Need Comments for my Ford Edge 08 if it should be Totaled

arielc

Last week I had a collision accidedent with a taxi. He hit my Edge at the Front Left end. I've been waiting for my insurance assessment if its totalled or repairable. By looking at the images, do you guys think it's still repairable?

post-19714-0-64647600-1395339894_thumb.jpg

post-19714-0-63701100-1395339901_thumb.jpg

post-19714-0-96526900-1395339907_thumb.jpg

Edited by arielc

arielc,

First off I sure hope no one got injured!!

I agree the car won't be completely correct if it is repaired. Best to get it totaled. You will most likely have to argue about how much $$$$ you will get for it. Insurance companies don't like to pay.

Good luck

Larry

Northern,In.

Luckily I didn't get injured. But I now have to visit the chiropractor everyday for my mild back pain. Yup, I'm expecting that if it's totaled then the insuranec wont pay me what its really worth but luckily I have signed for a secondary issurance which only activates when it's a total loss.

I've had 2 vehicles totalled in the last 2.5 years. The first was my daughter's 6 month old 2012 Focus when she didn't see the cars ahead of her stopping and rear ended another car. Geico paid me full retail value of a brand new one less 6 months depreciation. The second one was my older son's 2005 Focus that I had just signed over to him. It was 7 yrs old and we only paid $16K new. He fishtailed on a wet onramp and hit the side barrier. Geico wrote him a check for $8K! I was shocked.

Of course YMMV depending on your insurance company.

Put a fork in it.

Sorry for your loss and trouble. Hopefully your back pain will subside. The taxi company's insurance will need to cough up the cash for your car in this case. Not sure if Canada is no-fault. Parts of the US are. Usually a car is totaled if the repair costs exceed 80% of the market value of the car.

Good luck.

......Parts of the US are. Usually a car is totaled if the repair costs exceed 80% of the market value of the car.

Good luck.

NYS is a "no-fault" state, but even when a traffic ticket is involved thereby assigning "fault" an insurance company will still try to get you to cough up something...true story; My 2006 Fusion was hit on the passenger front side and fender by a teen backing out of his driveway with mommy's Honda. Snowbanks on either side of the driveway and 10:30PM equals, I did not see him until his car was into my fender. His insurance attempted to claim that NYS allows them to assign "comparative blame" even though the kid got a ticket for unsafe backing onto a roadway. They assessed my portion at 10% blame...I refused to accept thier "summary judgement" and took them to court.....I won and they (Mommy's Honda insurance company) paid ALL damages plus a car rental, AND all court costs.

Edited by twintornados

It's not that bad I've fixed worst I have been working at a high end bodyshop for 15 years it all depends on the value of the car and the insurance. Some cars total at 70% some at 90% it all depends on the insurance company it's a numbers game. Just because airbag deploy doesn't mean anything.

Sorry it got totaled, but you're probably better off-it probably wouldn't be the same. I Hope that you get some decent bucks for it. Careful with the back. I've done chiropractic for MANY years ( 20+ ), and has helped in most instances, EXCEPT for the last time. Had daily pain, kept on going for adjustments, and never got better. Went to a orthopedic doctor, had a MRI, and just a week ago, I was operated for herniated & bulging discs. Thank god I had it checked out, I could have been going, and going for chiropractic adjustments, and have gotten nowhere. Don't mess with the back & spine, it's the central nervous system in there. I wound up going to a neurosurgeon, he did wonders. :worship:

The big problem with chiropractic adjustments is that they don't treat the underlying cause so you have to keep going back. Physical therapy consisting of stretching and strengthening so the problem doesn't reoccur or doesn't reoccur as frequently.

I have a herniated disc in my neck - not bad enough for surgery. My first ortho didn't think I needed any PT so I suffered for 3 months until I accidentally stretched my arm one day and it felt better. Next time it flared up my family doc sent me straight to PT and I was better in 2 weeks. Now when it starts acting up I know how to treat it with stretching. And if there is something serious they'll spot it like Joe pointed out.

Akirby - Glad a stretch helped you out. Actually, the surgery wasn't that bad, had the staples removed today, 10 days after surgery. Now, I have to take things a bit slow for a while, and no heavy lifting. I'm glad that P/T worked for you. I tried chiropractic, P/T, acupuncture, and message therapy, finally had the MRI, and now it's all history. I just want tom point out to arielc that back issues are not to be taken lightly.

Edited by JOEHIO