2007 - 2011 tail light swap, now have fast signal!?

hdmapp

So first off I'm new to te forum! But it looks like people get positive results, anyway my problem!

I bought the 2011 tail lights for my 07 edge - before I continue you must know it is NOT set up with the amber signal. Wanted to set it up with two reverse lights in the center and dual signals a the side, so at night just the sides would flash. Anyway I set it up and it worked great! Both left and right sides were flashing regularly for about 2 days - after that It flashes fast 2-3 times then regular 2 times then fast, seems to do it in a pattern. Anyway the weird thing about it is once I turn Off the vehicle the flash goes to normal :s it's only when it's running! Any ideas? Ill post a few picture of how it looks and possibly a video of I can lol thanks for any response!

yes it is drawing more power because its changed from a single rear bulb to two rear bulbs now, but the pattern in flashing is whats weird and the fact that when the vehicle is off it flashes fine? but i will try the new relay and see how it works - any idea on pricing?

• 2 weeks later...

are they LED lights?

the "fast flash" from the manual means there is no load on the relay or the turn signal circuit which would indicate a burnt out bulb. so if you were driving around your turn signals blinked faster most likely it would be an out bulb. this also happens when you toss in an LED light into the equation. LEDs dont have a filiment and the circuit cant see the load so it blinks faster. not sure if this is your issue or not. on a site called autolumination.com they sell a relay that fixes this issue!

on another note

if you turn on your hazards most likely it will blink at the normal rate indicating a good relay.

steve

• Thanks 1

sounds like a dumb question but is your bulb out?

it did this to me just the other day. brake lights worked, but the other filiment was burnt out and i had rapid turn signal speed. indicating an out buib. just a thought maybe toss in a new bulb.

i tried that but still the odd signal speed. its weird because when the vehicles off its fine, and im not sure if its just me...but when the weathers in the positive temperatures...it doesnt do it. Makes the situation even more strange

• 4 weeks later...

just wanted to update on the problem! I haven't touched it because its been way to cold here to do so, but this week temperature shot up to some nice warm weather and no problem! im assuming its relay at this point i'll be changing it and updating!

So ive owned my 07 edge since 09. I did hid lows highs and fogs, well I used a relay on each set but the fog lights. Eventually, they started to flicker, only when the fog light switch is off, so I reverted back to stock and they still flicker. Well 3 years later, (I work at a local auto audio and alarm shop now as a master installer) I was testing the circuit that my fog lights are on, and I could get my fogs to turn on with no flicker when manually sending 12v to the fog light wire, well since I did that, I get fast blink any time my head lights are on, now a few days later, they fast blink no matter what. Im assuming I burned out the smart junction box, there is no fuse or relay, luckey for me they arent too expensive to replace just need to check the switch before i spring for a 230 $ computer . Im assuming not using a relay is the culprate

There is no relay. Ford, in its wisdom, decided to tie the flashers into a computer.

This got me curious. Looking at the wiring diagram it looks like the multifunction switch runs straight to the smart junction box, and the smart junction box runs the bulbs. Ugh. I was wanting to replace all the bulbs on this thing with LEDs, but I don't want to wire in a resistor to make it not blink fast. Anyone tried just straight up bulb swaps and know if it makes the system blink fast?

• 7 years later...