Oil Leaks - Engine Block Issues

Hawker

Have a brand new Edge SEL+ with all the options. LOVE the vehicle, BUT......

At about 1,500 milews noticed a small wet oil spot under engine area. Dried up and spot kept reappearing. Took back to dealer, they called and told me that the leak was from the oil filter gasket and that they had repaired. My wife went to pick up car and the story changed. They said that they weren't sure if they should tell her or not, but that if this leak persisted that they may have to replace the engine!!! Sure enough, the leak actually got a little worse and I took it back. After a full day at the shop, they had pulled the intake manifold off and discovered that the leak was from the top of the motor and had dripped down to the bottom near the oil filter. Ford authorized a new engine, and I was loaned a Ford Taurus to use, so they could begin the tear-out process while the motor came from Memphis TN. Eleven days later @#&%(, and I am still in this now-unacceptable Taurus. Apparently there are some "pourous" engine block castings out there that allow oil to leach all over the place.

Anyone else have a similar issue??

Interesting,, I've dealt with AL. Casting's now for quite a number of years. Porosity was a problem in the late 70's/early 80's. Up until the 90's loctite was used to seal the machined casting's. IF you were having a problem now from porosity, it might show in your power steering other than an engine block.

Could you return to the shop and take detailed pic's and post them here? Warranty costs are down across the board for Ford, so it seems the easiest answer is to just replace a problem now to keep the customer happy, and they will look into it later. My honest opinion, I do not see how a block could weep oil. But anything IS possible. As I read your comments "they had pulled the intake manifold off and discovered that the leak was from the top of the motor and had dripped down to the bottom near the oil filter." <- Sounded like Coolant and a possible head / intake gasket problem. Still sound's like a head gasket problem would allow oil to leak from the top down like that.

Your under their mercy here, best to just pray that the new engine fixes your problem. Sorry to hear this.

• 1 month later...

I noticed a small puddle of oil on my garage floor and inspected the bottom of my new Edge and found the oil filter had a drip on it. I needed an Oil change and had that service performed at my local dealer. I talked to the tech and he said it was probably just the oil filter. I returned home and the new one is doing the same thing. I will return today for further assistance. I am going to Crap if they want to replace my Engine!

I have had 9 Fords and the Edge is the 10th. I have never had a problem with any of them other than minor stuff. I hate to hear about this.

SRE

Edited by sengland

Woe is me. This was a little more than a Bad Oil Filter. I am traveling and noticed the Filter leaking again. The Dealer I bought it from checked it out and found the O Ring on the Oil Cooler is the culprit. Parts are ordered and should be fixed Monday, provided that they get the parts. I am glad they found it and can only hope this is really what is leaking. It isn't bad just not supposed to happen. I am certainly glad I don't need a new engine. At least, at this point, I don't anyway.

Any of you guys noticed an Oil leak? Mine has the towing Package so I have the Auxiliary Oil Cooler and that is where the oil is leaking from.

SRE

Edited by sengland

This is scaring me. I'm on 10,000 miles with my 2007 Ford Edge (bought in August) and recently (right after the first oil change) started noticing puddles of oil under the car. I thought for sure that someone had parked in my driveway during the day as this COULDN'T be from my BRAND NEW car. Accompanying the puddles is a odd smell, almost oil like, definitely a chemical smell while idling after the car has been running for a bit, and also smoke rising from the engine.

I'm going in for a check tomorrow (12/19). Oh boy.

This is scaring me. I'm on 10,000 miles with my 2007 Ford Edge (bought in August) and recently (right after the first oil change) started noticing puddles of oil under the car. I thought for sure that someone had parked in my driveway during the day as this COULDN'T be from my BRAND NEW car. Accompanying the puddles is a odd smell, almost oil like, definitely a chemical smell while idling after the car has been running for a bit, and also smoke rising from the engine.

Whoa.

Deja' vu.

UPDATE: Just got a call from the mechanic. There's a leak in the transfer case at the front drive axel. He says it could be a few days before the part is in because it's such a new car and an odd issue. Great.

God I hope this isn't the beginning of a long line of problems. I was so happy with my Edge!

