Decided on HIDs, now what?

Iv decided Im going to upgrade to HIDs for now. I have no idea what I need to buy, please help. I want to go with the TRS Morimotos. Iv browsed their website and Im totally lost!! What bulb size & ballast do I need? What kind of wire harness? It also has differant wire harness types. Kelvin? Im looking at either the 5000k (pure white) or 6000k (cool white). Whats the differance in whites? I just know I don't want blue. Which one is most commonly used? Will I need a capacitor? This will be for a 2013 Edge Sport if it helps.

Thanks

35w 4300k or 55w 5000k (I am using the latter). The 55w is brighter (not by a lot, but noticeable) and has a tendency to wash out the blue tint of the 5000k bulb. Result is ZERO blue and a perfect white color. That is why 35w 4300k and 55w 5000k are essentially identical in color.

Just go with the relay harness (no need for canbus). You need the 9006 size bulb.

I have this exact kit and really like it. Let me know if you need more help.

P.S. buy the kit from their eBay store. You can make an offer and save a few $$.

I have the cheap DDM 35/5000 kit but I think Morimoto is the smart purchase. If I had done better research before I ordered the DDM's I would have purchased the Morimoto 35/4300 kit with harness. Sounds like the Morimoto harness is really well made but I would still cut it to the proper length for the Edge.

The website still has me comfused. You say the bulb size is 9006, does that mean I need the 9006 Morimoto Elite HID system? It doesn't have you standard 35W/55W. It says 3five (35W) and 5five (50W). Is that the same thing? There are so many differant wire harnesses to choose from. Then on wire harness types there's a Heavy duty relay & a Standalone -Can-Bus. WHy do they have to make this so hard!!

Edited by Sparkles

HID Systems

9006: Morimoto Elite HID System $150.00

Pick the following options, then click on ADD TO CART

Ballasts: Morimoto 3Five (35w)
Kelvin: 4300K

Wire Harness: 9006

Wire Harness Type: Heavy Duty Relay
I believe KC300C has a video on this site on how to install HIDs (video is also on YouTube), very handy.
Try coupon code TRS/HIDP for free UPS Ground/USPS Priority. They had a sale over Christmas, 15% off with ChristmasLights code, but it's over now. No idea if/when next code will show up. Check FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/TheRetrofitSource for updates.
HTH.
  • Like 1

I just finished ordering my new HIDs for The Retrofit Source. Thanks for the promo code, it worked and I got free shipping. Can't wait for them to come in!! I went ahead and ordered the 35W kit with 4300k, I hope there white and not yellow. Now Im worried. I originally was going to go with 5000k but did some research and it said that 4300k is what stock vehicles with HIDs come with. I guess we will see how it looks once there installed. Hopefully if I don't like the color I can just change the bulb out to a 5000k. Is that possible? Will post a picture once I have then installed. Thanks for the help :hyper:

Like I said, 35W 4300K and 55W 5000K will be identical in color (trust me, I have used many different combinations over the years). You can also google and see photo comparisons.

You'll be very pleased with the 4300K and they won't look yellow. If you swap the bulb (you'll then have 35W 5000K), you will notice a very (very) slight blue tint, but it will be perceptible. The bulb swap is simple as all kits (OK, most kits) use the AMP style connector for the bulbs.

I ordered the DDM 35w 5000k yesterday for my Edge with relay option. However, my Edge also has the Daytime Running Lights (DRL) enabled since it was a fleet vehicle, so I have been in contact with the dealer to see if they can switch the DRL's to the parking lights. Still no response yet. There are a few people on here that have run into problems with the HID's when running with DRL because of the low voltage supplied when the DRL's are on. I've not tested yet as I have not received my HID's yet.

If the dealer either can't do it or refuses to change the DRL, does anyone know if the DRL module from Morimoto will work with the DDM HID's? Looks like it just plugs inline between the vehicle and the ballas. Does DDM make a DRL module as well? I couldn't find one listed on their website so I opted not to get it and take my chances on them working or the dealer changing the DRL's for me.

