Throttle Body Service or Failure

Maavalous1

I have a 2011 Edge SED AWD 33K miles and I have the same issue. My problem started last week and it has happend 2 times. I was driving 20 MPH and AWD Off light came on along with the wrench. I had no power from the engine even though it was running. I pulled over and the engine was running very rough and it felt like it was misfiring. I shut the enging off and restarted it and it was ok. I took it to the dealer and they said it did not throw a code but the tech called Ford and they told him to check seal plate on the transmission valve body. The replaced the seal plate and two days later the same thing happened again. The car has been at the dealer since the 8th and it did not throw a code and they believe it is the throttle body but since it did throw a code and the job is $1100.00 that they could not replace it. I refused to take the car home because of this issue and told them to FIX MY CAR! I have not heard from anyone today and I will post again when I have more information.

please update us what happened. Every dealer is different. My car is running good so far. I even cleaned the throttle body with the safe coating coat cleaner and is berm running really good ever since.

• 2 months later...

2011 Ford Edge SE 3.5L

Having the limp/creep mode several times a week.

Are there any newer versions of the throttle body?

Is part number 7T4Z-9E926-FA the correct part number and latest version?

that sucks! Still with the issue huh? I'd call the dealer and ask then about a revised version if there's any. Edited by 2011edgese

• 5 weeks later...

My 2011 Limited did this for the first time on Saturday, and again this morning. I have ~55K miles on it. I'm going to clean the TB and see if that helps. If not, I'll buy another TB and swap it myself. RockAuto.com has it new for ~$193. I found a used one w/90-Day warranty on eBay for ~$79. I may go the cheaper route and try a used one.

Edited by sixponies

My 2011 Limited did this for the first time on Saturday, and again this morning. I have ~55K miles on it. I'm going to clean the TB and see if that helps. If not, I'll buy another TB and swap it myself. RockAuto.com has it new for ~193. I found a used one w/90-Day warranty on eBay for ~$79. I may go the cheaper route and try a used one.

whats awful is how we still dont know what causes this. There had been members here who had it changed by the dealer and the problem came back. So me think ee are looking on the wrong area.

Edited by 2011edgese

Had my 2012 Edge (46K miles) towed in yesterday. Was driving along just fine, heard a clunk, then the monkey wrench came on. The enging was running rough after this and I was not able to move. It seemed to me I had a transmission problem.

Dealer called today saying it is the throbble body and $700 to repair. They say its not covered under factory or extended warranty.

Is this a reasonable price for the repairs? Im in the Pearland, Texas area.

Had my 2012 Edge (46K miles) towed in yesterday. Was driving along just fine, heard a clunk, then the monkey wrench came on. The enging was running rough after this and I was not able to move. It seemed to me I had a transmission problem.

Dealer called today saying it is the throbble body and $700 to repair. They say its not covered under factory or extended warranty.

carefull! I think some people got the repair free under warranty. Anyone remembers?

The throttle body is not mentioned in the warranty guide under the extended warranty, so its probably not covered (the below is for a Lincoln, hence 6Y/70K):

Extended warranty coverage periods are available for certain
vehicle parts and conditions. Specifically,

(1) Your vehicle’s Powertrain components are covered for six years or
70,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The extended coverage applies to
the Engine: all internal lubricated parts, cylinder block, cylinder heads,
electrical fuel pump, electronic engine control unit, engine mounts,
flywheel, injection pump, manifold (exhaust and intake), manifold bolts,
oil pan, oil pump, seals and gaskets, thermostat, thermostat housing,
timing chain cover, timing chain (gears or belt),
turbocharger/supercharger unit, valve covers, water pump;
Transmission: all internal parts, clutch cover, seals and gaskets, torque
converter, transfer case (including all internal parts), transmission case,
transmission mounts; Front-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, bearings (front
and rear), center support bearing, drive shafts, final drive housing
(including all internal parts), hubs-automatic front locking (four-wheel
drive), locking rings (four-wheel drive), seals and gaskets, universal and
constant velocity joints; Rear-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, bearings (front
and rear), center support bearing, drive axle housing (including all
internal parts), drive shaft, propeller shafts, retainers, supports, seals and
gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints.
(2) Your vehicle’s safety belts and air bag Supplemental Restraint (SRS)
are covered for an extended Safety Restraint Coverage Period, which
lasts for five years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
(3) Your vehicle’s body sheet metal panels are covered for an extended
Corrosion Coverage Period, which lasts for 5 years, regardless of miles
driven. The extended warranty coverage only applies if a body sheet
metal panel becomes perforated due to corrosion during normal use due
to a manufacturing defect in factory-supplied materials or factory
workmanship. For damage caused by airborne material (environmental
fallout) where there is no factory-related defect involved and therefore
no warranty - our policy is to provide free repair of paint damage due to
airborne material for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

