DDM Tuning HID Kit (2012 Sport) - Looking for feedback of Cons

So, based on some discussions throughout here i saw a numbmer of poeople running DDM Tuning HID setup because of cost savings over that other "M-something-rather".

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

$60 vs $150 certainly makes sense to me. Online you can find HID setups for hundreds more than that, but it doesn't mean they are that much better. Here is what I'm interested in:

1. I know a bunch of people said they have been running DDM without issues for at least a couple of years. But, I also saw owners say they have had issues with DDM without getting into specifics. I would like to hear what those issues are with DDM. Pros: cost and reliability (?). Cons: ?

2. Can someone clarify again please the low vs high-beam with these? The kit does not specify that it is low and high beam. Does that mean the way the Edge lights are built, the switch uses the same bulb but angles it higher for high beams? This is porbably a dumb question, but I just don't get it even after seeing a post on here about some magnetic swtich or something like that.

If I was starting fresh, I would order two DDM kits for 80 bucks. It would be really easy to replace a bad bulb or ballast with your spares and then have DDM warranty the bad part. In my case, it was not fun putting the halogens back in and having to drive around the last month without Hids waiting for a new DDM kit. I had a ballast go bad after about 18 months. Been really happy with the output of the 9006 35/5000 kit.

If I was starting fresh, I would order two DDM kits for 80 bucks. It would be really easy to replace a bad bulb or ballast with your spares and then have DDM warranty the bad part. In my case, it was not fun putting the halogens back in and having to drive around the last month without Hids waiting for a new DDM kit. I had a ballast go bad after about 18 months. Been really happy with the output of the 9006 35/5000 kit.

so bad ballasts potentially... what about the high beams? it uses same bulb as low beams? i guess i just can't register how it would not need a separate bulb for that.

Headlamp assembly has a shield that moves...so high and low are the same bulb. If you listen you can hear it actuate.

Ah, got it. i can only imagine what that would cost to fix if out of warranty... Which then brings up a follow-up question: since the waterproff cap covers have toget drilled for the install, and HIDs are no longer OEM parts, can Ford say they will not cover surrounding and affiliated components under warranty (not the bulb/ballast onbviously, but other pieces) because of excessive heat/electrical load/etc.?

Edited by carsick30

I've used both the DDM and TRS Kit (I've used DDM for well over 15 years in a half dozen different cars, ever since they were Apexcone). I've had some crap DDM kits and some that were bulletproof. Having said that, I would completely recommend the TRS kit over DDM any day (there service alone is worth the extra $$).

I noticed you were in Montgomery county. I am in Malvern 4 - 5 times per month (and will be next week). I'd be glad to show you my HID setup.

Ah, got it. i can only imagine what that would cost to fix if out of warranty... Which then brings up a follow-up question: since the waterproff cap covers have toget drilled for the install, and HIDs are no longer OEM parts, can Ford say they will not cover surrounding and affiliated components under warranty (not the bulb/ballast onbviously, but other pieces) because of excessive heat/electrical load/etc.?

They can but I don't think I have ever heard of those shutters failing let alone under the 36k coverage. So I wouldn't be too concerned.

Are DDM Error Eliminators really needed on a 2011+ Edge? Anyone run without them and not gotten code flashing on dash?

They are not needed on your Edge. If you're interested in learning more about Hids, Hidplanet forums is a good place to spend some time. TRS (Morimoto) owns the website but they talk about all the brands including DDM. Lots of Internet cops on there that frown on putting Hids in halogen projectors but they really do work well in the Edge projectors.

They are not needed on your Edge. If you're interested in learning more about Hids, Hidplanet forums is a good place to spend some time. TRS (Morimoto) owns the website but they talk about all the brands including DDM. Lots of Internet cops on there that frown on putting Hids in halogen projectors but they really do work well in the Edge projectors.

i figured as much. i saw posts that for morimotos you should get canbus harness, which is their version of DDM Error Eliminators i think. So, i assumed you have to have that with all kits. i agree that there is no problem with putting HID into halogen projectors as long as the kit is not complete garbage. I've done it as far back as I remember on all cars I've had without melting anything or killing oncoming innocent drivers by blinding them.

I have DDM 55w kits in all my vehicles and toys and have never had a problem with them other than 1 ballast going bad.. HOWEVER, DDM exchanged the ballast free of charge and I've yet to have another problem since in 3ish years that I've ran them. DDM Tuning offers a lifetime warranty if I'm not mistaking. I will continue to buy from DDM Tuning..

The ONLY downside is depending where you're located, it can take up to 2 weeks for delivery since they generally come from China if your not lucky enough to get a kit outta their California office. We have the 4500k 9006 55w kit on our Edge Sport. Lighting is crystal white, excellent lighting and the wife LOVES them. Check my pictures for examples.

I have DDM 55w kits in all my vehicles and toys and have never had a problem with them other than 1 ballast going bad.. HOWEVER, DDM exchanged the ballast free of charge and I've yet to have another problem since in 3ish years that I've ran them. DDM Tuning offers a lifetime warranty if I'm not mistaking. I will continue to buy from DDM Tuning..

The ONLY downside is depending where you're located, it can take up to 2 weeks for delivery since they generally come from China if your not lucky enough to get a kit outta their California office. We have the 4500k 9006 55w kit on our Edge Sport. Lighting is crystal white, excellent lighting and the wife LOVES them. Check my pictures for examples.

looks good. so, +1 vote for having a backup ballast handy. i'm assuming you didn't have to use their Error Eliminators either with your setup?

• 2 weeks later...

looks good. so, +1 vote for having a backup ballast handy. i'm assuming you didn't have to use their Error Eliminators either with your setup?

No eliminator... Just need the 9006 and its a plug and play setup. Buying two kits isn't a bad idea actually since their quite a bit cheaper than the other kits out there. Thats what I did "should" I ever have a bulb or ballast ever go out.

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered and installed 6,000/55w kit. Wow, the difference is so drastic over OEM I might actually be able to see through solid objects with these. Surprisingly not getting high-beamed by oncoming traffic unless they are partially incapacitated by the insane brightness and become too disoriented to reach for the high beams. The problem I have is that the ballasts do not fit into the spaces designed for the OEM ballasts. I guess that's what you would expect from aftermarket, but just too bad.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Ordered a 55w kit from DDM.. Still having a problem with the harness. Damn relay keeps buzzing when ever the lights are on. Put the lights in several days ago and havent used the Edge untill i find out what the issue is. DDM says check to see if you have DRL's. My Edge does not. Still at a loss..Emailed them with a new set of questions, Lets see what goes on. So i guess my only complaint is the buzzing relay...

Hi. Ordered a 55w kit from DDM.. Still having a problem with the harness. Damn relay keeps buzzing when ever the lights are on. Put the lights in several days ago and havent used the Edge untill i find out what the issue is. DDM says check to see if you have DRL's. My Edge does not. Still at a loss..Emailed them with a new set of questions, Lets see what goes on. So i guess my only complaint is the buzzing relay...

The relays are common enough at auto parts stores for about $20. You shouldn't have to spend the money on it but if you want to rule it out....