These Headrest Must Go

jamers1

OK, I can't find any real differences between the '07 and '08 model headrests. The '08 still tilts forward and are nearly 3 stories tall. I remember reading where one poster swapped them out for his Ford Escape headrests which were a perfect match in color and post width. When I take delivery on Friday, I plan to yank a headrest out of a 2008 Escape from the lot to see if it will match the charcoal black leather in my '08 Edge. Assuming it fits and matches, my next task will be to find out how much a set of headrests will cost me. Also where to buy them. I will probably glance at the headrest in the Taurus, Taurus X, Explorer, etc. I believe all will have the same post width and matching leather color.

Any suggestions on where to buy some replacement headrests and how much they might cost?

By the way, although they are much smaller in size, the rear seat headrest tilt forward as well. Assuming you want to recline the seat back a bit and rest your head back, you can't really do it comfortably.

The only reason I can figure out people must be complaining about the headrest's, must be because they sit with the seat so far upright. Notice how it bothers some and not others? I have the seat all the way back/down, and steering column all the way in/up. When I look to my left, I'm looking at the B pillar.

Don't blame Ford, blame the Fed. Gov. Those headrest's were upgraded by them, to protect 5 more lives per year. That center headrest in the rear isn't actually mandated yet, but it's been installed in some vehicles since '05 I think.

I hated when they had to put in a Third high mounted brake light, first in cars, then truck's. By law 06/07 this year I have to start wearing a seat belt. I'm am soooooooo glad someone is looking out for me, I thought that was my Guardian Angel's job.

Jamers1....i went and pulled my front hearests out the 2nd day i had my edge...i could not take it. I went and purchased headrest with dvd players in them. The material was an exact match(charcoal leather and i gained 2 dvd players. I will post a pic in the next thread. Dvd headrests from xovision.com...$150.00 for the pair and i had them hooked up in 1 hr. simple wiring

Headrest Update. Well I tried the the Fusion headrest which was the right color and stitching but the posts were too wide. I tried the Taurus and Taurus X which also had the right color and stitching but the post were too thick in diameter (although the width was just right). The Escape was my last hope. I never got to the point of checking the posts width or diameter because it didn't have the white stitching. This is starting to sound like the Golden Locks and the 3 Little Bears Story right? :-)

My next step is to investigate bending the posts about 5-1 degrees on the Edge's existing headrests. I'll let you know how that turns out.

Well I had a chance to monkey around with the existing headrests. It appears the leather is stitched and glued permanently to the foam so there is no getting accessing to the top of the posts. The posts themselves appear to be aluminum so I was able to bend them maybe 5 degrees. I really wanted to go about 15 degrees but after staining like hell to get 5 I just settled for now. I had to remove the headrest and place it on the floor. I used my knee to put all my weight on it while pulling up on the post with my hand. I even had to have my wife push down on my baclk to give me extra force down and leverae. I nearly gve myself a hernia. Once reinstalled in my Edge I noticed minor improvement so I will likely try to bend them some more eventtually.

Did you try turning them around backwards? Several people have done this and been very satisfied.

I don't like the look of that. Plus having the headrest tilt back kind of defeats the purpose of proper whiplash protection. If I could simply get the headrest to be more inline with the seat then I'd be happy.

Edited by jamers1

I don't like the look of that. Plus having the headrest tilt back kind of defeats the purpose of proper whiplash protection. If I could simply get the headrest to be more inline with the seat then I'd be happy.

I am 6'2" and my wife is 5'6" and for us these our the best headrest we have ever used in an auto. Most are too far back for me, I wouldn't change them one iota. That not to say that they would be perfect for everyone. Because all people are different, Ford should include some tilt adjustment in the next iteration. My audi has that adjustment in the head rest.

I do agree it's a personal thing but the reality is that we're all not use to FUNCTIONAL headrests! 99% of the headrests in vehicles have little safety value to them sitting back 6-8 inches from the back of our heads. Sure, we use them on a long drive when we start to get tired and lean back on them right? These in the Edge, come right up to the back of the head and although we're not use to that, there's a purpose to it and in the event of an impact, they could actually save lives. Wadda concept!

A little adjustability on them would have been a great insight due to the varying sizes of people that own cars but I would suggest to not allow a significant amount of adjustment and subsiquently loosing the safety aspect.

At 6'1, I love it although I didn't for the first couple of weeks.

Steve

Edited by blu by u

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I believe I was the poster that Jammers mentioned that I used my old Escape (2005) head rests in place of the Edge ones. I had to return that vehicle along with the head rests so I went to a local OEM manufacturer here in Vancouver and they "modified" them for me.

I have a tall torso and I pretty much use the same seating position that I use in my race car and the stock head rest was forcing my neck forward so bad that I almost wanted to give the Edge back to Ford. What pissed me off a little was that I test drove an SEL+ with the old, smaller headrest, which was perfect. I even tried to order a set from Ford but after they got that 5-star crash rating they would no longer supply them.

A nice feature would be an adjustable rake head rest so that we can all fit naturally.

My $0.02 worth.

• 2 months later...
Don't blame Ford, blame the Fed. Gov. Those headrest's were upgraded by them, to protect 5 more lives per year. That center headrest in the rear isn't actually mandated yet, but it's been installed in some vehicles since '05 I think.

I hated when they had to put in a Third high mounted brake light, first in cars, then truck's. By law 06/07 this year I have to start wearing a seat belt. I'm am soooooooo glad someone is looking out for me, I thought that was my Guardian Angel's job.

hmm just mandated seat belts? welcome to the 20th century! :)

I thought everywhere had that law... though people were just complaining about it here b/c they had a crackdown starting today on speeders, seat belts, and illegal lane changers on my route to work here.

all this headrest talk is kind of funny. I understand the complaint, but it has never seriously bothered me or even stuck out much, not even during a test drive. I always ride with the seatback tilted a couple of notches but nothing much. like the other guy said, I like the safety element too. I'd rather be safe and have a properly aligned headrest than a serious neck injury and lean my head back all the time. it doesnt seem to shove my head forward at all