New 2013 Ford Edge Sport AWD Owner and new to the forums! (Currently in manufacturing stage)

quinnlacey

Hi Guys!

My name is Quinn and I'm a US Army veteran. I'm currently an Air Force Contractor in Afghanistan and I just put in the order for a new (Tuxedo Black)2013 Ford Edge Sport AWD! It just began it's manufacturing process yesturday. So stoked! This is only my second car i've ever owned. I'm 28 and have a 2003 Nissan Sentra SpecV. I start college at Ohio State University in August and I decided to go with the AWD option to help counteract the wintry and snowy climate. Look forward to becoming an active member on the forums and most importantly, having some great conversations and gain some knowledge from all of you!

Hey Quinnlacey,

As tacyon said, MANY THANKS for you service, welcome to the Forum, and conrats on ordering your Sport. Smart choice with the AWD, I have friends that live in Akron, Northfield, and Burton, l know how your winters can get. Did the dealer give you any idea on your "wait time"?

Joe

Edited by JOEHIO

Congrats and as said before, thanks for your service which allows us to live our lives back home!!!

We just picked ours up this past weekend after placing our order.

We were told 8-12 weeks to receive but it came in within 7 weeks. The holidays were mixed in there as well so I think you'll get yours sooner than what they indicated to you. Just letting you know so you can be prepared. We weren't ready when it came in since we thought we had more time to sell our current car.

Best of luck and stay safe!

Mark

Thanks Mark and everyone for the warm welcomes! Unfortunately, I wont be able to pick my car up until the 31st of May, which is when Ieave Afghanistan. Can't wait to get my new Edge! Question, how would yoyu guys rate the sound system? I understand there is an HD Sony system inside the truck. Thanks.

Hey Quinn, thank you for your service and congrats on your new Edge.

I know it's hard to wait for the delivery because I'm in the same situation. I placed the order for my 2013 Ltd FWD on Jan-16 and the dealer said it will take 4-6 weeks. The following week he sent me an email and he said that my Edge will be built (assembled) on January 28 and the delivery to the dealer is scheduled for the week of February 25 (Ford provides only the delivery week and not the exact day).

Good luck to you

Quinnlacey - re the sound system. Unmodified ... meh. You won't impress anyone. There are three things running against you with the sony sound system.

1) the speaker cones are plastic. These are basically $4 speakers from Ford. The two front and rear doors are the easiest to replace and replacing them with something like Infinity 6829CF's at all four spots will give you the most bang for the buck. (HA ! pun intended) hint: ebay em .. ~$90 a pair. You'll want two pair.

2) the Sony sound system starts to drastically attenuate the bass frequencies around 65% volume. So just when it gets to sounding good .. it goes anemic.

3) there is no simple way to clean up #2 (HA !! another funny) as in there are no pre-outs to connect a add-on amplifier to. However, as you'll find out when you do your own research on this, there are ways to mitigate this with a sound processor which then allows for a add on amplifier. I am told the end result of this is pretty good. A vast improvement in the factory design.

Regarding the Sony sound system I think I will disagree. Are we trying to replicate a home theater system inside an Edge? And $90(x2) for a set of speakers? I think that's overkill. Yes I know that some of us will spend a good fortune on a sound system for their cars but for the average person a factory system like the Sony it will be more than enough.

My 2001 Passat has a factory installed Monsoon radio with 8 speakers and I thought the sound was fantastic. Of course I still don’t have my 2013 Edge Ltd to compare but I will be very surprised if its sound system is not at least a half decent system

Just my opinion

Okay great! Thanks for the feedback all. I probably will be replacing the factory low and mid speakers but I'll check out the factory sound once I receive my Edge. From what you said Talcyon, I may be replacing my sub too lol. But we will see, I think one JL Audio 12" Sub will do the trick. Maybe some, JL or Cerwin-Vega speakers along with that. Haz, thanks for the guides, they ar alot of help in answering some of the questions I haven't even thought about yet. This forum is great, thanks again.