Major Oil Leak

Bullitt

Well, after just 4,000 miles, the Edge sprang a major oil leak.

I took her in this morning because of a few drops on the garage floor. After 10 minutes, they came back and told me the Edge has to stay. Seems as though the oil is leaking between the tranny and engine on the top side. Told me they'd call me later today with more info and that it could be in the shop for 4-7 days.

They gave me a rental and said they'd keep in touch. Unfortunately the rental is a little Focus which I told them was not acceptable for a replacement for the Edge. So, I'll go back and turn in the Focus later today for something bigger.

Keeping my fingers crossed that she gets fixed right the first time. I'll keep everyone posted.

Cheers,

Bullitt

Well, after just 4,000 miles, the Edge sprang a major oil leak.

I took her in this morning because of a few drops on the garage floor. After 10 minutes, they came back and told me the Edge has to stay. Seems as though the oil is leaking between the tranny and engine on the top side. Told me they'd call me later today with more info and that it could be in the shop for 4-7 days.

They gave me a rental and said they'd keep in touch. Unfortunately the rental is a little Focus which I told them was not acceptable for a replacement for the Edge. So, I'll go back and turn in the Focus later today for something bigger.

Keeping my fingers crossed that she gets fixed right the first time. I'll keep everyone posted.

Cheers,

Bullitt

Just got the update. After further investigation, it is tranny fluid leaking out. It's coming out of the PTU shaft seal. PTU will have to be replaced. Looks like I should have it back late Monday. Now back to Enterprise and get rid of this Focus and into something bigger for the weekend.

Cheers,

Bullitt

They should...key word - should...fix it correctly.

And yes, go get another car. Minimum should be another Edge. My dealer tried to do that to me whe I had a few small things fixed and after I politely laughed at their suggestion of a Focus...they gave me an Edge to drive.

When I had mine in for work, they gave me a Focus also. Actually, I was really surprised how well it drove for such a basic car. The A/C worked great. By the time I got the seat adjusted & was out of the parking lot, I already had to turn it down because it was so cold. The temp was in the upper 90's that day.

• 4 weeks later...
When I had mine in for work, they gave me a Focus also. Actually, I was really surprised how well it drove for such a basic car. The A/C worked great. By the time I got the seat adjusted & was out of the parking lot, I already had to turn it down because it was so cold. The temp was in the upper 90's that day.

My Edge with 300 miles on it went in for engine oil leak a few days ago.

They gave a rental car to use (Ford Fusion). Not a bad car but it is a 2006 and the interior is dirty and stained. If the vehicle is not fixed in a couple of days I will return the rental for somethig better.

It appears from what I have found on the various forums Ford Edges have quality problem.

Florida has a good Lemon Law which I will be looking into.

They gave a rental car to use (Ford Fusion). Not a bad car but it is a 2006 and the interior is dirty and stained. If the vehicle is not fixed in a couple of days I will return the rental for somethig better.

It appears from what I have found on the various forums Ford Edges have quality problem.

Hey, if we're lucky , we won't be seeing you again. That's the bright side of it.

Picked up my Edge at the dealer today. The oil leak was caused by a faulty oil filter adapter o-ring.

There was a metal shaving in the o-ring. They also performed TSB-07-7-6 on front end due to pulling to the right. Wonder what is next!

Question: Is the PTU only present when you have four wheel drive or is it also present in the front wheel drive versions? I ask because the PTU seems to be described as a "transfer case" in many posts here and I'm used to thinking of transfer cases being part of a 4wd system. What does PTU stand for, Power Transmission Unit? Thanks!

WJB

Has this pulling to the right problem stopped?

The vehicle still pulls slightly to the right. Most noticeable at high speed.

I wonder if it is caused by transaxle torque. This vehicle follows the crown of the road more than my AWD Durango did. I have a 3500 mile trip coming up in November and I want this beast in top shape!

• 4 weeks later...

