2011 Edge Sport - Towing 2500#

Hi guys, I'm new to the site and I am a new owner to a 2011 Edge Sport. I have researched and found out that the towing capacity is rated at 2000 pounds. I want to buy a 17-18ft boat, the first few that I have looked at weigh around 2300-2500 pounds, plus trailer, gas, battery and cargo weight. Would this be stupid to try to tow or would it be within the "limits"?

I know the books say 2000 pounds maximum, but they build in a safety factor. I live in the midwest (not the mountains) and every tow would be around 50 miles. Braking distance is a problem, but defensive driving can reduce that.

Overall, the towing weight would be around 3300 (fully loaded with boat, trailer, fuel, battery, cargo).

Has anyone tried towing beyond the rated capacities of their edge? (sport edition or not)

Do the 22" wheels factor in to the towing capacity??

Thanks all

Do the 22" wheels factor in to the towing capacity??

It looks like the 22" wheels are the main factor in the reduced sport Towing Capacity.

(a) Tow rating reduced to 2,000 lbs. when ordered with 22” wheels and tires.

It's interesting because the OEM 22s actually have a higher load rating than the OEM 20s (2039lbs. vs. 1874lbs.).

If I had to guess I'd say the shorter sidewall on the 22s puts you at greater risk for wheel damage when hitting bumps or potholes with a loaded trailer.

Edited by Laminar

Hi guys, I'm new to the site and I am a new owner to a 2011 Edge Sport. I have researched and found out that the towing capacity is rated at 2000 pounds. I want to buy a 17-18ft boat, the first few that I have looked at weigh around 2300-2500 pounds, plus trailer, gas, battery and cargo weight. Would this be stupid to try to tow or would it be within the "limits"?

I know the books say 2000 pounds maximum, but they build in a safety factor. I live in the midwest (not the mountains) and every tow would be around 50 miles. Braking distance is a problem, but defensive driving can reduce that.

Overall, the towing weight would be around 3300 (fully loaded with boat, trailer, fuel, battery, cargo).

Has anyone tried towing beyond the rated capacities of their edge? (sport edition or not)

Hello bgwilliams14,

Welcome to the forum. B)

Check out pgs. 231-235 of the 3rd printing of your owner's manual here for towing capacity information.

Todd

Edited by FordService

• 4 months later...