Performance mods you would like to see for the Edge/MKX

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Hey folks!

I know this topic has been raised now and then, here & there. I hope to consolidate the interest in one place, in this thread. I am working through people on another site to help make this happen, and will need volunteers/guinea pigs :) for test & fitment.

Please add a post with a list of aftermarket mods you would like to see available for your Edge/MKX, along with the type of vehicle you have. Additional options for the Ecoboost crowd.

I will get this started:

2007 Edge SEL - 3.5L AWD

Downpipes with high flow cats (and without for no-testing states)

Coilovers

Tuner

Catback Exhaust System

Cold Air Intake Kit

Stabilizer Bar for front/rear (tuned to the vehicle)

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

I have a 2013 Ford Edge Sport and I'm interested in performance mods.

Intake/High-Flow Cats or Off-Road/Cat Back Exhaust/Big Brakes/Lowering Springs/Tuning (to improve the sloppy stock shifting, etc.)

I'm in Eastern KY and wouldn't mind giving my vehicle up for testing, but I'm forever far away. We can work something out though if it gets serious, drive up and stay for a weekend or something, haha! I would love to have more choices for cat-back exhaust systems. The Magnaflow honestly doesn't sound much better over stock and for $800 doesn't seem like it is worth it! I know these 3.7L N/A engines can sound amazing (much like in the Infinities) when properly setup.

However, I would say the Magnaflow system with cat-less mid-pipes would sound great!

• Like 1

2012 Sport, and my needs are really simple

- Headlight assembly with clear side lens/marker (to blend in front fascia much better - can't stand the ugly egg-yolk marker)

- LED rear light assembly

- Side steps for the Sport

- Mud flaps (customized to fit)

- Coil overs/Springs/Shocks

- Front struts/rear sway bar (designed specifically for the Edge)

- Halo LED front projectors (can't find this off-the-shelf on EBay)

See, not that much, right? :)

• Like 1

Hey folks!

I know this topic has been raised now and then, here & there. I hope to consolidate the interest in one place, in this thread. I am working through people on another site to help make this happen, and will need volunteers/guinea pigs :) for test & fitment.

Please add a post with a list of aftermarket mods you would like to see available for your Edge/MKX, along with the type of vehicle you have. Additional options for the Ecoboost crowd.

I will get this started:

2007 Edge SEL - 3.5L AWD

Downpipes with high flow cats (and without for no-testing states)

Coilovers

Tuner - Contact Torrie at www.fastpartsnetwork.com. He writes custom tunes for Fords using SCT tuners. I bought one for my '04 Sport Trac Adrenalin years ago. He wrote three (87, 89, and 93 performance) custom tunes based on my mods (CAI, high-flow cat, ported/polished TB, and FM exhaust). His customer service is outstanding, and he will update the tunes for you as the need arises for free anytime in the future after initial purchase.

Catback Exhaust System - Both Gibson and Magnaflow already offer catback exhaust systems for the Edge.

Cold Air Intake Kit - K&N offers a K&N CAI for the Edge.

Stabilizer Bar for front/rear (tuned to the vehicle)

Some of these are already available. See my comments in your quoted post above. ^

• Like 1

Torrie is practically legendary in tuning circles. But the intent of this thread is to find out what people are interested in (for example, an engine appearance cover made of carbon fiber or hydrographic'd), as well as possibly expand the offerings (for example, an Airaid kit for the Edge/MKX), if there is a gap to be filled :) We get volume, we can do group buys, lower prices, etc etc etc.

• 2 months later...

I not sure if this is on topic but ive been curious about this idea for awhile. The 2011 n up taurus sho has a 3.5l but twin turbo, would that turbo set up be able to be transplanted into the edge. I figure the main issue being engine bay room and the fwd set up but has anyone else had this idea? And as far as mods? Halo headlights, CAI( which I believe k&n offers one now) , throttle body, exhaust manifolds/ headers n all, tune, fuel injectors and possibly underdrive pulleys. All simple bolt ons for the most part except injectors. But a small turbo set up like the sho would be the best bet for adding power to the edge id think. ( just a thinker not a mechanic)

• Like 1

I know of one person that has a transplant project in the works (SHO -> Edge). Has been taking some time because the engine is being upgraded at the same time. No idea on completion date. Then there is the issue of the drivetrain. I assume we'd have to get the whole kit & kaboodle (engine/drivetrain/electronics) transplanted. The 6F55 has been pretty stout, noone's really tested the 6F50 transmission.

• 2 weeks later...

Strut brace

Something to get rid of plastics on bottom edge but not goddy or overly noticeable.

Under/overdrive pulleys

Higher amp alternator for upgraded speker systems

Some kind of adjustable spring and strut/shock Combo

Turbo kit or parts to make tt setup from SHO (as mentioned above) fit.