Edited by K.Baker

UPDATE: Just got a call from the mechanic. There's a leak in the transfer case at the front drive axel. He says it could be a few days before the part is in because it's such a new car and an odd issue. Great.

God I hope this isn't the beginning of a long line of problems. I was so happy with my Edge!

I have a 2007 Edge SEL+, purchased in May and now has 10,000 miles on it. It's been leaking something for a couple months, but only a drop here and there. Just got my second oil change this week and they showed me the leak had nothing to do with the oil but rather the transfer case leaking. After having my Edge all week, and expecting it back today, I'm told today that they need a part that is on backorder and might not come in for a month. Oh, by the way, no loner car this week and they still wont give me a loner with the part delay, which is not my problem. They said to come and pick it up and bring it back when the part comes in. They assured me it is fine to drive and wont do any damage. I had to demand a loner car when I bring my Edge back when they get the part. This is ridiculous. I'm driving Ford now for almost 14 years and this is my 4th one, never with any problems until the Edge. I've been documenting everything with the service, since it was in the service department for a combined 2 weeks in the first couple months when I got it for a multitude of other problems. This is week # 3 for a 6-7 month old vehicle and who knows how long they'll have it when I bring it back for them to finish fixing this problem. I'm thinking they'll be a new 2008 Edge replacement in my future if this keeps up.

I have a 2007 Edge SEL+, purchased in May and now has 10,000 miles on it. It's been leaking something for a couple months, but only a drop here and there. Just got my second oil change this week and they showed me the leak had nothing to do with the oil but rather the transfer case leaking. After having my Edge all week, and expecting it back today, I'm told today that they need a part that is on backorder and might not come in for a month. Oh, by the way, no loner car this week and they still wont give me a loner with the part delay, which is not my problem. They said to come and pick it up and bring it back when the part comes in. They assured me it is fine to drive and wont do any damage. I had to demand a loner car when I bring my Edge back when they get the part. This is ridiculous. I'm driving Ford now for almost 14 years and this is my 4th one, never with any problems until the Edge. I've been documenting everything with the service, since it was in the service department for a combined 2 weeks in the first couple months when I got it for a multitude of other problems. This is week # 3 for a 6-7 month old vehicle and who knows how long they'll have it when I bring it back for them to finish fixing this problem. I'm thinking they'll be a new 2008 Edge replacement in my future if this keeps up.

Mine is the exact same issue, and from what I've been reading, there are quite a few people with transfer case leaks on their Edges. Mine's been in the shop 3 days now and still no sign of the part. I suppose when you buy a new model car these are the kinds of kinks that need to be worked out. Maybe there will be a recall. Was yours the right front axel as well? Everyone told me not to buy a Ford but I wanted to buy American - I hope I'm not proving them all right. I do however still love my Edge, I just want it back! :)

These types of problems can happen with a new vehicle. It's usually caused by a last minute design change or a supplier making a change unbeknownst to Ford or just a supplier screw-up. The good news is that once these types of problems are fixed they're unlikely to reoccur. And they're likely to show up quickly so they're covered under warranty.

It's a PITA but not indicative of long term problems.

The dealer thinks they have pinpointed the problem I am having with an oil leak coming from somewhere around the oil filter. They have ordered the Oil Filter mount along with gaskets o rings etc. Mine has the Tow Package so there is an Auxiliary oil cooler involved. I am currently driving my vehicle waiting on Parts to arrive. This issue may have been going on since brand new. I always check my oil but rarely crawl under it to inspect for leaks. I notice some oil on the garage floor and that is when I found it. My Edge is FWD so I don't have a transfer case issue.

I hope this fixes my Edge.

Happy Holidays

• 2 weeks later...

Finally I believe my Edge is fixed. They had to replace the Oil Filter Adapter along with the gaskets and O Rings where the Oil Cooler, (I have the Tow Package) mates. When I first got it back it still had drips on the Filter. I figured it was from the repair and simply wiped it off with a Paper Towel. I left town and checked it several places while traveling and no sign at all of a leak. I never smelled anything, I never noticed the oil level dropping either. I simply noticed a small puddle on the Garage Floor one day and found it.

