Performance mods you would like to see for the Edge/MKX

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

• 2 weeks later...

Modifications for speed and handling are great, but any vehicle that goes faster and handles quicker, better have better braking capabilites. The present braking system has a hard enough time stopping a stock vehicle, much less a faster Edge/MKX. I'd like to see mods made to the braking system, and not Brembo brakes that cost thousands of dollars. Some affordable braking mods that won't break the bank would be great. (no pun intended)

My MKX needed the rotors turned at 13,000 miles because they were warped. Lincoln dealer was going to put the old pads right back on the MKX after turning the rotors. I asked, "What is going to prevent this from happening again?" Their response, "Nothing is going to prevent this from happening again"...I did some research on ceramic pads and found that there are a lot of ceramic pads on the market, but very few manufacturers send their products out for independent evaluation or testing. One that did was AC/DELCO Professional Durastop ceramic pads. They were recommended (specific application) by "Rock Auto" for the Edge and the MKX on their website...I bought the pads and gave them to the Lincoln dealer to install on the MKX instead of the stock pads... There was an immediate improvement in braking after installation, but than again anything would be a improvement over warped rotors. I'll give it some time and give an update after further evaluation, but so far, so good.

AND! I'd like to see some mods for the PTU. It's hard to believe that someone has not come up with an idea involving an attached reservoir system for more gear oil.(if possible?) Just a thought...

Edited by dshamer
  • Like 2

Better brakes do exist, you can get better pads to work with OEM rotors, or replace both rotor & pad (Power Stop, EBC, etc.). A big brake kit is available for front (Brembo?), while TCE is willing to customize a Wilwood kit for the Edge/MKX (they need a "volunteer" + a few short hours for measurements etc.) for F/R.

There are versions of the PTU on the SHO and thus the Police Interceptor that have a water-cooled system, but alas, not extra capacity. As akirby pointed out, a regular PTU fluid exchange program is the best/easiest bet right now for our vehicles.

I've modified vehicles all my life. Yanked engines, rebuilt wih forged pistons, rods, etc. Superchaged, added intercoolers, retuned, upped injector size, fuel pumps, changed rear axles, you name it.

But not interested in midifying our 2012 Limited Edge. It's just too heavy. It's FWD. Would have to change out the trans for more TQ. The AWD not designed for more TQ. I don't think it makes a good vehicle to modify.

Mustang much better platform to start with.

Or for family sized vehicle......Explorer ECO Boost 3.5 or SHO. Most of work already done at a price far far cheaper than you can do it piece by piece. They already have beefed up engine internals for turning up the turbo charger, plenty of tunes available for more boost, already have beefed up transmission and drivetrain, already have higher capacity fuel system, already have increased cooling systems, already have bigger brakes, already have transaxle options, and many other features. A list too long to list for these vehicles.

Better to start with a vehicle already factory done, get a tune, and turn up the boost, and enjoy 500 HP.

Edited by RJG
  • Like 2

Flushing out and draining is a band aid, not a fix. PTU's should not need a drain and refill every year unless you are abusing the system. I'm aware of what was posted about draining refilling ,install of drain plug etc. It's good information, but I want a better system (modification) if available.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...
On 8/6/2014 at 11:37 AM, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

Hey folks!

I know this topic has been raised now and then, here & there. I hope to consolidate the interest in one place, in this thread. I am working through people on another site to help make this happen, and will need volunteers/guinea pigs :) for test & fitment.

Please add a post with a list of aftermarket mods you would like to see available for your Edge/MKX, along with the type of vehicle you have. Additional options for the Ecoboost crowd.

I will get this started:

2007 Edge SEL - 3.5L AWD

Downpipes with high flow cats (and without for no-testing states)

Coilovers

Tuner

Catback Exhaust System

Cold Air Intake Kit

Stabilizer Bar for front/rear (tuned to the vehicle)

I would really like downpipes and headers for my 3.5

• 4 months later...