There are hundreds of things I wish were available for the edge. I'm one of the few on the board that will modify whatever I have. I know that there are others on here, but I also realize that a company won't spend the time to R and D a new product for 10 people.

07 sel+ in creme brûlée with a couple things already done.

post-31568-0-32885500-1415273465_thumb.jpg

post-31568-0-53471400-1415273528_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dbird
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

2010 Edge SEL FWD 3.5

Air Raid Dry-Flow Intake (I will never run a K&N or oiled filter)

Custom Tuning (I know there are tuners out there but I like options)

High Flow Quiet Tone Exhaust (its a family rig after all)

Headers or maybe these just need down pipes, I'm not all that familiar with these cars

Stiffer springs that dont lower or lower very much (we live out in the sticks and drive down back roads alot)

Heavier sway/stabilizer bars (might not be as needed after the springs)

LED/HID Everything and cleared lenses

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

2014 Ford edge SEL AWD bagged my last one just gotta move it into this one

Pretty much same as the other posts

-i think my next project will either be messing with the interior, vinylwrapping, or working on a turbo/supercharger setup but we'll see.

- just wanted to post so I can see whats going on and get an idea of whats to come

• Like 1

2011 Edge Limited 3.5L V6

• Forced induction (e.g. supercharger, turbo)
  • Intercooler and/or Heat Exchanger
  • Transmission upgrades including a trans cooler
  • Headers
  • Rear Sway Bar
  • Improved front Sway Bar
  • Front Strut Tower Brace
  • Paintable lower panels
  • 1" lowering springs
  • Boost gauges
  • Upgraded radiators
  • Methanol Injection
  • Blow-off valves
  • More cat-back exhaust options
  • Coilovers

That's all I can think of for the moment.....

Edited by PrinzII
  • Like 1

I not sure if this is on topic but ive been curious about this idea for awhile. The 2011 n up taurus sho has a 3.5l but twin turbo, would that turbo set up be able to be transplanted into the edge. I figure the main issue being engine bay room and the fwd set up but has anyone else had this idea? And as far as mods? Halo headlights, CAI( which I believe k&n offers one now) , throttle body, exhaust manifolds/ headers n all, tune, fuel injectors and possibly underdrive pulleys. All simple bolt ons for the most part except injectors. But a small turbo set up like the sho would be the best bet for adding power to the edge id think. ( just a thinker not a mechanic)

Jwallace: That's how ideas are formed and/or shaped.

As for the turbo idea, I think a lot of us who are not the typical Edge demographic (myself included) want a forced induction option. However, you did mention injector change which would be part of it. You'd also need a stronger fuel pump so that the engine does not starve for fuel (especially when you get up to certain horsepower levels). Then, you'd need to do some work on the transmission and even the transaxle so that it can handle the power (e.g. trans cooler).

I actually looked at the STS turbo system so that you don't have to worry about further crowding the already crowded engine bay. STS turbos are actually downline on the exhaust system versus in the engine bay. However, one thing I am thinking about comes from the Camaro ZL1/CTS-V. Supercharged cars are prone to heat soak and you can get another cooler with a reservoir for them. Something like that for a forced induction equipped Edge would be a good idea so that the charge temps are further lowered. The reservoir can mount on the right side of the fan housing. For instance, D3 Engineering has one such item for the ZL1 and CTS-V.

You'd also need to upgrade the ability for the engine to keep cool which means upgraded radiators and/or fans.

I am not a mechanic, either. But I do understand that converting a non-FI car to FI takes a lot of work and patience.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The weakest link, IMO, is the transaxle and the way it is geared. However, one of the coolest things with the Edge is that the axles are limited slip.

However, what if you have an AWD Edge? IIRC, they do not have the same Haldex system as the SHO and many Volvos. That means you would definitely need an upgraded PTU as well as enhanced seals.

Oh, one thing that has been on my mind for a while is polyurethane performance bushings to replace the stock rubber units (including the engine mounts). Those will definitely help in the handling department by reducing the deflection that comes from rubber bushings. Also, they provide better isolation for engine vibration(s).

The weakest link, IMO, is the transaxle and the way it is geared. However, one of the coolest things with the Edge is that the axles are limited slip.

However, what if you have an AWD Edge? IIRC, they do not have the same Haldex system as the SHO and many Volvos. That means you would definitely need an upgraded PTU as well as enhanced seals.

The Edge does not have limited slip axles, its the Traction Control that makes act as such. Also, as far as I know, Ford only used the Haldex AWD in 2005-2007 FiveHundred/Montego/Freestyle. In 2008+ they switched to a Ford developed PTU, including the SHO.

• 1 month later...

So, what you guys are saying is that the Edge actually has an open differential like a Maxima. In that community, many of them swapped the differentials for Quaife Limited Slip differentials. Maybe that should be another thing to be added to the list.

The Focus ST has a helical Quaife Limited Slip Differential. http://www.quaifeamerica.com/qdf41z.html

• 2 weeks later...