Visor installed Homelink system for the 2007 Edge/ MKX

I have been installing Homelink systems( same as 2008 factory installations) in 2007 Edge and MKX and was wondering if this is an item members of this board would be interested in??

The system is EXACTLY the same brand and installed in the EXACT spot as the 2008 model. We have black, tan and gray available for $199 installed(plus shipping).

I would have anyone interested remove their visor and ship it to me, once we receive the visor we would install the Homelink system and ship it back within 48 hours. There is nothing you need to do with the visor once it has been modified, other than plug in your origal vanity mirror lamp(required) and replace the screws.

I am intersted in any feedback---

Even from Clubwagon ;-)

Edited by tspad

I have been installing Homelink systems( same as 2008 factory installations) in 2007 Edge and MKX and was wondering if this is an item members of this board would be interested in??

The system is EXACTLY the same brand and installed in the EXACT spot as the 2008 model. We have black, tan and gray available for $199 installed(plus shipping).

I would have anyone interested remove their visor and ship it to me, once we receive the visor we would install the Homelink system and ship it back within 48 hours. There is nothing you need to do with the visor once it has been modified, other than plug in your origal vanity mirror lamp(required) and replace the screws.

Even from Clubwagon ;-)

Clubwagon is on permanent hiatus (at least until he thinks up yet another alias).

I did this myself on my Fusion using an Ebay purchased Maxima visor w/homelink. The only part I couldn't figure out was how to get the fabric off and back on without cutting it. I ended up cutting it - thinking I could put it back together and not be noticeable, but it looks terrible. I was planning to get another regular visor and try again. How do you get the fabric over the plastic piece around the post that clips onto the headliner? That's the part I couldn't figure out.

And I can verify that this modification will look and work exactly like the OEM version - if done correctly.

Explain what Homelink is ? Just purchased 07 MKX and you never know what I might need!

It's basically a 3 button garage door opener that can be used to control lights or appliances in addition to garage door openers. Should be standard on your MKX but I'm not 100% sure. Look for an oval containing 3 buttons on the driver's visor.

I will chime in here. I have this in the MKX and also an '00 Exploder. I added an aftermarket mirror to an '05 Escape, just to get it. Great option. The Exploder has a voice recorder built into that one also. Good for capturing a policeman's remarks during a traffic stop.

One thing I did 2 days after I got my MKX was, I started pulling on the seat belt warning tag on the visor, (Despise the look of them) and I had about 1 inch of the corner off the fabric, and saw how it looked like I was making a worse mess. Well that isn't a sticky adhesive. I couldn't put it back up. So it HAD to come off. Ripppppppppppp and off it went. Now I was left with some white sticking to the fabric. Turns out it's an iron-on.

Luckily goo-gone and a lot of rubbing cleaned everything off/up. Now I'm eyeing the passenger side, but I want a professional heat-gun to use on it to see if that softens it up, before I rippppppppp that one off.

Even from Clubwagon ;-)

Hell yeah! I'd love to have this done!

I wonder, do you recover the visor? If not are you able/willing to remove the hideous safety sticker in the process?

• 2 weeks later...
i have an SE and i didnt even notice that there was no homelink system till i brought it home....stupid me!! so how would i the homelink system installed and also would it be possible to install vanity lights?? forgot to check for that too!!

thanks mucho

If you want both then just replace the visor with a SEL visor (assuming the wiring is still there) with homelink and the vanity mirror already installed. Or you can buy a homelink equipped rear view mirror (won't solve the vanity light). Be aware both of these options will run close to or above $300.

Thank you.

I have a few more important things to spend the $300.00 on...perhaps a mini-vacation in March or April...who knows....

No such thing as a free lunch, but sales guy through mine (HMLink Mirror) in for "free". I bet Good Hands would have definitely had similar success if he asked...:-)

No such thing as a free lunch, but sales guy through mine (HMLink Mirror) in for "free". I bet Good Hands would have definitely had similar success if he asked...:-)

He would have....He's very convincing...*nods*...a great salesman!

lol....

I like my homelink in my 2008...but have no clue how to turn on lights or my home security or anything...only thing programmed to it is my garage door...

He would have....He's very convincing...*nods*...a great salesman!

lol....

I like my homelink in my 2008...but have no clue how to turn on lights or my home security or anything...only thing programmed to it is my garage door...

To do that you have to buy the associated homelink controllers.

If you want both then just replace the visor with a SEL visor (assuming the wiring is still there) with homelink and the vanity mirror already installed. Or you can buy a homelink equipped rear view mirror (won't solve the vanity light). Be aware both of these options will run close to or above $300.

thanks good to know

• 3 weeks later...
I will chime in here. I have this in the MKX and also an '00 Exploder. I added an aftermarket mirror to an '05 Escape, just to get it. Great option. The Exploder has a voice recorder built into that one also. Good for capturing a policeman's remarks during a traffic stop.

One thing I did 2 days after I got my MKX was, I started pulling on the seat belt warning tag on the visor, (Despise the look of them) and I had about 1 inch of the corner off the fabric, and saw how it looked like I was making a worse mess. Well that isn't a sticky adhesive. I couldn't put it back up. So it HAD to come off. Ripppppppppppp and off it went. Now I was left with some white sticking to the fabric. Turns out it's an iron-on.

Luckily goo-gone and a lot of rubbing cleaned everything off/up. Now I'm eyeing the passenger side, but I want a professional heat-gun to use on it to see if that softens it up, before I rippppppppp that one off.

Did you ever try the heat gun on the decal? I hate the damn things, but I don't want to make it worse trying to remove them.

Did you ever try the heat gun on the decal? I hate the damn things, but I don't want to make it worse trying to remove them.

Unfortunately at this time, No. But it's not over yet, maybe about March I might have more to report. I will say this, you want to remove it as fast as possible, before it sets too long and cements in. If you start pulling one corner and use your other hand to hold back the fabric, it will come off, and you can clean it up with some Goo-gone. IF my devious plans go correctly, I will get a heat-gun in about March and try it once more.

Unfortunately at this time, No. But it's not over yet, maybe about March I might have more to report. I will say this, you want to remove it as fast as possible, before it sets too long and cements in. If you start pulling one corner and use your other hand to hold back the fabric, it will come off, and you can clean it up with some Goo-gone. IF my devious plans go correctly, I will get a heat-gun in about March and try it once more.

MKX a hair dryer will work. I have a Blue Point Heat Gun with two settings and the low one is about like my wife's Hair Dryer. The high setting may melt the Fabric. The Fabric sisters are pretty prominent in that Fabric. You know, Poly and Ester.

Those stickers are tough, I pulled mine off on that 01 Harley truck and you could always see where it had been. Lawyers I am certain are the reason they are there in the first place.

how did it look after being cleaned up with the goo gone? on a scale of A+ to F-