Power Steering Fluid Change / Flush

coronan

• 4 months later...

Just started coming back to these forums...kinda late reply but maybe it'll help someone out.

I had my car in the shop to get the tires rotated and when I got it back the guy said they topped off all the fluids. Cool. Then I drove from Ohio to Florida and then back again. At some point I went to put windshield washer fluid in and saw that the Power Steering Fluid cap wasn't on...it was sitting next to it!!!...guy forgot to put it back on and the fluid was extremely dirty.

When I got home I bought some steering fluid and a cheap turkey baster. What I did was suck out as much as I could then refilled it. Drove around. Next day did the same thing. After I did this about 4 times it was as clean and new as the day I bought it.

• Like 1

Turkey basters. The mother of all inventions and so many uses!!

Just started coming back to these forums...kinda late reply but maybe it'll help someone out.

I had my car in the shop to get the tires rotated and when I got it back the guy said they topped off all the fluids. Cool. Then I drove from Ohio to Florida and then back again. At some point I went to put windshield washer fluid in and saw that the Power Steering Fluid cap wasn't on...it was sitting next to it!!!...guy forgot to put it back on and the fluid was extremely dirty.

When I got home I bought some steering fluid and a cheap turkey baster. What I did was suck out as much as I could then refilled it. Drove around. Next day did the same thing. After I did this about 4 times it was as clean and new as the day I bought it.

• 4 years later...

A little late to this party but heres what I did: (2014 3.5)  At 55K I bought a qt of Ford compatible fluid from an auto parts store.  Got a turkey baster $3), a dollar store small funnel )1) and an old water jug.  

Place some cardboard under the tires so you don't cause extra wear on the pump (they will now turn easily and you don't need to go for a drive).

Siphon out the reservoir, refill with fresh fluid up to the top line. You will get about a pint out.  Lock to lock the steering wheel about 8 times to get the fluid into the lines and punp.  Then repeat the entire process twice more.

I used about 1/2 a qt of new fluid, still have some old in the gearbox and lines but will just do this again in a few days.

Total cost under $10.  You'll want a few paper towels for wiping drips and a small funnel.  Total time about 15-20 minutes.

Just make sure its Ford compatible, I didn't use auto trans fluid like sone people said.

The old fluid was dark red (had a dye), new was clear ( no dye) so its a light pink now.  Pump wasn't making any noises, just a simple and low-cost preventative maintenance item.

Edited by 14AWD3.5
Add info