2011 edge gas question. wtf?

2011edgese

EdgeSE: Help us understand your comments.

You seem to be describing: 1) you recently bought this vehicle; 2) several times, when you attempt to fill the gas tank, it only accepts 14 gallons of fuel; 3) the vehicle's gas gauge shows FULL every time you fuel up the vehicle; 4) the "Distance to E" shown on your Message Center display is usually about 252 miles.

When you are fueling up the vehicle, once the pump automatically shuts off the first time, do you stop pumping gas and hang up the nozzle, or do you manually continue pumping gas into your vehicle until the tank is absolutely full?

Asked another way -- Are you certain your 18-gallon gas tank is filled to its 18-gallon capacity?

Good luck!

Edited by Haz

haz, yes. You understood correctly. Now. ... I did a test today. But yes I stop at the first click at the pump.Shows full. Always takes 14 gals. But today, I topped it off until it pissed. which was 4 more very short clicks at the pump. So it is filling the tank at the first click. So I think I nailed it down. At low fuel level warning light (50miles) at the odometer, There's 2 gals before it hits 0 miles left. Then, 2 more gals at the reserve. Is that correct? But should the display show more than 252 miles until empty at each fill up?or that's just normal?

Now that you've filled the tank of your vehicle several times and you've driven hundreds of miles, have you done the math to calculate your vehicle's actual miles-per-gallon performance?

Discussions on fuel economy by other Edge/MKX owners can be found here, here, here, and here.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz

you confused me. 1.8 gallon reserve, That's including the reserve? or 1.8 and not counting the reserve?

Ford typically allows 10% reserve after empty or 1.8 gallons for a 18 gallon tank. Add to that the number of miles to empty and you can get an idea of how much fuel is left in the tank. If you're averaging 20 mpg and you're 50 miles to empty that's 2.5 gallons. 2.5 + 1.8 = 4.3 gallons remaining.

lol. Now I'm more confused.lollololol. answer me this. so my tank has 1.8 gallons, after I use those. ... I have 1.8 left?

No. If your tank is 18 gallons and has a 1.8 gallon reserve then after you've used 16.2 gallons the fuel gauge will read empty and it will say 0 miles to empty. At that point you still have 1.8 gallons left.

Ok. Here's some good data. Filled the tank fully by topping it off until the car pissed. I know it's not a good idea to top it off but I have top make sure it's filled fully. Ran it until I reached 0 miles on the estimated time to empty on the dash. I got 388.4 miles on it from city driving and some 30% in highway driving.

THIS IS WHAT THE DASH READ:

Distance to E: 0

Miles traveled: 388.4

Fuel Used: 20.00 gal

Average Fuel: 19.4 mpg

Ok... at the pump I once again filled it at top speed and it clicked at 16.68 gal. Then proceded to click it until it pissed again and it pissed at exactly 16.91. I pushed ut till it reached exactly 17 gal. So worth this data.. I can see the computer reading 20 gal used us way off. And also it looks like running it to 0 miles means I have 1 gallon left exactly. The needle was right on top of the red dash too. Exactly on the red dash to be precise. I turned the key off and on to see if the needle drops and it does drop just barely like 5 hair strands. So... looks like im all good really. Ill log in the next empty tank for future referance.

• 4 weeks later...

My 2011 Limited is averaging 18.9 with a mixed loop of city and highway. However, the real test is driving to Sedona, AZ because you are literally going up a mountain to get there. My 2011 used 1/2 a tank (went from 3/4 tank to 1/4 tank). Coming back, it used slightly over 1/4 of a tank.