New Key Programming Questions Buttons not working

OK got a MKX with only one key from dealer. It works fine no issues. Bought a ebay $30 secondary key. Took it to Locksmith and had it cut and programmed. Cranks engine and opens doors from key slot without issue. The problem is with the buttons none of them work on the new key. Locksmith said sorry can't help. He said buttons and chip should have programmed at the same time and should be working. Also said he could see it transmitting when we pushed button.

Only paid 35 bucks so I did not get to pissed off, but someone is full of !@#$. This guy did not appear to be a master of the software he was using anyway. He was more like the push this this this and this and your done, any problems call the guy who knows what he is doing. Anyone know if there is a way to program just the buttons on this remote to the vehicle or have any other suggestions?

You mentioned that the new Key cranks the engine, but does the engine run?

If the engine does run with the new key, try to follow these programming instructions for the remote part only:

How to reprogram your remote entry transmitters

You must have all remote entry transmitters (maximum of four)

available before beginning this procedure.

Note: Ensure the brake pedal is not

depressed during this sequence.

To reprogram the remote entry

transmitters:

1. Ensure the vehicle is electronically unlocked.

2. Put the key in the ignition.

3. Cycle eight times rapidly (within 10 seconds) between the 1 (LOCK)

position and 3 (RUN). Note: The eighth turn must end in the 3 (RUN)

position.

4. The doors will lock, then unlock, to confirm that the programming

mode has been activated.

5. Within 20 seconds press any button on the remote entry transmitter to

be programmed. Note: If more than 20 seconds have passed you will

need to start the procedure over again.

6. The doors will lock, then unlock, to confirm that each remote entry

transmitter has been programmed.

7. Repeat Step 5 to program each additional remote entry transmitter.

Note: The first remote transmitter programmed corresponds to Driver 1;

the second, Driver 2.

8. Turn the ignition to the 1 (LOCK) position after you have finished

programming all of the remote entry transmitters. Note: If any one of

the transmitters is not reprogrammed, it will be erased.

9. The doors will lock, then unlock, to confirm that the programming

mode has been exited.

• 2 weeks later...

What you SHOULD get and what you DO get are two different things!

I bought my '11 Limited from a dealer and only got one - and I have the intelligent entry. A new spare is going to cost over $200. Will the dealer do anything for me? Not really. He offered me a spare at his cost and to program it for free, but as he's over an hour away, it'll be cheaper to buy one online and pay a local dealer to program it (with only one, it can't be programmed by the user).

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, dumb question. I just got my 2011 Edge (love it) but only got one key as well. I just ordered 2 off of ebay (a FRACTION of what the flip'n dealer wanted @ $250 EACH!!!). My question is, do I still need to have the dealer program at least one of them in order to get it to work?

Ok, dumb question. I just got my 2011 Edge (love it) but only got one key as well. I just ordered 2 off of ebay (a FRACTION of what the flip'n dealer wanted @ $250 EACH!!!). My question is, do I still need to have the dealer program at least one of them in order to get it to work?

Yes. You can't program a new key with only one working key. That would allow a valet or anyone else who has a key to your car to essentially make a duplicate. The dealer has to wipe out and reprogram all the new keys at the same time (or at least 2 then you can to 3rd yourself).

Thanks akirby. That's the first logical reason I've heard and totally makes sence now as to why you can't. I'm headed to Minneapolis next week (Burnsville actually) to visit my parents and I'm hoping the dealer there or a local lock smith in area can do it a little more resonable than what my dealer wants.

Why you can't program a new key with only one working key?

My best guess is for security. Having both keys available at time of programming is the only way to ensure that the person performing the programming is authorized to do so. Else, whenever you give your car & single key to anybody (valet parking, car wash...etc.) you would be at risk that someone might program a new key without your knowledge.

• Like 1