Window tint HELP

dolphinsc66

Purchased a used 2010 Ford Edge Limited back in September, 2012 and am considering getting the front windows tinted to match the rest of the tinting. I have never had this done before so if there are any experts out there who can give me advice, I would appreciate it. I was also hoping to get the front windshield done to help minimize the awful glare from the dash, but legally it can't be tinted even as dark as the factory installed tint in the rear windows. I'm in South Carolina so I don't know what the laws are regarding the darkness of the tint. Also, if you can educate me on the different types of tint I would really appreciate it. It gets hot here in Charleston, SC so I'm looking forward to the tinted windows helping to keep the vehicle cooler while I'm driving or even while parked.

South Carolina allows 27% tint on side and rear windows. That means that the window must allow at least 27% of the light to pass through. So the lower the number, the darker the tint ("limo" tint is usually 5%). However, I think you'll find that the factory "privacy glass" tint on the rear windows is already darker than that... I don't know how they get away with that. I put slightly darker than legal 25% tint on the driver's and passenger's windows but they still look lighter than the rear windows - it appears the factory tint is something like 20%.

Another option similar to SunTek is 3M "Ceramic" or "Crystaline" films which come with lifetime warranties and block about 60% of the heat coming into your car.

• Like 1

For those who don't feel comfortable darkening their windows, Llumar has a product called AirBlue 80. This is an 80% tint that ANYONE would be hard pressed to tell you had it tinted. It looks like factory glass except that you have VERY high heat rejection.

As for my back windows and front doors, I am running the AZ legal limit of 35%.

• Like 1

I have 18% Johnson's tint on mine. It's a little bit darker than factory tint, and it has more of a green hue than the orange hue that the factory tint seems to have in comparison. I've also been considering 50% on the front windshield. I drive with the sunroof open a lot, so I should still be visible inside.

For those who don't feel comfortable darkening their windows, Llumar has a product called AirBlue 80. This is an 80% tint that ANYONE would be hard pressed to tell you had it tinted. It looks like factory glass except that you have VERY high heat rejection.

As for my back windows and front doors, I am running the AZ legal limit of 35%.

I have this on my front windhield in my 13' Titanium Fusion. You can't tell its on there at all and the vehicle is always about 20 degrees cooler inside since installation. This is also combined with 5% on side and back windows.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the only place within 30 minutes of me with Airblue refuses to put it on my whole windshield, because it's illegal. Wants to charge me $325 to put it on the rear windows. That's insane! I wonder if they'd put illegal tint on my side windows. LOL So I guess I'm just getting a brow.

• 10 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have 18% Johnson's tint on mine. It's a little bit darker than factory tint, and it has more of a green hue than the orange hue that the factory tint seems to have in comparison. I've also been considering 50% on the front windshield. I drive with the sunroof open a lot, so I should still be visible inside.

Better check into this a little closer. Ohio only allows the top 5 inches to be tinted on the windshield (SUV or van). Front side windows must allow 50% light to pass through. 2nd seat and rear window can be any amount of shading.

An additional restriction is the tint must not be more reflective than a standard window (probably means don't use silver or chrome tint).

Also, in Ohio, any film you use must be certified by the manufacturer for use in Ohio.

The only films I've found around me are Llumar, Johnson's, and Pride. I wonder if the guy who did my front windows would install it if I brought it to him, if I can order it myself.

In Ohio, whatever tint you install mst be certified by the manufacturer for use in Ohio,

Before and After

20% all windows

In Indiana, legal limit on front drivers and passengers windows is 30%. Very vague as to what's allowed on back and rear.

On windshield nothing below the AS-1 Line (about top 5 inches).

(Don't get pulled over for speeding or anything, state police & most sheriffs will check).

Film on drivers and passengers (front and back) windows cannot be more than 25% reflective. No requirements on rear.

No restriction on color or on mirrors.

Films are required to be certified by manufacturer for use in Indiana. If you did yourself, keep the manufactures certification to take to court.

As you exceed the legal limit of 30% and cover the windshield, (a big no-no), if you get pulled over for an infraction and they notice your tint (they will), your only out would be a medical exemption as prescribed by doctor to avoid strong sunlight. (Medical exemption's are allowed in Indiana). Lacking that the fine will be painful.