Rear Window Buffeting

ar&wr

Has anyone experienced this? Driving down the highway, and you roll the rear window down to let the dog hang his head out. There is a severe wind buffet experienced, almost a rhythmic sensation. Gets worse the further down the window is. Any cures?

Normal. Its even mentioned in the Owners Guide under "Power Windows":

Ā 

Rear Window Buffeting:

When one or both of the rear windows are open, the vehicle may demonstrate a wind throb or buffeting noise. This noise can be alleviated by lowering a front window approximately 2ā€“3 inches (5ā€“8 cm).

Ā 

Though to be honest, it is really bad compared to my previous cars. Sometimes it even kind of whistles.

I have noticed the edge being worse than my last car. An open sunroof takes care of the issue for me, but if it's nice enough to have the windows down, all of mine usually are. The sunroof can't be pushed back beyond the auto-open position without the presence of buffeting, no matter what combo of open/closed side windows you have.

This is nothing new. Cars have always done this. As a kid riding in the back seat of our 63 Valient (no AC), if I rolled a window down, they had to open at least the little vent windows in the front.

Vent windows! I wonder what the last car with vent windows was.