IPod <USB Removed> Issue

Actually, I just got an 08 Focus, and a new Zune, and I'm getting the exact same issue. Only a few min. down the road it will just cut out. Little upset myself considering I just got a job with Ford, and was pretty excited to find out what Sync was all about, only to have a problem right off the bat. I haven't even had the car for a week. Where are you guys posting the problems, so they know the Zune has them too? I'm having a problem with my phone as well, anyone know why sync may not recognize multiple numbers for the same contact? It will only call on "other" even tough there are cell, home, and or work numbers stored for someone in my phone book.

So far this is the only place I've found even talking about sync problems...

I have had the same USB disconnected problem with my Zune.. The issue can't be cables, or the mp3 manufacturer with so many issues. It is possible to play your tunes from your player just using an auxilary cable, but you'll lose the control the Sync system provides.

I have had the same USB disconnected problem with my Zune.. The issue can't be cables, or the mp3 manufacturer with so many issues. It is possible to play your tunes from your player just using an auxilary cable, but you'll lose the control the Sync system provides.

Yeah, I've been using the aux input just so it works. I guess it's sort of a work around, but still doesn't work like it should. One would think the Microsoft could make their products work together correctly...

Yeah, I've been using the aux input just so it works. I guess it's sort of a work around, but still doesn't work like it should. One would think the Microsoft could make their products work together correctly...

Just one follow up. I'm able to use my flash drive flawlessly with Sync. So it definitely must be something with the Ipod and Zune players. Hopefully they will get a fix. In the meantime, I'm just going to move all of my Itunes music to MP3's and load them on the Flash Drive.

FWIW, and it seems no one is reporting this here and it is important to know... I read on the syncmyride.com that they will/can have updates for that Sync system and you can download and update your Sync as updates come available - nstalled via the USB port. So, likely you download the latest update, attach a flash drive via the USB and update the software.

"Updates can be downloaded onto a USB storage drive and then installed in your Sync system via your vehicle’s USB port. System upgrades will be available through your Ford, Mercury and Lincoln dealership.

More details on updates will be announced as the syncmyride.com website"

see that info here: http://syncmyride.com/Own/Modules/FaqManag....aspx?tagId=103

so stay tuned and watch that website!

Edited by Lex Talionis

I would not even bother bringing the car to the dealer; my dealer tried two other ipods with my 08 Fusion and a different cable (I use the apple one) with no luck. All they did was take down my phone number, ipod version and firmware version and supposedly forward it to some Ford Sync guy. Its been almost a month and I have not heard anything back form them or found any answers on the net. If you want to read about more people's probs with this go to my Fusion Forum link in the 2nd post. No one is having any luck at all. Someone even said that they have this porblem with their Zune!

-Definatly let us know about the new Sync module though, if that does anything we will all probably be calling our dealers in a day or two...

Problem Solved! I had the dealer replace my SYNC module and it worked. I've used my iPod (30GB Video to refresh anyone's memory) and not issue whatsoever. It was kind of a pain to take it back to the dealer, but it has been worth it so far. They said the SYNC people told them this was the only way to fix the problem. I would recommend contacting the dealer first so you don't wait like this guy above has, or try a different dealer. I case anyone is interested, my dealer is Dean Seller's Ford in Troy, MI www.deansellersford.com.

Good luck!

Keep us posted, as I have the problem and it comes and goes with days of flawless functioning in between.

Problem Solved! I had the dealer replace my SYNC module and it worked. I've used my iPod (30GB Video to refresh anyone's memory) and not issue whatsoever. It was kind of a pain to take it back to the dealer, but it has been worth it so far. They said the SYNC people told them this was the only way to fix the problem. I would recommend contacting the dealer first so you don't wait like this guy above has, or try a different dealer. I case anyone is interested, my dealer is Dean Seller's Ford in Troy, MI www.deansellersford.com.

Good luck!

Guess I might be making a call to the dealer too. Would hate to have them tear apart the dash when some kind of update could solve the same problem... I used a zune the other day and it worked perfect with my car, still no luck with my 30gig ipod video though.

I'm starting to think that this is hit or miss, and it's the USB's that are messed up. Some iPod's work, some don't. Some Zune's work, some don't. I've been talking to Ford Support and so far there's no explination, but they seem pretty concerned because they've been emailing me back and forth consistantly, even over the holidays. I'd just hate to go rip apart a new car too.

