wife totalled our 2013 limited.... shopping for a sport

evilution

Long story short Dec 13 we purchased a 2013 fully loaded awd limited. Last week it was in a frontal collision resulting in $20k in damage so the insurance totalled it.

My wife now wants another edge but this time wants a sport. We are trying to negotiate on a 2013 as they are the same as the 2014 and have better rebates right now.

Sticker is 43810 minus 3000 rebate minus 750 private cash minus 500 military. Additionally the dealer is willing to 2600 off sticker. Total comes out to 36960 plus ttl.

My issue is that this vehicle is already over one year old and it's soon to be the old model. I feel the discount for what will soon be a two year old and outdated vehicle should be higher. Thoughts?

I'm half tempted to forgo the 3000 buy rebate and simply leverage a 36k mile lease. That would sort of protect me from the atrocious depreciation that I am expecting to encounter when the new edge is released. I would wait to purchase but my wife wants new and wants it now.

Most depreciation happens just by driving it off the lot - the difference between new and used. Differences in model years (unless there are major redesigns or significant differences in options) are actually quite minimal. Once it becomes a used car, the difference in value between two otherwise identical vehicles is based on mileage and condition with model year being an almost insignificant factor.

For example, if you compare a 2013 Edge Sport with 6,000 miles to a 2012 Edge Sport with the same equipment and same 6,000 miles, the difference in private sale value is only $330 ($31,354 vs. $31,024 according to Kelly Blue Book). Part of the reason is that the mileage is unusually low on the older vehicle. The same would happen when you buy a new but prior model year vehicle - you lose a couple of hundred dollars for the model year but you have a vehicle that will always have one year's worth lower mileage. That really becomes significant a few years down the road when your 5-year-old vehicle has only 48,000 miles while everybody else is selling the same model year with 60,000 miles.

So buying the '13 and getting the $3,000 rebate instead of the $1,500 rebate on the '14 still saves you about $1,200 even when you factor in the extra $300 depreciation for the older model. And depending on how long you keep it, the value could be better later on.

Oh, and a lease does not protect you from depreciation - the depreciation is calculated into the lease in the agreed upon residual value. It is not generally a financially sound decision to lease a vehicle unless you keep vehicles only for a relatively short time or you have business tax advantages to leasing.

Edited by TheWizard

Thanks for the info. Wife is banged up from air bag and such but hopefully she will fully recover.

MSRP on our limited was 43000 (we obviously paid less) and 14 months 15k miles later insurance is saying it's market value is 31000 which seems reasonable.

Sounds like a 2013 is the hot ticket even though it will be two years old come June. There's still a part of me that wants to lease. If Ford shows a high residual value on the vehicle and I negotiate a great deal I may be able get out of the vehicle if I want to or if not buy it at the end of the lease. The only risk is whether or not rebates will be better or worse. That and if necessary financing could be different as well.

First... it's hard to find a 2014 near by. But let's say a dealer had both on the lot the invoice prices are nearly identical. I normally shoot for 200 to 500 under invoice and get that pretty easily. The difference in price seems to be rebates or financing alone.

2013 = 2500 if paying cash or 1500 w/60m@ 0%

2014 = 1000 if paying cash or 500 w/60m@ 1.9%

So between 1000 and 1500 more for a 2014.

As per the 2014 order guide, only color changes. Even without any changes, 1000-1500 USD is something I would gladly pay to get a 2014 over a 2013 if all other things are equal.

You can download a copy of the order guide from here:

http://www.fordinsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?9291-OrderGuides-F-L-2014my&p=116546&viewfull=1#post116546

Edited by omar302

Looks like financing options for 2013s just got a bit better!!!

$2000 plus 0% for 60 months -OR- $3500 cash back

.... there also seems to be some kind of free maintenance plan going on as well so it looks like a 2013 is the route I'm going to go.

This is on top of our negotiated discount $2600, private cash $750 and a $500 military discount. I think $7350 off of sticker is a pretty decent deal for a brand new truck!

29enh52.jpg

We ended up buying another AWD Limit (301a) last night.

Drove the sport and limited back to back and just found the feel of the limited was leaps and bounds better than the sport. Sport ride was not well dampened. The steering was heavy and of the two we drove it was louder and slower. The sport headlights were complete crap when compared to the factory HIDs and the 22" tires had significantly less grip in fresh snow. Honestly the only thing the sport offered over the limited was looks.

We negotiated $3000 off sticker on a white 2013. Took the $2000 rebate and 0% for 60 months along with $500 military and $750 private cash. After TTL the edge still cost us $39000.

We ended up buying another AWD Limit (301a) last night.

Drove the sport and limited back to back and just found the feel of the limited was leaps and bounds better than the sport. Sport ride was not well dampened. The steering was heavy and of the two we drove it was louder and slower. The sport headlights were complete crap when compared to the factory HIDs and the 22" tires had significantly less grip in fresh snow. Honestly the only thing the sport offered over the limited was looks.

We negotiated $3000 off sticker on a white 2013. Took the $2000 rebate and 0% for 60 months along with $500 military and $750 private cash. After TTL the edge still cost us $39000.

Congrats... I went through the same thing... I really wanted a Sport, but after driving both, went for the Limited instead. Ride differences between the 20s & 22s were negligible to me... (but the tire cost wasn't) as was the power difference between the 3.5L & 3.7L engines. ... and there were a few options on the Limited that weren't available on the Sport. ... and the dealer said he could get me a slightly better deal on the Limited vs. the Sport. I went through CostCo's buying program... so, with no negotiating, I got my Ruby Red '13 Limited w/ pkg 302a & 20" wheels for $400 below invoice, plus the current rebates & incentives. Very easy, low-stress process. Could maybe (probably) do better, but have become so frustrated with the buying process- I just don't have the desire to haggle for hours & hours any more. But you're right... I DO like the HIDs... even tho the cutoff is a bit sharp for my tastes. The BLIS is nice... the adaptive cruise is interesting (tho seldom-used in L.A.)... the collision avoidance system scares the crap out of me at inopportune moments... and the cross-traffic alert works a little too well sometimes. But it's a beautiful machine... comfortable... quiet... and loads of gadgets to entertain/amuse me.

Thanks everyone for all the advice and feedback.

Slick... I love the red but the wife wanted white. Sounds like you got the same deal as me as 600 below is a fantastic price.

I only hope this one is as reliable as the last one.

LOL... that's too funny... had I BOUGHT my Edge, I would've gone white platinum, as it would better hide stone chips & such... but since I leased, I decided to go for the red. I get comments all the time on how gorgeous the color is.