Can you lock your car while engine is on?

People with the Smart access.

Can you lock your car with engine on?

Arrive at destination, I get out without shutting the car off.

Tap the door, and it locks.

I know other manufacturers won't let that happen or horn beeps to let you know that the car is still on?

Is this normal?

My fusion with IA honks twice if you leave the engine running and leave the vehicle with the key fob. It's to prevent you from accidentally walking away with the key. If you leave the door open, leave the key in the vehicle or turn the engine off it doesn't honk.

Which car honks twice?

Why do you constantly leave the engine on and lock the doors?

My MKX does. I drive so infrequently that I will leave it running if I have to pop into a store for a few minutes. LCBO for example. I get out and press the two right buttons on the outside keypad. Only need to do it in the colder months.

If I don't, I run the risk of getting the message on the screen - something about battery saver being active.

I don't know if it's because mine is 2012, but doesn't warn me at all and I don't need to use the number buttons to lock it.

Can I ask you what kind of mileage you get with your MKX?

See that we both live in ONtario, the number should be similar.

I can't get any lower than 14L/100km.. I was cautiously driving today. Sunday afternoon driving in Vaughan 12C outside.

Ya I do have the intelligent access with push button start.

I am asking if you car let you know if your engine is still running when you leave your vehicle.

My MKX let you lock the door the way you normally lock the door by tapping the sensor on the door handle even if you have not shut the engine off.

And it doesn't honk when you walk away from the vehicle when the engine is on. Though "Key Not Found" message would show up on the dash.

Ya I do have the intelligent access with push button start.

I am asking if you car let you know if your engine is still running when you leave your vehicle.

My MKX let you lock the door the way you normally lock the door by tapping the sensor on the door handle even if you have not shut the engine off.

And it doesn't honk when you walk away from the vehicle when the engine is on. Though "Key Not Found" message would show up on the dash.

I think that changed in the new models starting with the 2013s. In the new models (including Fusion/MKZ) if you remove the fob from the vehicle with the engine running and shut the door it will honk twice to let you know the vehicle is still running with no keyfob. You can stop the honk by leaving the door open, leaving the fob in the vehicle or turning off the engine. If you leave the fob in the vehicle you must use the keypad to lock it and that disables the fob until it's unlocked with the keypad or another fob.

The honk when leaving running while taking the keys out and closing a door is a "feature" that was rolled into all Ford/Lincolns with IA systems over the 2012-2014 model years. Each vehicle picked it up at a slightly different time, some mid-year, some at the beginning of a year and some waited until a refresh came along.

But it has nothing to do with the ability to lock the car while running, that hasn't changed.

Can I ask you what kind of mileage you get with your MKX?

See that we both live in ONtario, the number should be similar.

I can't get any lower than 14L/100km.. I was cautiously driving today. Sunday afternoon driving in Vaughan 12C outside.

Lifetime average 11.1. Last summer i was getting as good as 10.8 average over a long period of time. Never got better than 11.0 on my Edge at 13,000 km. Only have 4,600 km on my MKX though so it's bound to improve over time. I'm in east-central Ontario though (near Kingston) so driving conditions are probably totally different than what you would experience in Vaughan.

I definitely drive in a fuel efficient manner... anticipating what's going on far ahead and adjusting accordingly. Easy on the gas, easy on the brakes. Never had my foot to the floor, but I do enjoy the power. It's so smooth, quiet and powerful I find myself at 130 just merging onto the highway.

Edit... Oh, and FWIW I decided to order mine with the 18" polished wheels. Same size as my Edge. I prefer the look of the 20s, but I learned in the past to choose function over form. Ride quality is of paramount importance to me. Not sure how wheel size relates to fuel economy though.

Edited by Limited59

I know other manufacturers won't let that happen or horn beeps to let you know that the car is still on?

Is this normal?

Hey ELation,

I recommend speaking with the service manager at your dealership to get a detailed answer. In addition, your may contact the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Center at 1-800-565-3673.

Todd