Edited by jmjerome

Guys, I just wanted to add that I talked to sync support today and mentioned what was going on and that I was an employee of Ford. I think I may have noticed a trend in my zune disconnect. It seems to work fine, until it gets fully charged, once charged completely, the disconnect problem starts. Apparently it only happens with the 30GB zunes. I guess there's supposed to be a patch out soon, don't know when, but the guys said that people need to call in with problems more because they're not all getting through. Try to diagnose it a little if you can, because there starting to work on fixes now. Just thought I'd give a heads up, hopefully they can fix it soon.

I wonder if the lemon law could be enacted if you keep having problems with the sync system. That would get someone off the dime, imagine what Ford would do it vehicles were being returned because of sync.

doesn't seem likely, but it might be possible with in some states. :sos:

Guess I might be making a call to the dealer too. Would hate to have them tear apart the dash when some kind of update could solve the same problem... I used a zune the other day and it worked perfect with my car, still no luck with my 30gig ipod video though.

The good news is that I think the SYNC module is actually in the back of the console, not the IP (dash). Not certain, but if that is the case its only one trim panel they have to remove to replace the unit.

Glad to see the moderators removed the non-problem related posts in this thread.

I have not had a single problem with my iPhone getting the <USB_Removed> issue since switching to an Apple branded cable. My problem was clearly being caused by the less expensive 3rd party cable I had originally purchased.

I really recommend those with this issue with an Apple product at least try using the white Apple provided cable that came with their device and post back here, instead of assuming that just because different people with different models are having the problem that the cable isn't the problem. Check back on my earlier posts...the black 3rd party cable I had worked flawlessly with my 5th Gen iPod, but intermittently with my iPhone, so the cable can be the problem on some devices and not on others.

Consider that driving around in a car with a bouncing ride, vibrations, varying temperatures, etc, could easily cause a cheaper cable's contacts to momentarily unseat or something along those lines. I'd certainly give this a try before putting my car in the shop for a day or two to get the Sync Module replaced.

Try a different cable and report results back here for the benefit of the group.

Someone private messaged me and asked why I hadn't posted in a while - simple reason: my problem is resolved and I've been off enjoying my car with almost flawless (see footnote) Sync performance. Having posted I fixed my problem, figured nothing else of value to add here, but seeing many writing off even the possibility of the cable being the problem, glad to be back to suggest others "at least give swapping cables a try before saying it's not the solution".

footnote: I say almost flawless because there is one minor usability issue I have. Apparently playing

a song or podcast via Sync does not update the playcount for that item in the iPhone/iPod's metadata tags. For those who use Smart Playlists with a Playcount=0 rule, this is a minor issue as already listened to items aren't cleared from the device when re-syncing with iTunes. But that's a complaint for a different forum or thread.

Good luck to all. Microsoft Sync has its issues, but it's a darn cool feature set.

Edited by DistortedEdge

I have tried 3 different Apple branded cables and 3 different iPods, and the "removed" behavior occurs consistently and intermittently. I am waiting for a software fix, but am curious if the folks that reported the replacement of the Sync module resolved the probem are still having no issues.

Glad to see the moderators removed the non-problem related posts in this thread.

I have not had a single problem with my iPhone getting the <USB_Removed> issue since switching to an Apple branded cable. My problem was clearly being caused by the less expensive 3rd party cable I had originally purchased.

I really recommend those with this issue with an Apple product at least try using the white Apple provided cable that came with their device and post back here, instead of assuming that just because different people with different models are having the problem that the cable isn't the problem. Check back on my earlier posts...the black 3rd party cable I had worked flawlessly with my 5th Gen iPod, but intermittently with my iPhone, so the cable can be the problem on some devices and not on others.

Consider that driving around in a car with a bouncing ride, vibrations, varying temperatures, etc, could easily cause a cheaper cable's contacts to momentarily unseat or something along those lines. I'd certainly give this a try before putting my car in the shop for a day or two to get the Sync Module replaced.

Try a different cable and report results back here for the benefit of the group.

Someone private messaged me and asked why I hadn't posted in a while - simple reason: my problem is resolved and I've been off enjoying my car with almost flawless (see footnote) Sync performance. Having posted I fixed my problem, figured nothing else of value to add here, but seeing many writing off even the possibility of the cable being the problem, glad to be back to suggest others "at least give swapping cables a try before saying it's not the solution".

footnote: I say almost flawless because there is one minor usability issue I have. Apparently playing

a song or podcast via Sync does not update the playcount for that item in the iPhone/iPod's metadata tags. For those who use Smart Playlists with a Playcount=0 rule, this is a minor issue as already listened to items aren't cleared from the device when re-syncing with iTunes. But that's a complaint for a different forum or thread.

Good luck to all. Microsoft Sync has its issues, but it's a darn cool feature set.