Well I got an email this morning telling me that my 4300k bulbs are are backorder so my order won't ship till next week. It mentioned that I could change the bulp color and if its in stock my order would ship right away. Well I called and they are all out of the 4300k-6000k bulbs. So I went ahead and changed the bulb color to 5000k since I was worried the 4300k would have yellow in it or not be white enough for me. Let me just add that their customer service was so nice and knowledgeable, totally worth the extra money for their product.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0PDoV5SWPhQhTUA4yuJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBlMTQ4cGxyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1n?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dhid%2B4300k%2Bcolor%26fr%3Dchr-greentree_ff%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D2&w=800&h=790&imgurl=i15.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fa369%2Fvdcjr%2FHIDcolor-1.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.candlepowerforums.com%2Fvb%2Fshowthread.php%3F210032-3000K-vs-4300K-HID-Bulb&size=50.5+KB&name=of+lumen+output+difference+3k+3k+4k+4k+5k+5k+6k+6k+8k+8k+10k+10k+12k+...&p=hid+4300k+color&oid=857f21268ecbc9459a2595002fcd1600&fr2=piv-web&fr=chr-greentree_ff&tt=of%2Blumen%2Boutput%2Bdifference%2B3k%2B3k%2B4k%2B4k%2B5k%2B5k%2B6k%2B6k%2B8k%2B8k%2B10k%2B10k%2B12k%2B...&b=0&ni=21&no=2&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=12h7c7ikr&sigb=13fpeq9fq&sigi=11ktmerfo&.crumb=eArK92vfEX7

Here's a couple good examples. I definitely see the white in the ~4300k, but hardly, if any blue in the 5000k. The 5000k seems like a crisper/brighter white to me.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0PDoTCXWfhQOzMAqEuJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBlMTQ4cGxyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1n?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dhid%2B4300k%2Bcolor%26fr%3Dchr-greentree_ff%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D46&w=275&h=693&imgurl=maxx.wolltech.com%2FMXRZ_HID_COLOR_INDEX.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fz6-forum.com%2Fforum%2Ffz6-general-discussion%2F24023-if-i-bought-some-hids-would-you-want-some.html&size=67.1+KB&name=reccomend+anywhere+from+%3Cb%3E4300k+%3C%2Fb%3Eto+6000k+here+is+a+chart&p=hid+4300k+color&oid=ce12e5ddea1cf0812df9ab060d294d9e&fr2=piv-web&fr=chr-greentree_ff&tt=reccomend%2Banywhere%2Bfrom%2B%253Cb%253E4300k%2B%253C%252Fb%253Eto%2B6000k%2Bhere%2Bis%2Ba%2Bchart&b=31&ni=96&no=46&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=13au71rk4&sigb=13gbsmo56&sigi=11ashcs2b&.crumb=eArK92vfEX7

Don't be offended by the picture captions there^^ I only posted it to capture what I felt was a decent color comparison.

I think the 5000k is definitely the way to go, but either way, you'll be happy. Hope it all works out!

• 1 month later...

Sparkles, did you get your bulbs in?

I'm also looking to upgrade my Edge Sport 2013 to HIDs and doing a lot of research.

I believe I want to order the TRS Morimotos kit. Is that all I need? I've seen ordering a heavy harness or a cambus? This all gets a little confusing from the outside.

Couple questions.

Making the turn signal and parking light an LED legal? Will it still look orange?

Are the Halo lights just an add on around the lense? I was wanting to add a red ring. I guess "devil eyes"? Another poster has done this.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

HID Systems

9006: Morimoto Elite HID System $150.00

Pick the following options, then click on ADD TO CART

Ballasts: Morimoto 3Five (35w)
Kelvin: 4300K

Wire Harness: 9006

Wire Harness Type: Heavy Duty Relay
I believe KC300C has a video on this site on how to install HIDs (video is also on YouTube), very handy.
Try coupon code TRS/HIDP for free UPS Ground/USPS Priority. They had a sale over Christmas, 15% off with ChristmasLights code, but it's over now. No idea if/when next code will show up. Check FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/TheRetrofitSource for updates.
HTH.

tag

I got exactly what was listed above ^^^^^, except I got 5000k instead of 4300k. Im loving my new lights, can see so much better now. I need to take a picture of them and put it on here, just never got around to doing it. You will be very happy with the TRS system, I haven't had any problems. Worth the $150.00!!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

It is a very easy job. The part that takes the most time, but not complicated, is inserting the bulb into the headlight socket. It takes some fiddling to finally get the tabs lined up just right to get it to seat completely. I made a video of my HID install. You can find it on my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/kc300c/videos?view=0. Scroll down to the video "HID Retrofit Kit Step-By-Step Installation Video"

I recently received the DDM 35W 9006 5K kit... I have tried once to get those HID's into the headlight housing's and boy is it a pain. I have done a lot of HID conversions on other cars and never had a problem. I know I had seen somewhere else on the forum where someone else was also having issues with the DDM hid kit getting the bulbs in but I can't find the thread.. Anyways it almost seems like the rubber seal isn't seated on the bulb correctly and I couldn't get it to seat all the way down on 1 side. Anyone else get a DDM kit lately and had success installing them?