Maybe this will help someone else down the road.

Hey MKX what is the status of your MKX?

I also saw where you posted something about a Light Bar on your TV. I have a Phillips Flat Screen and have Blue Pixels in the lower right corner sometimes, I have been told that is the light Bar. What the heck is a Light Bar? I always thought a Light Bar was one you could only get Beer at since it was in the pool down in Jamaica Mon.

• 3 months later...
Have a brand new Edge SEL+ with all the options. LOVE the vehicle, BUT......

At about 1,500 milews noticed a small wet oil spot under engine area. Dried up and spot kept reappearing. Took back to dealer, they called and told me that the leak was from the oil filter gasket and that they had repaired. My wife went to pick up car and the story changed. They said that they weren't sure if they should tell her or not, but that if this leak persisted that they may have to replace the engine!!! Sure enough, the leak actually got a little worse and I took it back. After a full day at the shop, they had pulled the intake manifold off and discovered that the leak was from the top of the motor and had dripped down to the bottom near the oil filter. Ford authorized a new engine, and I was loaned a Ford Taurus to use, so they could begin the tear-out process while the motor came from Memphis TN. Eleven days later @#&%(, and I am still in this now-unacceptable Taurus. Apparently there are some "pourous" engine block castings out there that allow oil to leach all over the place.

Anyone else have a similar issue??

yes, i had the same problem. Ford supposedly repaired it, but i still have the awful smell coming from the engine after driving.

Finally I believe my Edge is fixed. They had to replace the Oil Filter Adapter along with the gaskets and O Rings where the Oil Cooler, (I have the Tow Package) mates. When I first got it back it still had drips on the Filter. I figured it was from the repair and simply wiped it off with a Paper Towel. I left town and checked it several places while traveling and no sign at all of a leak. I never smelled anything, I never noticed the oil level dropping either. I simply noticed a small puddle on the Garage Floor one day and found it.

Maybe this will help someone else down the road.

Hey MKX what is the status of your MKX?

I also saw where you posted something about a Light Bar on your TV. I have a Phillips Flat Screen and have Blue Pixels in the lower right corner sometimes, I have been told that is the light Bar. What the heck is a Light Bar? I always thought a Light Bar was one you could only get Beer at since it was in the pool down in Jamaica Mon.

i had the same problem with oil leaking on my 07 Ford Edge. This seems to be a factory defect. I had to take mine back 3 times.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree something needs to be done. Ford first told me a month ago the leak was from the vent on top of the PTU and was running down (even though the top of the PTU was dry). It has now been a month since they told me it was fixed and what do i see when i get underneath? The leak is just as bad if not worse than before. The leak is bad enough that it has blown all the way back to the rear axle! Back to the shop again....That is if i can get them to return my calls this time! The worst part is that i live 1 hour from the closest dealership! not like they care though.

I agree something needs to be done. Ford first told me a month ago the leak was from the vent on top of the PTU and was running down (even though the top of the PTU was dry). It has now been a month since they told me it was fixed and what do i see when i get underneath? The leak is just as bad if not worse than before. The leak is bad enough that it has blown all the way back to the rear axle! Back to the shop again....That is if i can get them to return my calls this time! The worst part is that i live 1 hour from the closest dealership! not like they care though.

I just started thinking about something that didn't add up and took a second glance under my car. Ford uses Mercon V in the Transmission it has a red color, they use standard motorcraft differential gear oil in the PTU which doesn't have a color but does have a Very Stong odor. These fluids are not easy to mix up. I told the dealer my car was leaking motor oil. They told me it was leaking Differential oil. Why doesn't the differential oil have the strong smell that gear oil should?? BECAUSE IT IS MOTOR OIL. Those jerks in the shop don't know why type of oil is running out of my new car?? Don't think im being overly hard on the poor mechanics because I am one. I shouldn't have let them tell me it was gear oil in the first place but I didn't think about it at the time.

SUGGESTION TO OTHERS: Don't assume the dealer knows what they are talking about. If you are mechanically inclined don't be affraid to tell them they are wrong.

Edited by mike502