need help with vibration when o-40 mph

I have a 2008 ford edge suv. it has 100,000 mile about a week ago i noticed that it vibrates at low speeds. I took it to check all four tires and they were balanced and rotated. tires only have 20000 mile on them. it vibrates from 0-40 mph anythi ng after that its ok no vibration. anyone have any ideas whats wrong.

Anakin,

My 2 cents, FWIW.

Was the vibration present before or after the tires were rotated? Or both?

Are all four tires are the same size and relatively the same age and manufactured by the same company? What is the depth of the tire tread? Is it even all around?

Do any of the tire surfaces show any defects, like cupping or abnormal shoulder wear? It is important to know where this tire was originally positioned on the car. The tire that is relocated to this position will eventually wear in the same manner. Cupping indicates a suspension component defect, the condition may present itself as vibration (noise too). Abnormal or accelerated shoulder wear (scrubbing) indicates an alignment issue (toe, camber, or caster). This may also present itself as vibration.

Is the alignment within specification? If the roads where you live are rough or bumpy the suspension will move out of tolerance earlier than a location where the roads are smooth and flat. Most 0 to 40 mph roads have different surfaces than the 40 mph and above roads too. 40+ mph roads tend to be smoother, the tires 'scrub' easier on the smoother surface and the vibration will not be as pronounced.

I would start with the lug nuts first. Check the torque and make sure they're not loose (or missing). If they are, jack up the car and reseat the wheel(s). If I found that the lug nuts were loose or I was missing one, or some, I'd be pretty upset especially after coming home from the tire shop!

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...