Transmission question and service bulletin

Hello,

I bought a 2009 Edge SEL 4WD with 52 K last month.

I like it and I am happy.

However, yesterday I was driving in the city at a very slow speed and I heard a sound that sounded like I hit something in the road and something was dragging, like a piece of garbage. I pulled over and expected to see my muffler hanging down, but it was fine. I started driving again and the same thing happened.

I took it into a mechanic. They checked it out and said everything was fine. They also told me about a service bulletin relating to my transmission that might apply to my vehicle. I read the service bulletin and it does not sound exactly like my issue. I did not hear a loud thump like the service bulletin describes.

I do not have a warranty so I'm concerned. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

If anyone has any thoughts, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

I heard a sound that sounded like I hit something in the road

I did not hear a loud thump like the service bulletin describes.

I do not have a warranty so I'm concerned.

What you described sounds like a thump just like the TSB describes. It's certainly close enough.

But you do have a warranty - the powertrain (which includes the transmission) has a 5 yr/60K mile warranty.

Get it to the dealer asap and let them figure out if the TSB applies or not.

• Like 1

Thank you so much akirby. I had no idea it was under warranty. (Shame on me) I am extremely relieved!!

Any ideas on how the dealerships are reacting to this TSB? Any tips for dealing with them. My local dealership has a terrible reputation as being terrible to work with. I bought the car at an out of town dealership.

I have a 2011 Edge SEL and my dealer has it as we speak for this issue. They are busy this time of year and they have had my car for 2.5 days. My thump is doing exactly as the TSB describes and my service guy is keeping me updated. Hope to get it back today or tomorrow. Been enjoying a convertible Mustang for a loaner while they've had it which has been a hoot.

Missing my Edge though.

Peace,

DM

I am sure Todd from Ford Customer Service will chime in when he sees your post, and can point you to a dealership you will be happy with. As far as warranty coverage, not to throw cold water on this issue, but that depends on the date of original purchase, also known as in-service date. If you grab the VIN, you can lookup any outstanding service bulletins etc. here:

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

I am sure Todd (or a dealer or anyone with access to OASIS or Carfax/AutoCheck) can find the in-service date for you.

Oops - I was off by a year in my calculations on warranty. It is possible that 2009 was in service prior to March 2009 and if so the powertrain 5 yr warranty would not apply, although it never hurts to ask if the TSB applies. Sometimes Ford and/or the dealer will help out.

Thank you.

I've been thinking about warranty details too. My Edge is still at the mechanics until I can get a ride to pick it up. I will look up the in service date and the VIN then.

If my memory serves me correctly it was originally purchased in the summer of 09. I am keeping my fingers crossed that that will be the case.

However, yesterday I was driving in the city at a very slow speed and I heard a sound that sounded like I hit something in the road and something was dragging, like a piece of garbage. I pulled over and expected to see my muffler hanging down, but it was fine. I started driving again and the same thing happened.

Hey Sandysage,

I recommend scheduling an appointment with your local Ford Dealer. Once you do so, let me know and I'll look into available options on my end. :)

I have a 2011 Edge SEL and my dealer has it as we speak for this issue. They are busy this time of year and they have had my car for 2.5 days. My thump is doing exactly as the TSB describes and my service guy is keeping me updated. Hope to get it back today or tomorrow. Been enjoying a convertible Mustang for a loaner while they've had it which has been a hoot.

Glad your dealer is taking care of you, Davom97. Let me know if you need anything.

Todd

Thanks Ford Service.

I will schedule an appointment and have them take a look at it.

How do I contact you once I do that? Through here or do you have a more direct way to contact you?

Thanks.

You're welcome, Sandysage. Once you make an an appointment, shoot me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealership/time; I'll connect you with your regional customer service manager.

Todd

Glad your dealer is taking care of you, Davom97. Let me know if you need anything.

Well, it took a week, but I got it back today. Thankfully they gave me a loaner that whole time.

Here's what the work invoice says they did on this particular issue:

Check for loud bang under car on re-acceleration from a coast speed

CC 42 Failed 7A100 TSB 11-5-6 OM23507

Road test & verify harsh bump on take off

Found and performed TBS 11-5-6, R&R valve body

Remove stated check ball and replace seperatar plate

Reflash PCM/TCM

Perform post road test concern corrected

Also under "Parts," they list the plate & gasket (BT4Z-7Z490-B ) and the oil (XT-10-QLVC).

My service guy told me to be patient with the transmission because it may not feel exactly right for the first few days because the system is relearning the way I drive. On the way home from the dealership, it ran well and smooth.

I'm good for now.

Peace,

DM

Edited by Davom97
  • Like 1

I'm good for now.

Peace,

DM

Hey Davom97,

If you're good, I'm good. Always here if you need me.

Hi Todd,

I just resent you my information via PM. Can you please confirm once you get it?

Thanks!

I did receive your message, Sandysage, and responded. Check your inbox.

Todd

Well, I thought I was good. ;)

The transmission is shifting smoothly and the accelerator seems more responsive than before. No hard thump yet. What concerned me on the way home was when I hit the Sync button, I got nothing. No chime, no lady & no response to commands.

I rebooted the MFT system and all is working well.

Peace,

DM

I assume this was a Ford dealership, and they were referring to the PTU. Did they find metal particles in the PTU fluid (not transmission fluid) that indicated PTU (Power TakeOff Unit or Power Transfer Unit) failure? The PTU is a known "weak" point in the AWD powertrain, as the fluid can get overheated and thus lose its' lubrication qualities. If the sound was coming from the rear, it would be the RDU (Rear Differential Unit) that is being referred to. Same issue, but much less likely in general.

Normally, getting a used part from the junkyard would be OK, but with these, new is preferable. These things ARE expensive, though you can get the part cheaper through online shopping such as Levittown Ford SuperCenter (supporting vendor on here), or EBay/Tasca Auto Parts. Maybe you can even leverage that price with your local servicing dealership.

Thanks for the information.

Yes, the mechanic said it is the transfer case or PTU and he is a Ford mechanic. He said it was this issue after driving it and hearing the sound coming from the front end of the car. I was with him when we went for a drive so we confirmed we are talking about the same noise. He is going look into it more closely today, but I am not sure what he is going to do.

I would be more than happy to try to get a part elsewhere, but would a Ford dealership put it in? Would I have to take it to another mechanic?

Thanks for your guidance. I've had a number of cars in my lifetime, and none of them have given me this level of problems this early on.

I checked, I've only owned this car for 2.1 months!!

Levittown is a Ford dealer, so is Tasca. I was referring to OEM parts only. Use the pricing you get from these two to leverage a better parts price at the servicing dealership. About $610 shipped for 2007-2013 models from Levittown. About $650 shipped from Tasca on EBay.

Part of the problem buying used is the chance you take with the service history, sadly, so you build that into the negotiated price. But yeah, it s***s to have problems so early on into the ownership cycle :( From my readings on this forum, the other 3 things to keep an eye out for are 1) axle seal leaks, 2) throttle body failure, and 3) door latch/door ajar warnings. Hopefully with PTU replacement, the possibility of #1 will also be taken care of for a while. Not meant to scare, but to inform.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W