Question: Are you all leaving your devices plugged in 100% of the time? Are you turning on your car with your device plugged in?

I was having the EXACT smame problem.

I solved it completely by making sure I plugged my Zune in after the car was on.

I have talked to the Sync people about this and they are addressing the issue.

It is not ideal but my fix works for me 100% of the time.

Hope it works for all of you...

Question: Are you all leaving your devices plugged in 100% of the time? Are you turning on your car with your device plugged in?

I was having the EXACT smame problem.

I solved it completely by making sure I plugged my Zune in after the car was on.

I have talked to the Sync people about this and they are addressing the issue.

It is not ideal but my fix works for me 100% of the time.

Hope it works for all of you...

I've noticed that this helps, plugging the device in after the car is on and letting it connect. But, mine still disconnects when it charges fully. I've talked to the sync people numerous times now, and nobody has got back with me like promissed, I'm thinking about starting to take it in and get replacements until they decide to address my problem. I did hear that another update it coming out, but not until April...

Speaking with level 2 support yesterday, they suggested that Keyspan cable that has both a miniplug and a dock connector is a good workaround until the Sync software is updated. Anyone try this?

I've noticed that this helps, plugging the device in after the car is on and letting it connect. But, mine still disconnects when it charges fully. I've talked to the sync people numerous times now, and nobody has got back with me like promissed, I'm thinking about starting to take it in and get replacements until they decide to address my problem. I did hear that another update it coming out, but not until April...

Speaking with level 2 support yesterday, they suggested that Keyspan cable that has both a miniplug and a dock connector is a good workaround until the Sync software is updated. Anyone try this?

I guess I'm not sure what cable you're talking about. Keyspan? At least you got a response though, I work a mile away and I can't get a damn response still!

I purchase a 2008 Ford Edge Limted AWD approx one month ago and was experiencing the same issue in terms of getting the "USB Cable Removed" error. I tried several new cables including both 3rd party and Apple cables, but still got same error.

In a last ditch effort to correct this issue, I purchased the Sync KeySpan cable for $60.00 and it RESOLVED the USB Cable Removed error and my 5th Generation 80GB video ipod works perfectly with the Sync system - no more error.

To order the Sync Cable from KeySpan, go to www.keyspan.com.

Thanks for the help.

I purchase a 2008 Ford Edge Limted AWD approx one month ago and was experiencing the same issue in terms of getting the "USB Cable Removed" error. I tried several new cables including both 3rd party and Apple cables, but still got same error.

In a last ditch effort to correct this issue, I purchased the Sync KeySpan cable for $60.00 and it RESOLVED the USB Cable Removed error and my 5th Generation 80GB video ipod works perfectly with the Sync system - no more error.

Thanks for the help.

Anyone find a work around for the Zune? I can only find an ipod cable.

Thanks for the help.

bummer you had to pop that much coin to make it work - but good to know. surprising as Apple cables are pretty high quality... not cheapos

Edited by Lex Talionis

bummer you had to pop that much coin to make it work - but good to know. surprising as Apple cables are pretty high quality... not cheapos

I'm pretty sure it's not just an issue with the cable; who knows. Sync called me a few days ago and bacically wanted my dealer to replace my sync module. They seemed to think that this was a better solution to the problem due to the fact that they do not know what the problem is yet. My sync worked fine with an ipod nano and an ipod picture a day ago. I just have a problem with my 30gig video. If it was just a cable, I would think it wouldn't work for any of the ipods. I'll post if and when my module gets replaced.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

My car went into the dealer yesterday and sure enough they are going to replace the sync module. They said that the "sync hotline people" said that there is an ipod compatibility issue and that the sync modules in the cars being built now are different. Whether it is just software I dont know, but regardless, the one I'm getting replaced had an issue. Unfortuanatly they told me I'd have to come back next week to get it replaced because the part could not be delivered overnight. I guess they said they are in demand right now, go figure. I should have mine replaced by some time next week, I'll post when that happens with my results. Hopefully everything will work. Good luck guys and I'd recommend going to your dealers. Have them call sync, they know of the problem and will attempt to fix it.

Edited by mustang90

UPDATE:

Sync is replaced and no more USB REMOVED error!!!! My only issue now is that its not responding to voice commands to find certain artists. All the required information is entered for each file, but I can only call out a few artist names. I can manually select them by going thru the menu, but voice commands are being a pain is the ass for me right now. So I guess its sorta fixed. All I know is that my buddies zune worked better with my sync then any ipod ever did. Good luck everyone. If anyone wants my dealer's name / number let me know.