When time comes for new SD card for Nav.....

RJG

My 2012 got the update a few months back, so imagine it will be a while before I need an update for Nav. All we will need is new SD card right? But will the dealership sell it? Or outside vendor? Or is this something we can shop around for? Would imagine there W/B a dealership or Ford parts place somewhere selling them online for big discount. Or some place selling the down load.....kinda like my Turbo Tax does. Or like we did the last update.....down loaded to empty SD card. Then loaded into my car.

Any older MFT cars bought an update yet?

Edited by RJG

This may be more of an issue in the future than older systems. Since the last two upgrades have required new nav cards you may have compatability issues in the future. Not sure what is changing on the card, probably something to do with voice commands, but this change may make getting "new" cards hard unless offered by Ford.

Ford moved to NAVTEQ for maps, I don't have NAV in my car, but I believe that part of the "Performance Upgrade" was the switch to NAVTEQ maps.

I keep getting those confused. Yes, the original upgrade last spring switched from telenav to NavTeq. The new update must have changed the format of the data otherwise a new card would not have been required.

I think NavTeq also supplied the older nav DVDs and they charged $200 as do most other OEM map suppliers. I don't expect this to be any different just because it's on a SD card.

www.navigation.com/ford

There are two important components to a map update. One is the database itself, which is owned by a company like Navteq or Telenav. They need to make money, so you need to buy a license to use their maps, including updates. The second component is the formatting of the data. Ford uses unique (proprietary) formatting of Navteq/telenav data, which is why you won't see generic aftermarket map updates.

So what you have is Ford and Navteq each with licensing claims of their own. So they work out a deal between themselves to control the distribution of the updates, which means they can control the price in a monopolistic fashion. I'm sure it could be hacked, but anything not coming from Ford or Navteq is illegal.

Of course as noted, all MFT vehicles can just order a free update again, so it's a non-issue for now.