Crazy NAV directions

In our 2012 Edge Limited with NAV.....On a recent trip from Orlando, FL, to Columbia, SC, and back.....several times NAV wanted me to exit off I 95 at some strange exit not on any route home or to destination. I know how to do this trip....quickest trip.....done it many times, but use NAV to keep up with my arrival time and distance to destination. Just before the exit it wanted me to use, it would add about a hour or so to my arrival time (which would have been around right if I had gone the way NAV wanted). As soon as I passed the exit, it would then recalculate, time of arrival and distance go back correct. Have the NAV set on quickest time, using ferries and toll roads, and Interstates. No eco, etc.

Recently went on a trip to an attraction in Gainesville, FL, that as near an Interstate exit. NAV took me off one exit early, drove me around some commercial area a while, then directed me to attraction. My Honda with NAV and my portable Garmin don't do this and both are much more reliable. Why?

For some reason, NAV seems to have a mind of it's own sometimes. I just ignore it....but if I didn't know here I was going, it would add a lot of time to trip. Any ideas. BTW It has latest updates.

BTW....Have learned from experience that phone paring problems with my vehicle and phone can be fixed with a master reset on car and a reboot (take battery out for a few seconds) on my phone. Maybe clears cach or something.

I really like this car for use on trips etc.....but am rapidly losing interest in having MFT or MLT on next vehicle.

In our 2012 Edge Limited with NAV.....On a recent trip from Orlando, FL, to Columbia, SC, and back.....several times NAV wanted me to exit off I 95 at some strange exit not on any route home or to destination. I know how to do this trip....quickest trip.....done it many times, but use NAV to keep up with my arrival time and distance to destination. Just before the exit it wanted me to use, it would add about a hour or so to my arrival time (which would have been around right if I had gone the way NAV wanted). As soon as I passed the exit, it would then recalculate, time of arrival and distance go back correct. Have the NAV set on quickest time, using ferries and toll roads, and Interstates. No eco, etc.

Recently went on a trip to an attraction in Gainesville, FL, that as near an Interstate exit. NAV took me off one exit early, drove me around some commercial area a while, then directed me to attraction. My Honda with NAV and my portable Garmin don't do this and both are much more reliable. Why?

For some reason, NAV seems to have a mind of it's own sometimes. I just ignore it....but if I didn't know here I was going, it would add a lot of time to trip. Any ideas. BTW It has latest updates.

BTW....Have learned from experience that phone paring problems with my vehicle and phone can be fixed with a master reset on car and a reboot (take battery out for a few seconds) on my phone. Maybe clears cach or something.

I really like this car for use on trips etc.....but am rapidly losing interest in having MFT or MLT on next vehicle.

Sounds like a setting is wrong - maybe you overlooked it.

I wish it was a setting...we have had similar issues but the degree of severity or frequency changes with different revisions. Early on I thought it might be traffic related even though it was set to alert only but now we don't have traffic and still get quirky behavior.

I recently encountered similar problems on a trip from Mass to northern Michigan. I stopped at a rest stop on the Ohio Turnpike. Start driving again heading west and the GPS tells me to take the exit X. I ignored the GPS passing the new destination. The GPS proceeded to tell me to continue on the turnpike. I encountered several whacky requests to take an exit and then get back on the highway. However, the strangest issue, after starting driving when leaving the rest stop the GPS arrival time jumps to 24 hours. I guess a programmer never considered by stops, etc when writing the code and recalculating the arrival times.

One of Garmins always insisted when I drove home a certain route turn right, go down the road tow miles, turn around and continue on my original heading. So, I'm not totally convinced the problem's a MFT issue, but whoever wrote the mapping software.

I'm not sure where along 95 you were, but I do remember on my trip to and from Florida that my Nav cut out entirely, would tell me I'm on some entirely different road, or take me on an exit with a thirty minute round-a-bout trip back to 95... Except, mine was with my phone. I blamed my tint. lol

So you folks think it's just a NAV thing, and if I ever get a new NAV SD card it might go away?

It scares me to think about owning this vehicle for 10 years or so, and what repairs I might need to pay for out of my pocket. And how out of date the technology will be. If it's still supported.