However, the Throttlebody is covered under the Emissions Defect warranty for 4Y/50K, though I don't know if its failure as a part is also considered an Emission Deffect:

WHAT IS COVERED?
For your vehicle if these parts contain an emissions-related defect, they
are covered by both the Emissions Defect Warranty and the Emissions
Performance Warranty.
• Air Flow Sensor
• Air/Fuel Feedback Control
System and Sensors
• Air Induction System
• Catalytic Converter
• Electronic Engine Control Unit
(ECU)*
• Electronic Engine Control
Sensors and Switches
• Evaporative Emissions Control
System
• Exhaust Gas Recirculation
(EGR) System
• Exhaust Manifold
• Exhaust Pipe (Manifold to
Catalyst)
• Fuel Filler Cap and Neck
Restrictor
• Fuel Injection System
• Fuel Injector Supply Manifold
• Fuel Tank
• Fuel Tank Pressure Control
Valve
• Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve
• Ignition Coil and/or Control
Module
• Intake Manifold
• Malfunction Indicator Lamp
(MIL)/On-Board Diagnostic
(OBD) System
• PCV System and Oil Filler Cap
• Secondary Air Injection System
• Spark Control Components
• Spark Plugs and Ignition Wires
• Thermostat
• Throttle Body Assembly (MFI)
• Turbocharger Assembly
• Vacuum Distribution System
* Includes hardware and emissions related software changes only

• Like 1

My 2011 Limited has now done this to me four or five times in the last two weeks-once on a busy interstate highway. I cleaned the TB last week, but obviously that hasn't helped. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and order and new one and swap it. I have ~57K miles on the car.

update us if you do replace it. I wonder if it will fix it. So soome peeps, it works and others. ... the problem returns.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody have any news on this? I got the limp mode two times in about two weeks about a year ago. Dealer could not pull codes so they said they can't do anything. I talked to a regional guy, and if it happened again he would loan me a "flight recorder" but it has not happened again. Today I took it in for an oil change and tire rotation (53k miles, 2011) and the service guy said an induction cleaning is recommended. I said no and later looked in my manual and there is no reference to induction cleaning as regular maintenance at any mileage. Additionally on the nhtsa.gov website there are a LOT of complaints about this problem of limp mode/wrench symbol. I have 6,100k ESP)

My 2011 Limited has now done this to me four or five times in the last two weeks-once on a busy interstate highway. I cleaned the TB last week, but obviously that hasn't helped. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and order and new one and swap it. I have ~57K miles on the car.

Anybody have any news on this? I got the limp mode two times in about two weeks about a year ago. Dealer could not pull codes so they said they can't do anything. I talked to a regional guy, and if it happened again he would loan me a "flight recorder" but it has not happened again. Today I took it in for an oil change and tire rotation (53k miles, 2011) and the service guy said an induction cleaning is recommended. I said no and later looked in my manual and there is no reference to induction cleaning as regular maintenance at any mileage. Additionally on the nhtsa.gov website there are a LOT of complaints about this problem of limp mode/wrench symbol. I have 6,100k ESP)

Good morning, all!

Are you still experiencing these concerns? Send me some details and I'll look into available options on my end.

