My new Edge is "pulling and veering" to the left...ANNOYING!!!

fredro

I just picked up my brand new 2013 Edge Sport AWD just about a month ago. It has been in 2 different Ford service centers for about 3 weeks of the month that I've owned the vehicle. Since day one, the vehicle seems to pull or veer to the left as soon as I let go of the steering wheel at highway speeds (above 55). I took it back to the dealer where I purchased the vehicle. They tried 2 different alignments, and rotated the tires twice as well. The service manager said it was normal for the car to pull because of the roads being "crowned". I still wasn't satisfied so I contacted Ford customer service and informed them of my worries. The regional manager had me bring my car to another local Ford service center for a second opinion. The second service manager said he felt the pulling after he test drove it and agreed to fix it. Another alignment, and rotation of the tires and still the problem exists. Again, he claimed the various road conditions were to blame. I own 3 other vehicles, none of which pull like my Edge. All of which are driven on the same roads, same conditions, several times a week. I was also told that the 22" stock rims were known to "drift" because of the diameter size and width of the rims/tires. I live in NY and frequently drive to PA, NJ, VT for snowboarding, and I don't feel completely comfortable driving lengthy distances like this.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is it something that eventually goes away with tire wear? Do I just suck it up and deal with it/ get used to it? The money I paid for this car, I should not have these feelings. Oh, by the way, I'm not a big fan of the SYNC system either. It freezes up, lags, and doesn't respond well to voice commands. i already had to master reset the system to stop the lagging/freezing. SOOOO ANNOYING!!!

Please help shed some light on this issue. My next step is to cry "LEMON"!!!!

Very unsatisfied customer....

Fredro

Hopefully Waldo will chime in - he's an expert on this type of problem. It could be a tire but if you've already rotated them then that's probably not it.

Another possibility is a bad wheel bearing or brake dragging. After driving the car for a long distance check the temperature of each wheel and/or rotor. If one is significantly hotter than the others than something is dragging. Or just jack up each wheel and try spinning it.

Waldo also says that sometimes tolerances within each individual part in the suspension adds up to be out of spec overall. But I don't remember the fix for that or how to identify it.

I had the EXACT same problem on my 2013 AWD except mine pulled to the right. I have the 20" chrome clad wheels. Vehicle would pull slightly to the right most of the time. Occasionally would pull hard right (change a complete lane in about 5 car lengths).

Took it into dealer for 2 different alignments before I had the service manager finally come for a ride. They did some testing while rotating tires to different locations and deemed it to be a faulty tire. They ordered a new tire.

Seemed better. Then I had the 10k tire rotation. Now it pulls to the left. I gave up.

My 2011 AWD Limited with 20" chrome clad wheels would slightly veer to the right if I let it, not really a pull like others, I just learned to get used to it. I didin't have any uneven tire wear or brake issues for the 30,000 miles I had the vehicle.

Edited by lraia

As one who is almost ready to made a deal on a new Edge, I am a but concerned about this. Does it seem to be a fairly common problem among Edge owners? That would drive me nuts, and wish I kept my old Jeep (which STILL drives like new).

I hope you get this resolved soon. Please post back with any new info.

The "pulling/veering" has slightly got better. Or should I say "occuring less". Maybe the tires have worn in a little, or maybe I've grown used to it a bit. Nevertheless, I've tried everything and anything, and at this point, it is what it is.

I don't hate the car, but I haven't fallen in love with it either. I'm on the fence and undecided with my feelings towards the edge. It's growing on me though...

There are things I really like about it, and there are things that bug me... nothing is perfect.

Time will tell.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2012 Edge Sport, and mine has pulled one direction or another almost since I purchased it. I agree that it's VERY annoying. After numerous trips to several dealers and phone calls to Ford Customer Service, they finally determined that I had 2 faulty tires and replaced them. It helped for a little while but has certainly regressed to pulling again. Next time I'm in for service, I'm going to bring it up again.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread. But am a second owner of a 2013 Edge Sport AWD. I've had it for about 6 months and in the recent month have noticed a strong pull to the left. I just thought it was the alignment and went to have that worked on, but they said the alignment is fine and to take it to the dealer (went to goodyear).

For what its worth, I am more than happy with my purchase. This is the only problem I have had with it. And what the heck is a tsb? Apparently that's what I need to fix it according to a reply above.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the alignment specs changed for 2015? I am having a slight track to the left also. After the dealer aligned it, it doesn't trac left as much, but the steering doesn't seem neutral. From a right turn, the steering wheel returns to just past center (slightly to left) much quicker. From a left turn the wheel barely makes it back to center and with much less 'gusto'. The dealer said his alignment machine didn't have 2015 specs loaded in it, so they aligned it with 2014 specs and said the toe needed adjustment.

Not sure if the specs would be different, but I think the underlying suspension geometry is completely different. The 2015+ is built on an entirely different chasis/platform than the previous models.

I know the body was totally redesigned for 2015, wasn't sure about the chassis though. Not getting a good feeling, called the advisor and was told to bring it back next week, but he wasn't sure what more they could do. I would hope they would start over with 2015 alignment specs. Also trying to explain how the steering wheel returned differently form one direction to the other when you let go of the wheel, he stated "don't let go of the wheel.

2008-2014 Edge and Fusion was on CD3 which was based on a Mazda platform.

2013+ Fusion and 2015+ Edge is on CD4 which came from the European Mondeo. Completely different platforms.

As far as I know, the CD4 did not come from the Mondeo, it was a new global Ford platform and the 2013 Fusion was launched more than a year before the Mondeo using the CD4 platform.

• 2 months later...

Still having a slight pull to the left after two visits to the dealer. The advisor says all specs are in the green, attached is the printout. I don't think they tried to even the cross camber measurements. Does anything jump out to anyone on the printout that would cause the pull?

post-37523-0-81243300-1466462303_thumb.jpeg