Transmission fluid change Edge 2009 SEL

nonipk

Hi,

I changed transmission fluid yesterday. Mileage is 100,000 kms. Went to a mechanic and he drained all by opening a screw from bottom. Don't know how much capacity came out and then he put 6 litres of transmission oil.

Want to know is this a correct method as some people say u have to do 3 times this procedure. Also 6 litres enough as on the dipstick I cannot see any levels as oil very thin.

Please advise.

Thanks

Should be fine with a one-time drain and fill. Just do another one at 200,000 kms. The idea behind the 3-time drain & fill was to completely exchange the old fluid without having to do a trans flush (more involved). Good thing to do, but not necessary if your Edge is running fine otherwise.

If 6 liters came out, 6 should have been put back in. My impression was though that 5 quarts/liters is the normal drain. Try looking at the dipstick from an angle maybe to see where the fluid is on the dipstick?

• 4 weeks later...

I do a drain and fill on all of my trucks (gm diesels) and I plan to do the same on my wife's '10 Edge sel fwd. It has 100k miles on it mostly highway (was previously my moms) so I doubt its in bad condition. I will drain and fill once/yr or every 50k miles which ever comes first. We drove 120k miles between 3 HD diesel trucks and had a lot of car pooling, 50k/yr isn't out of reach for us.

On vehicles with a tranny cooler you can use the cooler lines to swap out almost all the fluid in one shot including the torque converter. It's not a "flush" so it won't do any damage - it just uses the normal operation of the pump and the cooler to replace old fluid with new as it goes to and from the cooler. Dealers have machines that do it or you can do it yourself with some 5 gallon buckets and rubber tubing.

On vehicles with a tranny cooler you can use the cooler lines to swap out almost all the fluid in one shot including the torque converter. It's not a "flush" so it won't do any damage - it just uses the normal operation of the pump and the cooler to replace old fluid with new as it goes to and from the cooler. Dealers have machines that do it or you can do it yourself with some 5 gallon buckets and rubber tubing.

That works just fine and does get 99% of the fluid out. If you don't know your cars history or are concerned about your fluid quality then I would suggest doing the trans cooler line method.

If you aren't having issues then I think the drain and fill once per 50k would be just fine.