First LONG road trip! Hard drivers seat!

I migrated from a Pacifica Limited to the Edge SEL Liimted and I just got back from the first long 700 mile trip down I80 from Chicago to Flint and back.

I found the drivers seat real hard to get comfortable, constant sifting in the seat after an hour or so. Wife is 5'4" and doesn't complain either in the drivers or passenger seat.

I am 6 foot 2, 220 lbs and I found the seat hard and the pitch of the seat could not be adjusted enuff to get me comfortable.

I wanted more range in the tilt wheel (I do like the GM and Chrysler tilt wheel).

The power seat and recliner did not angle back enuff to support my thighs on the seat bottom well, Granted I DO have long legs, but I don't have a problem with my kids S10 pickup or the Chrysler.

Looks like I will have to look at some cushion or means to get comfortable, but I really should NOT have to!

Anyone else having trip woes??

If you're not used to firmer seats, they may seem uncomfortable at first but your body should adjust to them and soon they'll be more comfortable (just like a firmer mattress - you get better support). It is possible they just don't fit your body but I'd give it a few weeks for adjustment first.

I had a 2005 Five Hundred Limited with Leather before getting the 2008 Edge Limited. I definitely noticed the seats are harder (firmer) in the Edge. We just drove 1500 mi round trip on a Thanksgiving week vacation and my arse was getting a little sore after only a few hours of driving. Otherwise it doesn't seem to bother me for short trips. FYI, I'm 5'8" 158 lbs. I wouldn't disagree that the bottom of the seat could be a tad softer.

I migrated from a Pacifica Limited to the Edge SEL Liimted and I just got back from the first long 700 mile trip down I80 from Chicago to Flint and back.

I found the drivers seat real hard to get comfortable, constant sifting in the seat after an hour or so. Wife is 5'4" and doesn't complain either in the drivers or passenger seat.

I am 6 foot 2, 220 lbs and I found the seat hard and the pitch of the seat could not be adjusted enuff to get me comfortable.

I wanted more range in the tilt wheel (I do like the GM and Chrysler tilt wheel).

The power seat and recliner did not angle back enuff to support my thighs on the seat bottom well, Granted I DO have long legs, but I don't have a problem with my kids S10 pickup or the Chrysler.

Looks like I will have to look at some cushion or means to get comfortable, but I really should NOT have to!

Anyone else having trip woes??

I'm 205 pounds with a bad (old) back and I can drive my Edge all day without any pain. Best seats I ever had. Even better than my F-150. Maybe you have to get used to them. I hope that doesn't wreck your enjoyment of the Edge.

• 1 month later...

I have a verrrry comfortable drivers seat in my edge.

I had taken my 71 Riviera to the custom top & upholstery shop to look over some fabrics and see about getting the vinyl top redone.

I mentioned what I thought were the uncomfortable seats in the Edge and he told me he has done seat work on lots of cars including Five Hundreds, Fusions, and three Edge cars since the beginning of summer. He said mostly to put in aftermarket seat heaters, but at the same time the customers complained about the hard seats and the lack of good lumbar support.

His solution is a more pliable, but denser foam and replacing the OEM lumbar band to offer more support. He will also rework the power drivers seat geometry for a more flexible recline. I found the recline position too 'down and out' for my 6'2" frame. He showed me a Volvo that they were replacing the drivers seat on, and it looked completely stock- except when you sat on it! Big difference!

He sold me, and I got it back this morning with three stage bun warmers, and a reworked drivers seat. The bill was $400 and change, and well worth it! The seat looks the same except you can tell the bottom and back bolsters are a little fatter than the passenger side. My upholsterer said they will even out after a while.

It's been 65 degrees in Chicagoland lately, so I can't comment on the bun warmers except they work well. The seat is amazing - great thigh support, nice side bolstering, and the lumber is lower and taller and tightens-up the whole lower back. I can move the seat back farther and it doesn't sink low like it did, so I sit more upright and the seat bottom isn't hard.

Well worth the money.

• 8 years later...
My 2011 Limited with Leather 10 way drivers seat is really hard - not very luxurious. I have a 1996 Explorer limited with leather that has really comfortable cushions. My wife's 2006 Merc Montego Premier has the same hard leather seats. Has anyone found this to be true and what can I do about it?

I'm 5'-10" and 150 lbs and a 4 hour trip in the Edge or the Merc is painful in my butt.

Is the only solution a custom upholstery shop? Has anyone else had this problem?

6'5 here, seats are comfy to me, more so than my f150 where after 3-4 hours backs of my legs would fall asleep. I drive about 80 minutes each way to work no issues... What does drive me crazy is the center console. I have zero room for right knee to rest comfortably. I constantly am adjusting my leg as well as left leg with the dead pedal placement being ideal for someone who is 4'9".

Wish ford would make a four door vehicle that had some side leg space and stop with these massive center console areas. So much wasted space!

• 10 months later...