And he said - system doesn't reboot in background anymore- must be your phone forcing the reboot - I called that out as that doesn't seem right I think FSE is providing BAD info to dealer & Me....

That is why I am asking for Ford to chime in here & get to the bottom of this !!!! left no -I mean right - wait I mean Up - no I mean down - style advice!

I sympathize with the other points, but the reason 3.7 isn't available on pre-2014s is some type of incompatibility between the MLT software and the vehicle hardware/other software.

My guess since people posted here it WAS installed & works on pre-2014 vehicles and was on Fords web site to download for all for a time before being removed is it is all about the money & not wanting 2011,2012,& 2013 model years to add to expense of managing. Keeping with that point- why our latest version is more than 2 years old with known issues but yet no replacement version or hot fix released.

Hi akirby,

Thanks for summoning us!

drpepper,

I've reached out to your CSM and asked that she contact you immediately.

Shaay

Not sure what that means....If you mean Concierge service manager- Alesandra has been involved for past months but she has stated her role is to insure the dealership is not the hold up.

The REAL issue is finding an expert at ford corp to advise properly. As stated -dealership got a FSE ( Field service engineer) to run test - with out my phone or anything plugged in- and then left after 2 days saying- must be a phone issue & left us High & dry! Seems based on all the others who have posted issue- it is the software version.

My guess since people posted here it WAS installed & works on pre-2014 vehicles and was on Fords web site to download for all for a time before being removed is it is all about the money & not wanting 2011,2012,& 2013 model years to add to expense of managing. Keeping with that point- why our latest version is more than 2 years old with known issues but yet no replacement version or hot fix released.

What is FAR more likely is they released it and found a problem that they couldn't fix quickly (all resources were working on sync 3) so they pulled the update.

If they didn't want to support it they never would have released it in the first place.

Not sure what that means....If you mean Concierge service manager- Alesandra has been involved for past months but she has stated her role is to insure the dealership is not the hold up.

The REAL issue is finding an expert at ford corp to advise properly. As stated -dealership got a FSE ( Field service engineer) to run test - with out my phone or anything plugged in- and then left after 2 days saying- must be a phone issue & left us High & dry! Seems based on all the others who have posted issue- it is the software version.

SO--How do we proceed to get the basic questions answered?

If Ford was "Summoned"- how do we get a reply from the proper escalation process? The dealer, FSE, CSM have not successfully been able to assist.

1.) Does MFT/MLT v 3.6.02 loose settings on a reboot/system maintenance? How is this different from prior versions?

2.) Does MFT/MLT v 3.6.02 reboot/perform system maintenance- without any customer interaction - IE at a regular interval of usage-say ~after a set time -like ~20 hours of use? How is this different from prior versions?

3.) A TSB seems to only address one aspect of an ambient lighting issue- more a haphazard change or more frequent change on cycle ignition...what about a longer duration - say the 20 or so hours of use- what can address that issue?

4.) Since the next version-3.7- was denied to 2011,2012,2013 model year vehicles- (even though reports tell of successful installs by dealer until the stop order came) and the current release is 2 years + old with issues- what is the planned next step by Ford to address?

Edited by drpepper

SO--How do we proceed to get the basic questions answered?

If Ford was "Summoned"- how do we get a reply from the proper escalation process? The dealer, FSE, CSM have not successfully been able to assist.

1.) Does MFT/MLT v 3.6.02 loose settings on a reboot/system maintenance? How is this different from prior versions?

2.) Does MFT/MLT v 3.6.02 reboot/perform system maintenance- without any customer interaction - IE at a regular interval of usage-say ~after a set time -like ~20 hours of use? How is this different from prior versions?

3.) A TSB seems to only address one aspect of an ambient lighting issue- more a haphazard change or more frequent change on cycle ignition...what about a longer duration - say the 20 or so hours of use- what can address that issue?

