AC smell

mcali6301

I have the SEL series and when I switch off the AC, the air coming out of the vent starts to smell very bad for the next 15 minutes. I replaced the filter and the problem is still there.

Now for the first time, the smell is starting to occur every 5 minutes when the AC is running. Air recirculation does not make a difference. My car is covered by Ford but I just wanted some ideas. I am worried that Ford will not be able to pinpoint the problem as I hear other people's stories.

I have the SEL series and when I switch off the AC, the air coming out of the vent starts to smell very bad for the next 15 minutes. I replaced the filter and the problem is still there.

Now for the first time, the smell is starting to occur every 5 minutes when the AC is running. Air recirculation does not make a difference. My car is covered by Ford but I just wanted some ideas. I am worried that Ford will not be able to pinpoint the problem as I hear other people's stories.

Remove the filter, put system on high blower and recirculate. Spray Lysol directly into the area where the filter goes. -- when you put itall back together the smell will be gone and stay gone if you make sure the drain is open. Do not lock the system in "recirculaate" let it run on outside air.

Hi mcali6301,

I'm Todd, the new Ford Service rep. around these parts. Your regional customer service manager is in the best position to assist with this concern. They'll be able to work directly with you and your Ford Dealer to find a solution. Please send me a private message with your full name, best daytime contact info, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll get you two connected.

Todd

Thank you for the update. Please let me know how everything turns out.

Have a great weekend!

Todd

The technician told me that the drainage was working properly and they deoderized the system. He also mentioned that there was a minor power steering fluid leak. Since the reservoir seems close to AC intake vent and system, I am wondering if this could have been the cause for the smell.. getting the car back today and hopefully no more smell!

The technician told me that the drainage was working properly and they deoderized the system. He also mentioned that there was a minor power steering fluid leak. Since the reservoir seems close to AC intake vent and system, I am wondering if this could have been the cause for the smell.. getting the car back today and hopefully no more smell!

Good to hear! Be sure to let me know everything is okay.

Todd

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is beginning to smell too. Its a 2011 Ford Edge SEL with 64th k miles. I noticed it again to smell when I use the wiper just for like 20 seconds to give it a good windshield wash.so I'm suspecting maybe the drains are clogged on mine I gotta look for them does anyone know where they are located. But all I've gotten the smell to go away with Lysol in the intake vents in front of the windshield on other cars. but yesterday I did go ahead and take out the cabin filter which was very easy to remove, and it was a little dirty but not smelly but I still cleaned it. So it's definitely mildew growing in the coils and it's hard to get to it so pray some Lysol or anything just instructed into the intake vents outside the windshield area