Fuel Mileage Getting Better 'n Better

Scorpio

Was on a bit of a road trip again this weekend, 400 mile round trip, and on the return leg with cruise set at 110km/hr (posted limit is 100) managed a consistent 8.7L/100km mpg, or just over 27mpg. I can live with that for an AWD V6 :) .

Wow!!! Did you do all the conversions right because I can't imagine getting that in my AWD V6 at 68mph... heck I can't imagine those numbers at 55mph. :)

I am assuming you live in Western Canada. If that mileage is achieved in Manitoba or Sk in Winter, that is truly amazing. When I hit the 1st Manitoba gas I see my mileage drop and it stays down until I can get some good AB gas. This is true not just of the Edge, but of my Passat before and my HD Electra Glide.. My assumption is that there is more alcohol in their gas.

Wow!!! Did you do all the conversions right because I can't imagine getting that in my AWD V6 at 68mph... heck I can't imagine those numbers at 55mph. :)

As a Canuck on US forums for years, have those conversion sites down pat LOL

I did well with my MKX on a trip recently. The thing I noticed is that speed is a huge factor on the mileage!

Definitely, as speed increased above that 110km/hr, fuel mileage drops quickly.

I am assuming you live in Western Canada. If that mileage is achieved in Manitoba or Sk in Winter, that is truly amazing. When I hit the 1st Manitoba gas I see my mileage drop and it stays down until I can get some good AB gas. This is true not just of the Edge, but of my Passat before and my HD Electra Glide.. My assumption is that there is more alcohol in their gas.

I'm out east, no "winter" gas here, so no alcohol content. I don't pay a whole lot of attention to mileage on a day to day basis, but as the opportunity came up on this road trip, I decided to monitor it a bit closer again. With that said though, the car has definitely improved since new last October when I was seeing low 20's mpg in the same circumstances. Transport Canada's rating is 7.8l/100km, so still not that good yet, but again not bad for what it is IMO.

Edited by Scorpio

I have gotten 26mpg in the summer doing between 55 - 65 with cruise set. I was pretty dang impressed when I did it. I had to be really good about not passing which is killer to mpg.

Was on a bit of a road trip again this weekend, 400 mile round trip, and on the return leg with cruise set at 110km/hr (posted limit is 100) managed a consistent 8.7L/100km mpg, or just over 27mpg. I can live with that for an AWD V6 :) .

8.7L/100KM is about 33MPG......thats imperial gallons not U.S. gallons. it would be about 27MPG in U.S. gallons.

I purchased an Edge SEL V6 about a month ago and was misinformed about the Ecoboost. Salesman was trying to push the V6s, and he downplayed the Ecoboost. Guess they are trying to get the V6 models off of their lot. Do you think that the Ecoboost gets that much better gas mileage? One poster in this forum indicates that he is getting 32+ mpg. If so, how big of a hit do you think I would take by trading my V6 so soon for the Ecoboost?

You get soaked on trading so quickly IMO - you'd never make up the financial loss in fuel saving alone. I would have seriously considered the Ecoboost too IF it'd been available with AWD, which unfortunately, it isn't. Our Acura RDX has a turbo 4 +AWD and it's a great combo there.

We were planning on buying the Ecoboost - but when we saw that you cannot get the 2012 Limited with 302a package and Ecoboost - we went for the V6. We love all the bells and whistles, but was impressed with the performance of the Ecoboost when we test drove it. It's the only thing missing from my Edge ..... well that and the software release!

We were planning on buying the Ecoboost - but when we saw that you cannot get the 2012 Limited with 302a package and Ecoboost - we went for the V6. We love all the bells and whistles, but was impressed with the performance of the Ecoboost when we test drove it. It's the only thing missing from my Edge ..... well that and the software release!

Same here.... I really, really wanted the fuel savings with EcoBoost... BUT... 302a and AWD were not negotiable... so I had to go V6. I get like 18.8 mph right now with mainly HWY driving about 60 miles each day back and forth to work. I only have 2000 miles on my 2012... hoping it gets better especially once we get rid of the winter gas mixes.

I purchased an Edge SEL V6 about a month ago and was misinformed about the Ecoboost. Salesman was trying to push the V6s, and he downplayed the Ecoboost. Guess they are trying to get the V6 models off of their lot. Do you think that the Ecoboost gets that much better gas mileage? One poster in this forum indicates that he is getting 32+ mpg. If so, how big of a hit do you think I would take by trading my V6 so soon for the Ecoboost?

Forget about it and enjoy the V6. The EPA ratings are only 2-3 mpg different - you'll never come close to making up the depreciation hit in fuel savings. If you can get 32 with the 2.0L EB then you can get 29 with your V6. Don't sweat it.

Conversely - if you're only getting 25 with the V6 then you'll only get 28 with the 2.0L EB.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just completed a trip this weekend and was able to get 26mpg, which I think was due to not having the A/C compressor on at all. I've done this trip many times before and usually get around 22mpg while leaving the climate controls on "auto." Does the compressor really cause this much drag?

edit: this was probably 50% at 70-75mph and 40% at 60-65mph and 10% stop and go.

post-12894-0-73094600-1349105447_thumb.jpg

Edited by mrdave

This is slightly off topic, but I was wondering how do you get the MPG and number of gallons used to display on the trip tracker? Is this a feature only certain models (i.e. 2011 or AWD) have? Mine just shows the elapsed mileage and timer.

It's under: Settings > something > gauges > enhanced gauges

I've averager as high as 29 MPG on my 2011 LTD 3.5 AWD on flat highway driving keeping it around 60 MPH.

That's really good. Probably due to the speed b/c at that speed the rpm are very low, once you get to the higher 60s and into the 70s the rpm just keep rising which is why the gas mileage gets worse. Despite all of that though, 29mpg in an AWD is amazing

• 1 month later...

I just found this site and this was the first post I read. I am amazed that you guys are getting mileage that high. We have the SEL 2011 Edge with the 3.5 and around town we only get about 17mpg. i think i got it up to 22-24 on a road trip with mostly interstate miles but 29 mpg is way out of the question. We keep it on the mpg monitor to work to keep it in the 17mpg range.

Is the decreased winter mpg also perhaps a function of the AC compressor running when the defrost is active? I asked the dealer if they could shut it off and they said no. On my previous non Ford SUV, the AC would come on when you set the system to front defrost only but you could turn it off afterwards.

I understand the need to run the compressor occasionally during the winter but seems like a heck of a waste of fuel to run it constantly for 6 months when it below freezing.

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t know how you guys with the V6 AWD get such good gas mileage. We just took our new 2013 Limited V6 AWD to Fargo and back over Thanksgiving. It was a 1,000 mile trip. All interstate. The Edge had 800 mile on it when we started. Our trip average was 19.1. The best I have been able to get so far is 21 mpg and that was only on a partial tank. Again, I am very disappointed. I hoped to be near that 25 mpg range based on what I had been reading.