Installed Factory/Thule roof rack on a vista BAMR

I looked around for quite a while for researching my options for roof rack needs on my 2011 Edge with vista roof. Hopefully this post will help out others that wish to do the same. Obviously there are the clamp on racks that attach to the door frames, those are always an option. There are the aftermarket installed rails that get riveted onto the roof. However I like the look of the Edge with the factory roof rails and pursued that route. Here are my findings and results:

1. The Ford factory roof rails WILL fit and is a very simple job to perform. Get the rails from your local dealer and follow the instructions, its a half hour job. No drilling required, you must use the provided self tapping screws to add 2 additional holes to what is already there from the factory, but drilling is not required. I believe these holes are already there at production and simply siliconed shut and painted over at assembly? It took very little pressure with a 1/4" ratchet to install the needed screws.

2. The Ford factory crossbars WILL NOT fit (unless you don't want to open your vista roof) So for the crossbars, I went with Thule Aeroblade edge 7503 crossbars. Besides the fact that I simply like how the aeroblades look the best, I also went with these because they have Thule's "T-track" mounting system. This system permits the accessories to be mounted entirely on top of the aeroblades as opposed to being clamped on and having hardware/knobs underneath the crossbar for the accessories. The 7503 crossbars permit full use of the vista roof with approx. 3/4" clearance at its closest point with the roof open. Just enough room to not worry about clearance issues yet not sit too high on the vehicle as to look awkward in my opinion.

3. From there you may select any Thule accessories that utilize the T track system or have an adapter kit to do so. Most accessories do have this ability. I selected a Hull-a-port pro folding kayak cradle and will be adding a snowboard carrier for next winter. I had intended on placing bicycles up there originally, but found the loading height to be a bit too high and awkward and foresaw an unfortunate expensive slip in the future. So I went with a hitch mount bike carrier instead.

Attached are pics along the way.

PS: Please patronize your local bike/ski shop, etc for the Thule purchases. Mine got me better prices than I could online and was very helpful along the process when I needed to experiment and return some pieces.

post-28511-0-05456300-1397245477_thumb.jpg

post-28511-0-53260900-1397245484_thumb.jpg

post-28511-0-69823400-1397245491_thumb.jpg

post-28511-0-05192500-1397245508_thumb.jpg

post-28511-0-85758800-1397245518_thumb.jpg

post-28511-0-85772800-1397245527_thumb.jpg

post-28511-0-58150700-1397245539_thumb.jpg

post-28511-0-68598800-1397245552_thumb.jpg

post-28511-0-35890500-1397245564_thumb.jpg

post-28511-0-77980400-1397245578_thumb.jpg

post-28511-0-10561700-1397245590_thumb.jpg

post-28511-0-21040700-1397245601_thumb.jpg

Edited by scguru92
  • Like 10

• 1 month later...

Yes, just start from the back and gently pry up and keep sliding your fingers forward. Those 3 white clips are what holds the rail cover in place. No special tools needed. I used a screwdriver and put a small knick in my paint. Don't do that, just use your fingers.

• Like 1

Start at the back of the tunnel strip and push in with both thumbs while pulling up with your finger tips to pop it free of the bracket. Once you get one end free the others are a little easier to get your fingers under, or you can just pull backward on the strip and it will slide off of the brackets.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, I missed the thread and just read it; nice job! I like the factory racks for a couple of reasons. I use the Thule's with feet in the door channel; no fan of the setup. I can't move the racks far enough apart to properly load an 18 foot sea kayak. I'd like the racks under the bulkheads for better support on the boat, but can only spread the racks to 36 inches. I believe the factory racks I can move out to around 40 inches; good! More secure attaching the Thule to factory rack; the feet wrap around the rack.

I just picked up a Thule Helium hitch mount bike rack to carry my road bike. I thought about adding a bike rack to my Thule crossbars, but long reach and trying to balance the bike in the rook rack while tightening down the supports looked scary. I can use the hitch mount rack to for holding the bike while cleaning and lubing the chain.

I hear the Thule Aero bars cut way down on rack noise. Next car, Aero bars versus square bars.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

No problem. With all the time and experimentation I did, I figured I would try and save someone else the same hassles. Since it was a very simple install once all was figured out.

