My new Edge is "pulling and veering" to the left...ANNOYING!!!

fredro

My 2015 Edge Sport has always tracked perfectly true, since Day One! However, prior to getting my Edge, I had a really-great 2011 Ford Escape that would typically pull to either the right or the left, but the direction of the pull was ONLY dependant on what position my tires were in once I had done a tire rotation! I'd been told years ago that some radial tires will track a little to one side or the other, and that the problem can sometimes become evident by making the vehicle drift in one direction or the other (which also makes your steering wheel become off-center while you try to compensate for the problem). This was exactly what happened with my Escape; rotating the tires would change the direction of the pull.

This continued for a few years, until I finally wore-out the original set of Michelins that came with it, and then I put a whole new set of identical Michelins on it. Once I was driving on that second replacement set, the problem all but disappeared... leading me to believe that there is some truth to the allegation that once in a while you're gonna get a radial tire that pulls to one side or the other.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They swapped front tires left to right for me but it still pulls to the left. The tech said it should be good because all of the specs are in the green, but he was ordering "special bolts" to get more of a camber adjustment.

Now the bolts are in, but while I was scheduling an appointment with the advisor he told me the tech doesn't think there is anything wrong with the alignment. I told him how we just made a trip to the shore and back and how on the freeways I had to keep a constant slight right pressure to avoid drifting left and maybe he should drive the car for a couple days. Now I am leery of what this appointment next week will even accomplish.

This is my 2nd brand new Ford out of 3 previously owned Fords and the ordeal is really leaving a bad impression.

• 4 years later...
On 7/6/2016 at 8:07 PM, JoeVic said:

They swapped front tires left to right for me but it still pulls to the left. The tech said it should be good because all of the specs are in the green, but he was ordering "special bolts" to get more of a camber adjustment.

Now the bolts are in, but while I was scheduling an appointment with the advisor he told me the tech doesn't think there is anything wrong with the alignment. I told him how we just made a trip to the shore and back and how on the freeways I had to keep a constant slight right pressure to avoid drifting left and maybe he should drive the car for a couple days. Now I am leery of what this appointment next week will even accomplish.

This is my 2nd brand new Ford out of 3 previously owned Fords and the ordeal is really leaving a bad impression.

Left tires too much negative camber.

Any updates?

I've had this problem (as a matter of fact, I still do :() and it's definitely the tires. I've tried rotating them many times front to back, left to right, etc... I even tried my wheels/tires setup on two different Edges and the problem was there on both of them, like if I transfered the problem from one vehicle to another. Like "fredro" said, there's "Not much I can do at this point"... :cry: Curiously, when I take the wheels off to install my winter wheels/tires combo, all of a sudden, the problem goes away! :shrug:

Claude.

Edited by 2FAST4U

16 minutes ago, 2FAST4U said:

I've had this problem (as a matter of fact, I still do :() and it's definitely the tires. I've tried rotating them many times front to back, left to right, etc... I even tried my wheels/tires setup on two different Edges and the problem was there on both of them, like if I transfered the problem from one vehicle to another. Like "fredro" said, there's "Not much I can do at this point"... :cry: Curiously, when I take the wheels off to install my winter wheels/tires combo, all of a sudden, the problem goes away! :shrug:

Claude.

Have you check your alignment.

Do you have a pic of the alignment settings to share?

Edited by mmavin@aol.com

21 minutes ago, mmavin@aol.com said:

Have you check your alignment.

Do you have a pic of the alignment settings to share?

I did have my previous Edge aligned but it wasn't very out-of-specs. Still pulled left or right. Unfortunately I don't have the alignment specs. "Waldo" might be right when he says that "The Edge is very sensitive to this type of issue, just due to the nature of its suspension geometry"

The only thing I was able to do it to learn to live with it... :censored:

Claude.

P.S: Like I said in my previous post, as soon as install my winter wheels and tires, the problem goes away... so it's obvious the problem comes from the t-i-r-e-s.

14 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

If the tread isn't perfectly centered on a tire it will cause this.

Tire manufacturers test each tire for balance and tracking. The best go to OEM (less lead weights needed in balancing) everytning else goes to aftermarket. 

Mmmm I don't think so. Some tires are specifically made with an asymetrical thread to help traction as well as dispersing water. As for testing each tire, they don't have time for that as production has to move at a certain pace. And about going to OEM, you can't really count on that for very long because after a while,  tire manufacturers discontinue a certain tire thread to replace it with another one.

On 9/12/2020 at 2:32 PM, mmavin@aol.com said:

Left tires too much negative camber.

Any updates?

With 41,000 miles on the tires now, there was the slightest excess wear on the outer edges of the tires that were most recently on front.  But that would make it slightly positive camber or toe in/out issue.  The tires have been rotated numerous times and the slight pull is always to the left, so I doubt that it is the tires.  I have learned to live with it.  

On 9/12/2020 at 2:33 PM, mmavin@aol.com said:

What kind of bolts?

I was never able to verify that they installed any special bolts.  Honestly, I think they were just trying to placate me.

Edited by JoeVic