Todd

Sorry, I forgot to post an update earlier. About two weeks ago, I bought a new TB on eBay for ~$120 and replaced it myself (my warranty's expired). Prior to buying and changing the TB, I wanted to make sure that this would fix the problem, so I talked to a good friend of mine who had this happen last year (goes by "Dingo" on this forum). I wanted to know if the problem returned after the TB swap. DIngo said that this fault hasn't returned on his Edge since having the TB changed. That gave me some reassurance that this was the right repair for this problem.

It's very easy to do. Just remove the intake hose, disconnect the wiring plug from the TB,and then the TB comes off after removing four bolts. The whole process should take at most an hour, so I'm not sure why it costs upwards of $700 at the dealership. For me it took a little longer because I also installed a K&N Cold Air Intake the same time. But by replacing the TB myself, I saved a ton of money, and had the fun and satisfaction of turning the wrenches and fixing it myself. Right after I swapped the TB, my wife took the Edge on a 1200 mile round trip journey to Alabama and didn't have any problems.

But here's what I don't understand, and maybe the Ford Service folks can explain for us: It seems (at least from what people discuss on this forum) that that there are several wide-spread problems with various systems/parts on the Edge and that they're present in both first and second generation models. I'm talking about this throttle body problem, the recurring problem with the Vista roof not closing or closing slowly, and the door ajar sensor issue. At what point does Ford finally own up to the fact that these parts were faulty designs to begin with or faulty parts/systems or whatever and recall/replace them at no cost to the customer, no matter what the individual mileage may be on a given Edge? I'm sure there are many more people dealing with these issues than just what we've seen on this forum. I'd like to see some statistic from Ford Service on these three issues regarding how many parts have been replaced and/or service has been performed for these three prominent problems.

To not own up to major problems like these doesn't speak too well to Ford's "Quality is Job 1" mantra, and could drive loyal Ford customers towards other brands...

• Like 1

There is a big difference between not owning up to problems and not extending the factory warranty on an item that's know to fail in some cases.

I've seen Ford do extended warranties on certain parts and certain vehicles so it does happen. I don't know what they use to decide each case.

I would like to see Ford extend the warranty on parts with known high failure rates.

There is a big difference between not owning up to problems and not extending the factory warranty on an item that's know to fail in some cases.

I've seen Ford do extended warranties on certain parts and certain vehicles so it does happen. I don't know what they use to decide each case.

I would like to see Ford extend the warranty on parts with known high failure rates.

That's exactly what I meant when I said "not owning up to" the problems I mentioned above. I meant doing the right thing regarding high-failure items replacing them at no cost to the customer.

I tend to look at these things from a business standpoint. It really doesn't matter whether a problem is known or not or widespread or not - it's still a manufacturing defect and subject to the warranty terms. If you want protection beyond the factory warranty you have to purchase it.

OTOH I think it's good customer service to extend the warranty on parts with a higher than average failure rate. Ford seems to be walking the line here, doing it sometimes and not others. The difference is I don't really fault them for not extending the warranty.

But here's what I don't understand, and maybe the Ford Service folks can explain for us: It seems (at least from what people discuss on this forum) that that there are several wide-spread problems with various systems/parts on the Edge and that they're present in both first and second generation models. I'm talking about this throttle body problem, the recurring problem with the Vista roof not closing or closing slowly, and the door ajar sensor issue. At what point does Ford finally own up to the fact that these parts were faulty designs to begin with or faulty parts/systems or whatever and recall/replace them at no cost to the customer, no matter what the individual mileage may be on a given Edge? I'm sure there are many more people dealing with these issues than just what we've seen on this forum. I'd like to see some statistic from Ford Service on these three issues regarding how many parts have been replaced and/or service has been performed for these three prominent problems.

To not own up to major problems like these doesn't speak too well to Ford's "Quality is Job 1" mantra, and could drive loyal Ford customers towards other brands...

Hi sixponies,

I understand this is frustrating. Our engineers take your safety and vehicle quality very seriously. I'm going to connect you with your regional customer service manager, who'll work with you and your dealer to come to a solution. Please send me a PM with your full name, phone number, VIN, current mileage, and preferred servicing dealership.

Todd