No cutting of the original rail covers is needed. The roof rails that you get from the dealer already have ones included that are cut. You can save your originals and even return it to stock in the future if you like.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank god! I just got back from a visit to the dealership who claimed the OEM rails would not fit without drilling and dropping the headliner. But based on looking at the specs online via fordparts.com and the actual Edge roof (under the trim) I was 99% certain it would fit. I've been looking for a way to transport 2 kayaks and I was not a fan of the clamp on feet options that are available. I tried a number of different local retailers for alternatives, but couldn't come up with any. Looks like I'm going to head back to the dealership and order the OEM rails. Any idea on the Ford part number or are these just the rails from the Ford Edge of the same year? Also, I've found a couple of posts that suggest that this is 2 separate parts but that there's a "kit" that has both rails- but costs more then buying them individually. Would you be willing to share how much the rails cost you so I can decide if I've got the right parts, and if this is cost efficient over buying aftermarket rail clamps.

Thanks again! :love_shower:

Edited by Elizabeth Duvall

If I remember correctly, it was approx. $400 for the rails at the dealer. I don't have a record of the part # any longer (should have put it in my original post I guess?) But it is the same rails that go onto an edge of your same year that came with them from the factory. Nothing different about them. They came all in one box- both rails as well as the pre cut trim pieces and hardware. It is really a very easy install for anyone the least bit handy, no special tools needed.

I have had them installed for approx. 1.5 years with absolutely no issues. I carry kayaks and skis/snowboards on mine.

Thank god! I just got back from a visit to the dealership who claimed the OEM rails would not fit without drilling and dropping the headliner. But based on looking at the specs online via fordparts.com and the actual Edge roof (under the trim) I was 99% certain it would fit. I've been looking for a way to transport 2 kayaks and I was not a fan of the clamp on feet options that are available. I tried a number of different local retailers for alternatives, but couldn't come up with any. Looks like I'm going to head back to the dealership and order the OEM rails. Any idea on the Ford part number or are these just the rails from the Ford Edge of the same year? Also, I've found a couple of posts that suggest that this is 2 separate parts but that there's a "kit" that has both rails- but costs more then buying them individually. Would you be willing to share how much the rails cost you so I can decide if I've got the right parts, and if this is cost efficient over buying aftermarket rail clamps.

Thanks again! :love_shower:

Elizabeth,

Go to the following link in this forum and look for post #7 where I detailed the installation of the roof rails a few years ago. I listed the part numbers there. It should be the same for a 2014. My experience was that it was cheaper to order the entire kit including the cross bars that I don't use than it was to order the rails by piece part number.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/8592-oem-roof-rack-install/

Please consider posting a photo of your Edge with both Kayaks on top when you've got it all set up.

-Gimp

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, has anyone been able to do this on the 2015 Ford Edge with the Panoramic Sunroof ?

I explained the concept to my dealer. They tried ScGuru92's instructions but reported that there was no holes to screw into...

Any help from somoneone ?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Hi, has anyone been able to do this on the 2015 Ford Edge with the Panoramic Sunroof ?

I explained the concept to my dealer. They tried ScGuru92's instructions but reported that there was no holes to screw into...

Any help from somoneone ?

Thanks,

Jonathan

You can use an aftermarket option like the Yakima Q-Towers. I have them on my '15 Edge Sport that doesn't have the factory side rails (Naked Roof). See my posts at the links below to see what it looks like installed. I also give measurements you can use to ensure you'll have clearance.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/18057-towing-luggage-rack-questions/?hl=yakima&do=findComment&comment=131712

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/17572-first-impressions-of-new-edge/page-7?hl=yakima&do=findComment&comment=131563

• Like 1

And to add, if the '15 Edge didn't come from the factory with the roof rails, there is currently no way to have them installed. It isn't like the earlier model years where you could pop out some trim, install the rails, and put in the new trim.

Also, the factory did not offer a roof rail option for the '15 when you choose the panoramic roof option.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I installed the rails onto my 2011 mkx, it was easy. I had to reuse the screw that came out of the middle bracket when I removed the plastic under original rail. Kit only comes with 8 screws, so you'll need top reuse the middle one. I am unsure if I will add any cross bars mostly I just liked the look and the option of maybe adding something else down the road. It was like 221.00 on amazon for the two rails via amazon.