Ambient Lighting Problem

scottty6

Is anyone having trouble with the ambient lighting? After the latest software update (Gen 2-V3.6.2), I turned the ambient lighting off. The ambient lighting comes on when I either start the with lights on or I turn lights on after starting car. I have tried the master reset, no help. Anyone have any ideas on this problem? I'm getting tired of turning the ambient lighting off every time I start the car.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

For those with the Ambient Light reset problem, your dealer should be able to fix it:

TSB 14-0175 MYFORD TOUCH/MYLINCOLN TOUCH - AMBIENT LIGHTING DEFAULTS TO WHITE OR ICE-BLUE AFTER CYCLING IGNITION SWITCH

Publication Date: September 19, 2014

FORD: 2011-2014 Edge, Explorer

2013-2014 F-150, Flex, Fusion, Taurus

LINCOLN: 2011-2014 MKX

2013-2014 MKS, MKT, MKZ

ISSUE:

Some 2011-2014 Edge, Explorer, MKX, 2013-2014 Fusion, Taurus, Explorer, Flex, F-150, MKZ, MKT and MKS vehicles equipped with MyFord Touch™/MyLincoln Touch™ and ambient lighting may exhibit the ambient lighting defaulting to white on Lincoln vehicles or ice-blue on Ford vehicles after cycling the ignition switch.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1.Determine the level of software in the accessory protocol interface module (APIM) by navigating to the system information screen on the 8 inch radio display. Select:

a.Menu

b.Help

c.System Information

1.If the last five numeric digits (e.g. 4.30.13171.PRODUCT) are 13171, proceed to Step 2.

2.If the last five numeric digits are not 13171, this article does not apply. Refer to the Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 417-02 for normal diagnosis.

2.Perform SYNC module (APIM) custom programming. Refer to WSM , Section 415-00.

a.When the scan tool displays the list of available software, make sure the software version DA5T-14D544-BD (V3.6) has a green check mark. Also select the ambient light settings restore EA5T-14D546-AMA.

1.If the system auto-selects several other applications, proceed with the applications auto-selected.

b.Select continue and follow the on screen prompts.

c.As the programming is being performed, several reboots may occur.

d.Once the programming is completed, return the thumb drive to the scan tool to report software installation to the Ford online database.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

140175A Perform Reprogramming Of The APIM Using The USB Flash Drive (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.3 Hr.

WARRANTY STATUS

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage.

Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE

14D212 04

Source.

Edited by omar302

Omar 302, thanks for posting the latest information about the ambient lighting. :thumbsup: I just checked my 2013 and do have the problem of the lights defaulting to the blue color after several starts. I see the 13171 in the system information. I will try and get into the dealership this week (with a copy of your post of course) to see if they can fix the problem.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I have noticed this problem with my system going back to the ice blue lights, but the other problem I've had is that the dim settings on the display and the ambient lights always changes to full bright by itself. Has anyone else noticed this and do you know if this update by the dealer will fix that as well? Also, didn't Ford extend the warranty on the Sync system? So this should be covered? Edge is going in to fix power steering issue this week and I'd like them to take care of this as well while they have it.

Thanks,

Scott

Swalker,

1) Yes, the system does revert the auto dim setting with ambient lights. That's what I have been facing from a long time. The display reverts to full brightness and I would have to switch the mode to night then back to auto to get it back to my setting.

2) I didn't read about the issue from anyone else, so I guess it won't be fixed in the update because there aren't many who noticed it.

3) The APIM, which is the brains of MyFord Touch has an extended warranty to 5 years from purchase date without any mileage limitations. Lincolns are extended 1 more year (6 years).