Think the next Edge or Explorer I get will be a simple version. No factory NAV or MFT. Looking at plain XLT Explorer. Just get Sync for hands free calling. In many ways....I liked my portable Garmin better anyway. Just plug it into Garmin.Com for updates. If it breaks, just buy another one cheap.

I've had this Limited Edge with NAV a couple years. Have enjoyed it. But the gee whiz glamour of MFT and built in NAV, Sync, etc, have kinda worn off. Don't much care if it has it or not. Mostly like the Edge for how it drives, the good fuel economy with V6 on trips, good acceleration, quiet interior, good seats, good rear seat comfort, etc. It's a great all around tall car for us. We use something else mostly for around town driving.

• 3 months later...

Bump up an old thread. My 2013 Edge started giving me this problem too. The GPS would say I've arrived destination while I was no where near my destination. Sometimes you can see the map go crazy like a web and it keeps telling you make crazy turns while there are no such turns. It told me to make a U-turn once on the high way. The system was perfect for about 6 month, just started this problem couple of weeks ago. Anyone knows if there's a fix? Thanks.

My wife said this started after I put the snow tires on. I read in another thread that an owner said the dealer was associating this problem with snow tires too so not sure what snow tires would affect GPS.

Jay.

Edited by zzbsb

Snow tire size same as OEM? Could be an electronic gremlin/grounding issue caused by the swap from "regular" tires. A suggested solution on the F150 forums was to disconnect the negative battery cable and leave it that way for a while (I'd say 10 min +). Let the ECU relearn after the cable is hooked back up. Seems to work for them, could work for you.

http://www.f150forum.com/f38/does-tire-size-affect-2013-navigation-192747/index17/

• Like 1

Make sure the "no toll road no interstate" not on. it's a little confusing to some whether having those settings high lighted means on or off. When I first saw those settings it confused me, and I went on a trip up I 95 and it kept wanting me to exit. Checked my settings, realized my mistake, changed the settings, and no more trouble.

• Like 1

Make sure the "no toll road no interstate" not on. it's a little confusing to some whether having those settings high lighted means on or off. When I first saw those settings it confused me, and I went on a trip up I 95 and it kept wanting me to exit. Checked my settings, realized my mistake, changed the settings, and no more trouble.

NO, mine has nothing to do with the settings. I'm in Canada and the city live in has no toll roads. The GPS was perfect until I switched to winter tires. I'll disconnect the negative of the battery when I get time and see how it goes.

Don't see how 17", 18", snow, regular tread, etc, matters as long as tire circumference is same. 17" standard wheel on SE model has same tire circumference as my 18" tire on Limited.

If not same, why would you get a snow tire in a different circumference than stock tires? Snow tire/wheel combo could be 16", 17:, 18: etc, as long as tire circumference is same as stock. If circumference not same as stock, same as what's in conputer, can see how it would confuse speedo, perhaps GPS distances, etc. Don't see how it would cause the NAV to develop a mind of it's own. CPU has some leeway built into it....after all, tires lose some circumferance as they wear...or have different air pressure. Did you transfer over the TPS monitors if you changed wheels? Good luck.

Edited by RJG

As RJG alluded to, it's the circumference of the tires that's important. The GPS does use vehicle speed in determine where you are, that way when you lose the GPS signal )like when going through a tunnel), it can still keep you on track. If your snow tires are smaller circumference, your actual vehicle speed will be lower than the car thinks it is and it won't match what the GPS signal says. This could confuse the system into doing some crazy things.

This sounds like BS to me...first I would be surprised if the Nav system is looking at two sources simultaneously for the same info. It should be relying on GPS info and in the event no signal is present it should fall back to speed of vehicle and calculate current position based on last know position. Second, many have said pulling the battery helped. Well pulling the battery doesn't reprogram your cluster but it does force a hard reboot of the MFT which has been a temporary fix for some when having quirky behavior. Sp if it doesn't reprogram the cluster the speed differential would still be there so the net effect is zero.

Well, if there is a memory leak in the software, a hard boot (pulling the battery cable) would be very likely to help. Does so with microsoft-based PCs all the time. But yes, in that case, it would become a regular action item. I was thinking more along the lines of some ground or some continuity in the circuit having been affected during the swapover, giving false data to the computer. Assuming tire circumference is not an issue. Longer trips would suffer more in that case as the speed/distance calculation errors accumulate.

• 2 weeks later...