2008 Limited AWESOME in the snow!

crew chief

I have been a member for a while, but never posted yet. Just have to say I love this thing! We finally got some snow here in Winnipeg Cananda and with the traction control off, this thing is so much fun on the back roads. Like a slow motion rally car.

With the system engaged very sure footed and composed. Beautiful vehicle.

Post your thoughts.

OK.. I hate snow storms.. but this winter I have the Edge.. and I'm just waiting for a real snowfall to test my Edge out..

Im not wussy driver either.. . I would drive my sport coupe through anything.. except a couple of feet of snow.

It's just so much more fun than my old Expedition. Don't get me wrong I loved the old truck for busting drifts but this Edge is way nicer on slippery streets, none of the clunking that the " A4WD" in the Expo provided.

Enjoy

• 2 weeks later...
I have been a member for a while, but never posted yet. Just have to say I love this thing! We finally got some snow here in Winnipeg Cananda and with the traction control off, this thing is so much fun on the back roads. Like a slow motion rally car.

Post your thoughts.

Hi:

I am living winnipeg too. How much for ur real gas consumption? my sel awd model is going up to 17.1 L/100 Km!

Hi:

I am living winnipeg too. How much for ur real gas consumption? my sel awd model is going up to 17.1 L/100 Km!

Well, I do alot of Highway driving for business and just returned from Regina and area, in those -20 temps we had early this week and I can say my milage has really improved since new, I have about 5,000km on it now and I averaged over 22mpg ( 10.5L/100km ) on the whole trip, I was very pleased considering it never shut off during the day and it included alot of city as well. Much betterthen when I first got it, when I was getting around 13mpg ( 18L / 100lm ). It really depends on how you drive it. I saw a trick on the forum that if you can keep the rpm under 2000 at all times it gives you great milage. Kinda hard though it makes you drive like a granny.

Good Luck!

Well, I do alot of Highway driving for business and just returned from Regina and area, in those -20 temps we had early this week and I can say my milage has really improved since new, I have about 5,000km on it now and I averaged over 22mpg ( 10.5L/100km ) on the whole trip, I was very pleased considering it never shut off during the day and it included alot of city as well. Much betterthen when I first got it, when I was getting around 13mpg ( 18L / 100lm ). It really depends on how you drive it. I saw a trick on the forum that if you can keep the rpm under 2000 at all times it gives you great milage. Kinda hard though it makes you drive like a granny.

Good Luck!

keep the rpm under 2000, is this really work? because it is winter time, if I driving like a granny, it doesn't matter. :shades:

keep the rpm under 2000, is this really work? because it is winter time, if I driving like a granny, it doesn't matter. :shades:

Definately!

Just remeber though, you won't be getting any numbers to brag about until the temperature warms up.

How you drive has more to do with fuel economy than any other factor

• 2 weeks later...
I agree. One has to know how to drive in the snow to begin with. Having AWD or a 4x4 doesn't do a damn bit of good if you don't have the skills necessary to drive in the snow, and, after 37 years of driving, I can honestly say that the majority of the schmucks out there today don't have a clue as to what to do.

The explorer's control trac is no joke either, I think it works better then Range Rovers default AWD system for snow on roads. But the Haldex-based AWD systems Ford has adopted are amazing in car-based platforms, its a system akin to $50k+cars(the same as 4MATIC in MB's(also Haldex based).

We recently has a little storm that caused many of the major roads in the Boston area to slow to a halt for various and sundry reasons. In response my wife took all back roads home from work in her Edge. She stated that she has never felt so secure and stable on snow/ice covered roads than in her Edge(AWD). Our old Escape was good, but this was in a another league. I took it for a little jaunt during our most recent snow event and would concur that the vehicle indeed performs well on snow and ice covered roads. So far the Edge performed as we had hoped; tows our boat in the spring and fall, great highway cruiser for familiy trips and safely get's through the a good old fashion New England snow storm.

Post your thoughts.

We got our 2008 Edge Limited in the middle of November and we love it too! Just wondering if anyone had put Winter tires on their Edge and what kind would be recommended? Information on brand, size and price would be apprecited.

We got our 2008 Edge Limited in the middle of November and we love it too! Just wondering if anyone had put Winter tires on their Edge and what kind would be recommended? Information on brand, size and price would be apprecited.

My tire dealer could not find snow tires in size it came with 245/60/18.

he found similar size in Conti Ice size 255/55/18.My speedometer reads 5 % slow now but these studded Contis are Great! My Edge will go thru almost anything. They ran about $ 200 each.

Ours came with the standard 17 inch wheels. I was surprised reading the owners manual after we owned it that Ford does not want you to use chains if the tires are any bigger. I looked up on tirerack.com for winter tires to fit the 17 inch wheels and found many choices.

If you buy an Edge to use the AWD for winter conditions you may need the standard 17 inch wheels to get the most out of the car. The larger wheels and tires look good, but might be for the drivers that don't want to leave Los Angeles!

I drove to Paradise on Mt. Rainier in some snow and ice last weekend. The AWD was impressive.

Edited by bsprague

I have a FWD so winter tires was a must.

My dealer got me Michelin Latitude Alpin HP (C$250 each) and I had no problem with all the snow we got here in Ontario. I really feel the difference.

Also my ABS and Traction control are both "off" because of a sensor problem and I'm very happy to have these tires.

Edited by TheCanadian

• 2 weeks later...

I have found our Edge to be great in the snow. I have been using it to tow my sleds on my double snowmobile trailer on the snow covered highways and back roads and it works like a charm.

I must say I'm actually very impressed with both the slick towing as I am the capable AWD. Lane changes through the heavy snow are smooth and confident.

My dealer got me Michelin Latitude Alpin HP (C$250 each) and I had no problem with all the snow we got here in Ontario. I really feel the difference.

Also my ABS and Traction control are both "off" because of a sensor problem and I'm very happy to have these tires.

Just got my Edge Limited AWD in vapor silver 2008 and haven't driven it in snow but in lots of rain as we live in Washington state

and I love this car!!!!!!! From ttbear We just drove it to California and now have 1500 miles on it and have only had since Jan. 6th. Got 19.7 mpg

on our trip. Also love the sirius radio, sync and navagation not to mention the liftgate. Can't say enough about this fun car.

Edited by ttbear

Just got my Edge Limited AWD in vapor silver 2008 and haven't driven it in snow but in lots of rain as we live in Washington state

and I love this car!!!!!!! From ttbear We just drove it to California and have 1500 miles on it. Got 19.7 mpg. Have only had it since Jan. 6th. Also I really love

the sync, sirius radio, navigation system and power liftgate. We can't say enough about this car. I call it my fun car because it reminds me when my husband had

bought me a BMW 320i many years ago and I loved driving it but have to say I love the Edge even more. It handles like a dream !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hah!! Finally some snow!! We've got about 4" (and still snowing). Took the Edge out for some "coffee". This thing is 100% better in the snow than my Expedition. I did a couple of tests of the ABS. I know ABS prevents your wheels from locking up, but on the Edge, you can actually feel it keeping you straight as an arrow. Also, the AWD is awesome. My driveway is a 20-25 degree +- incline, and from a dead stop, it went right up without even one slip of the tires. Not that the Pirelli's are that great in the snow, but I see no need for dedicated snow tires.