4.) Since the next version-3.7- was denied to 2011,2012,2013 model year vehicles- (even though reports tell of successful installs by dealer until the stop order came) and the current release is 2 years + old with issues- what is the planned next step by Ford to address?

drpepper,

To ensure proper performance, the MyFord/MyLincoln Touch may occasionally reset itself. When this happens, you will see PERFORMING SCHEDULED SYSTEM MAINTENANCE on the display. This does not occur at a regular interval of usage. You should not lose any saved settings when it occurs; however, settings will reset if a master reset is performed.

Your CSM (Customer Service Manager) is my highest point of contact. I suggest continuing to work with her to get this taken care of. She is in the best position to assist. Send a PM if you would like me to update your case notes with any new information.

Shaay

drpepper,

To ensure proper performance, the MyFord/MyLincoln Touch may occasionally reset itself. When this happens, you will see PERFORMING SCHEDULED SYSTEM MAINTENANCE on the display. This does not occur at a regular interval of usage. You should not lose any saved settings when it occurs; however, settings will reset if a master reset is performed.

Your CSM (Customer Service Manager) is my highest point of contact. I suggest continuing to work with her to get this taken care of. She is in the best position to assist. Send a PM if you would like me to update your case notes with any new information.

Shaay

The FSE told my dealer's service manager that if the battery is disconnected- the ambient light settings are lost!

What do you say to that? Is that true?

I have conflicting info from 2 different Ford reps.- are the settings retained or lost? That answer will help determine next course of action.

My premise is if the system - occasionally resets- as you say - or is forced to reset by a battery pull- it should produce the same result!

If that result (expectation) is the settings are to be maintained-as you say- then I have a problem!!! Since they were NOT retained & the FSE stated that they will not on battery pull reset. So he blamed a phone that wasn't even connected to vehicle & did not assist any further & left.

As stated the CSM stated she is in a stuck position cause the dealer did bring out a FSE & he said must be a connect phone causing it.

I am tracking 10+hours of non-connect phone. If it "resets" without phone connected & looses the ambient light settings- what is next course of action- bring to dealer? OK but who that is QUALIFIED could come out? The same FSE that might be proven wrong???

Edited by drpepper

My car is currently at the dealer for the 5th time for a myriad of MFT issues. APIM replaced....re orogrammed 4 times. They called out the special technician who "fixed" it. Then the ambient lighti g issues and all kinds of funky stuff started up again. They called today and swear that the cause of the ambient lighting issue is the heating/ac control module. Have they checked that in yours? It

S a long shot but at this point might be worth a check

drpepper,

Shaay

SO you say I should NOT loose settings.. You say stick with CSM. But the CSM helped ensure dealer got a FSE to look at vehicle &

THAT FSE says you DO loose settings after a system maintenance.

Went on to say that if I see "it" happen ( system maintenance) without "FORCING" a battery pull- that it must be something other than MFT/MLT- Like a phone.

BUT WHO IS CORRECT? TWO DIFFERENT FORD AGENTS ARE PROVIDING DIFFERENT ANSWERS. on SETTINGS RETENTION

HOW DO WE VERIFY THAT STATEMENT?

Doesn't everyone see the logic error of this?

Frustrating is FSE saying lets try to prove you get a system maintenance with out your phone connected.

BUT also says when you get a system maintenance you loose settings. Well DA! Then back to square one! \

If system does system maintenance- it either SHOULD retain settings or it SHOULD NOT! And no-one is saying that it really does matter how the system is triggered to do the system maintenance & that if it triggers by version 1 or version 2 you will get a different result.

RRRR Thanks AKIRBY for summering Ford but you see no-one will get to the root of it.

We all see the posts - here& on other forums = people do loose the settings. Some see it while others do not see it ir pay attention. Some saw it happen a lot while others recall back & see it as occasional.

Confused on the "go away" appearing advice from FSE that its you phone drive with out phone connected vs answer the dilemma question if it happens on battery pull then wouldn't it happen on a phone cause the system maintenance- & if so - what was the point? Same end result the settings are not maintained