Crossbar and basket question

I have a Rage Stingray roof basket that I used on my Jeep Compass, and I kept to put on the Edge

I have the factory roof rails but not crossbars yet, the spacing is only 21" but the basket is recommended for 27.5" spacing (but I measured and it will fit)

I want flush crossbars not raised ones to keep the basket low, but the only alternative I found is Yakima Whispbars that are $350-450

So do I buy OEM bars and risk the spacing difference or spend hundreds more to get the Yakimas?

How long is your roof basket? How much are you planning on carrying in it? Can you discipline yourself to keep the bulk of your load balanced / centered between those two 21 inch OEM bars? Have you priced the cost of the OEM cross bars? They are probably more expensive then you think. Once you know that cost, the price jump to the Yakima bars may not feel quite as painful.

I'm carrying a canoe that only weighs 26 pounds so the weight wasn't my concern. But I did want to spread the stress by the wind drag on the canoe so I opted for a Yakima system that gave me a 32 1/2 inch spread. That 21 inch spread on the OEM bars made me very nervous. As you are driving 75 MPH down the highway in a buffeting wind, how comfortable are you going to feel about the OEM bars? Sometimes spending the extra money is worth the peace of mind.

BTW, I purchased my bars from a company called rack attack. They had the best pricing I could find. If you go with the Whispebars, please post pictures and a summary of how they are working out.

I found a pair of 2013 Ford Edge factory Crossbars for $225 at http://www.dealerfit.com/ford/edge-roof-rails-prod831_18381.php

IMO, go with the Yakimas because you can easily move the bars for the necessary spacing. You need the peace of mind the cargo carriers attached correctly. I carry kayaks on Thules; never liked round bars. :shades: I've spent a lot of money on Thule equipment over the years and never regretted the purchases.

Thanks for the replies guys. The basket is 52" long, and I'd likely be carrying a stroller and suitcases, so I think I'll try to find a good price on the Yakima's - trouble is US prices are $100 lower but with shipping and import it comes back up, so I'll have to save/sell stuff to afford those ones..!

Once I get them or something else I'll post pics with the basket on, don't see any on Edges normally

Edited by BeDevil79

I'm aware that Rack Attack has several retail stores in Canada, though it appears their website is USA-focused.

If you have not already, perhaps you could contact one of their Canadian stores to determine if the pricing disparity you describe is simply the result of currency exchange rates or if the higher Canadian prices are caused by something else.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Found a set of Ford crossbars on Kijiji for $100 and almost went for it but decided against it - I really want to get the Whispbars

I did a test fit of the basket today (with fence posts!) and you can see why I want the low crossbars not raised ones, the basket is too high - nice to see one on an Edge though

gallery_22276_515_25943.jpg

Edited by BeDevil79

• 2 months later...