I just got my car back after 2 weeks. There was a seal or something between something and the PTU. It was causing a leak onto my exhaust creating a wicked smell. The leak has been fixed. I dont even know what all they replaced. My slip doesnt say that the PTU was replaced but I was told it did from the Service Advisor. Did you guys have the burn oil smell and how long did it last. The replaced a gasket, seal and a service kit of some kind.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the smell and the leak is back. I just called and they said that there is a new seal in the pdu or whatever that they have to order. Its backordered until at least Monday. My car is going to be in the shop a total of 24 days next wed, when they think their going to have my car back. Anyone else running into this problem. Shop told me that another one came in with the same problem today. The advisor stated that he hasnt seen it before. Anybody know fords main Customer Service number for problem issues. Its time for the Lemon Law.

Since you didn't take the time to click those links and read about the lemon law for your state of Kansas, here is a summary

(1) The same nonconformity which substantially impairs the use and value of the motor vehicle to the consumer has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or its agents or authorized dealers within the term of any warranty or during the period of one year following the date of original delivery of the motor vehicle to a consumer, whichever is the earlier date, but such nonconformity continues to exist;

(2) the vehicle is out of service by reason of repair for a cumulative total of 30 or more calendar days during such term or period, whichever is the earlier date; or

(3) there have been 10 or more attempts to repair any nonconformities which substantially impair the use and value of the motor vehicle to the consumer and such attempts to repair have been attempts by the manufacturer or its agents or authorized dealers.

You have 8 more attempts to get it repaired.

Thanks for assuming 07 MKX. I did read the links and have spent time trying to understand them. I have read these 2 sources on the state website a few times allready but I do appreciate you looking for them earlier. So, yes I did and thanks for the good ol assumption. Getting a lawyer is always a good idea in my opinion since I am not a lawyer and know the law. I just a simple network tech that doesnt knowthe law. Wierd. I am also trying to get clarification on this comment:

2) the vehicle is out of service by reason of repair for a cumulative total of 30 or more calendar days during such term or period, whichever is the earlier date; or

(3) there have been 10 or more attempts to repair any nonconformities which substantially impair the use and value of the motor vehicle to the consumer and such attempts to repair have been attempts by the manufacturer or its agents or authorized dealers.

There is this little word in there that says or. Im not sure what the means. I think it means one or another. That is what a lawyer is for. In the whole page, im not for sure if its in the 1st year of ownership or the warranty. And which warranty period, 3/36 or 5/whatever for the powertrain since its a powertrain issue. I do appreciate everyone elses help though.

Since all vehicles have at least a 1 year warranty, the time limit for 1 and 2 is 1 year from delivery. The time limit only applies to 1 and 2, so it's 4 or more attempts to repair or a cumulative total of 30 or more calendar days in the shop during the first year of ownership. Or 10 or more attempts to repair regardless of the timeframe.

At least that's my non-attorney interpretation (which makes sense).

Thanks for assuming 07 MKX. I did read the links and have spent time trying to understand them. I have read these 2 sources on the state website a few times allready but I do appreciate you looking for them earlier. So, yes I did and thanks for the good ol assumption. Getting a lawyer is always a good idea in my opinion since I am not a lawyer and know the law. I just a simple network tech that doesnt knowthe law. Wierd. I am also trying to get clarification on this comment:

2) the vehicle is out of service by reason of repair for a cumulative total of 30 or more calendar days during such term or period, whichever is the earlier date; or

There is this little word in there that says or. Im not sure what the means. I think it means one or another. That is what a lawyer is for. In the whole page, im not for sure if its in the 1st year of ownership or the warranty. And which warranty period, 3/36 or 5/whatever for the powertrain since its a powertrain issue. I do appreciate everyone elses help though.

• 2 weeks later...

'07 Edge AWD SEL

5800 miles

Last 3 days, large puddles of fluid observed under vehicle after long rides. Burning oil smell observed in heat. Dealer inspected vehicle on the lift and determined failed CV joint. Parts manager advises 62 units are on backorder to my area. I thought this was a little suspicious given the quantity and the type of part given the age of these vehicles. Expectation is a minimum of 3 days for the part. Dealer has my ride until then.